recuperation after FTP training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

henkie

by henkie

How many hours (days) of recuperation do you need after a FTP-training?

The race is monday, I prefer to rest 2 days for the race, and recuperation training on the day for the race, but I haven't had much time to train the past days. I want to train today (sat). If I do a 2x20 FTP training, will I be recuperated monday?

What's your opinion?
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

1) I find that rest days before a race lead to a reduced performance. In saying that the loads up to a race will be significantly less than normal.

2) I used to do 2x20mins the day before a TT, but then I only trained ~4 days a week at the time. Whether YOU will be rested enough depends on your training for the past few months.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

henkie

by henkie

Thanks for your answer.

Nys (Belgian cyclocrosser) said the same as you, he trains hard the day for the race. Maybe I can give it a try.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

Geoff

by Geoff

Everyone is different. I know I am always better with at least 24 hours off the bike. I was always better in one-day events than stage races. You know your body best...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

edit: wrong thread!
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

false_Aesthetic

by false_Aesthetic

I did a few different training plans that advocated rest days or weeks before my biggest races.

I blew those. I dunno why. My legs just felt dead.

I do better with a little bit of fatigue in em.

YMMV.

barry78

by barry78

no rest days before key races , just recovery rides with 4 x 5 min sets at threshold to wake the legs up , maybe 3 hours riding in the two days before the race. That works for me :)

naisan

by naisan

I've found that the day before a race, I can train hard, as long as I don't do too much anaerobic work or go beyond normal durations. Oftne a fun group ride under threshold brings me to the best the day after.

Best to try a few things to see how your body does.

henkie

by henkie

Thanks for the advice. I rested 2 days for the race and did a 1x20 FTP training (1x20 instead of 2x20, because I wanted to try), the day for the race. My legs felt quite good. The race wasn't really long (100km). Don't know if I should do it before a longer race (150km).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barry78

by barry78

how did you do ?