My new baby...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Powerful Pete wrote:Congratulations.

Remember, riding now is your second priority...

What planet are you on?

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/#11

(my wife despairs of me ;) )
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

devinci

by devinci

Just my opinion but im not sure its the best idea to post such pictures on an internet forum...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lcoolb

by lcoolb

You're right, thanks. Got a bit carried away there...

boysa

by boysa

#1. Congratulations!
#2. Don't despair. My son just turned 14mos, and in the last year I've had to make a lot of adjustments. What I've discovered, however, is how to make better use of my time on the bike. I can't get the same hours/week I did pre-fatherhood, but now I think the hours I do train are much more productive. I can say this because I think my form is better than ever. Actually, I know it is!
#3 Being a dad is simply AWESOME.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kos

by kos

I have two kids, 7 and 4. The oldest knocked me off the bike for three years. Just when I was getting back on, the second came. I was off the bike another year and a half. Every time I tried to go out, my wife would resent me, and it made for some tense marital moments.

What worked:

1) Get your significant other interested in training. Mine runs. It's easier to get away for a few hours if she gets to also get away for a few hours training for her marathon.

2) Learn to ride indoors. It was painful for me. But I finally got used to late-night rides on the trainer. I put the kids down (my nightly duty), then head out to the garage/gym. It's pretty miserable, after a long day of work and family to put in another 2 hours on the indoor trainer, but it's what I have to do. I put the bike in front of the TV and can at least catch up on my DVR'd shows.

3) Negotiate kid ownership. That is, I own the kids on Saturday. She gets them on Sunday, when I do my long outdoor rides. I also try to head out early Sunday so I'm back by noon. That way, even on "my" day, I still hang out with the family in the afternoon. Now you won't be able to do this for at least a year (assuming breast feeding). Not only are you unable to nurse, but milk production means she has to feed or pump or she'll be in pain. But eventually, you'll get the chance.

4) Gift her spa treatments, or just take the kid(s) away at unexpected times. The goodwill generated helps alleviate the inevitable bitterness when you're off for a day doing a race or century.

5) Play the "health" card. You want to be around a long time for your kid(s)! To do that, you have to stay in shape! And to stay in shape, you have to ride! Use this only as a last resort. It's argumentative and does little to soothe her immediate kid-related frustrations.

Enjoy the new kid. And when it gets tough these first few months, know that it DOES get better. And soon, you'll have a moment like today when my 7 yo son ran up to me psyched that I was watching the Tour and said, "I hope Garmin wins today!"

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Thanks for the very useful tips, kos!

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Any way you can commute to work? I do most of my training on my way home. An easy spin in the morning, and intervals, hill repeats, or speed work on the way back. Then I usually get in a longer ride on Sunday morning.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Congrats! I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old. I wish I could say that I've had plenty of time to ride since the kids were born but to be 100% honest your riding will take a hit. The first year of my oldest was definately the hardest but it does get better. YOur basically going to have to be grateful for the short rides you get in and hope for longer ones initially. But it does get better...again congrats.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the truth being you won't be riding like the 'old days'! The other side of the coin is that you won't even care. Mine is 3 and has been riding a bike for 2 seasons now. He is already helping me glue tubulars and can download SRM data! So much fun.

lobular

by lobular

If you can manage it, try to stay on the bike. You might not get out as much or for as long as you like, but aside from maintaining your fitness it's a great outlet when dealing with the added pressures of being a new dad. You will be far busier and tired than you ever have been before, but there is always 'time' for 'bike time'.

eurperg

by eurperg

Three daughters here, 7, 3 and 11 months... My luck I only started riding 7 years ago so I don't even know what it's like without kids... :lol:

My spare time usually starts at 9 PM after the kids are asleep. So it's a choice between spending time with my wife or with my bikes too often... :oops:

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Yeah, my wife realises that too now ;)

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Quite frankly, just because you get a baby doesn't or shouldn't mean no riding. You do need to re-prioritize a lot of things and maybe cut out some too.

I don't know about most of you, but my wife ended up doing a lot more of the care than me, especially at night. Feedings and such. What I did was move my hours around. I would get up at 3 AM and be out by 3:30 AM riding for 2-2.5 hr. I would get home, take a quick shower and be out the door by 6:30 AM. When I would get home, I would do a lot more with the kids until they went to bed giving my wife a break. This became more regular as they got older and got some sleeping patterns past the first 3 months. So, instead of watching tv at the end of the day, I would be in bed by 9PM, which is shortly after the kid/s would go to bed.

Moral of the story is it can be done. You just have to be willing to move things around and prioritize.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

dgasmd, that is pretty hard core, riding at 3AM.

I feel badass riding @ 5AM... you have put me to shame!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andychasteen

by andychasteen

I have a 16 month old. I was back to rolling 12 hour weeks by the time she was 3 months. Here's how:

Get a trailer. I bought a nice Chariot Cougar. A sweet little set up that was comfy for my little one. I could take her out in hot weather (just leave the mesh so she gets a nice breeze) or in the cold (bundle her up in some Patagonia kiddo down) and she was cozy warm. My wife needed her breaks away from watching the baby, and when she did I came to rescue. I would take Maverick (my girl) out in the Chariot to the local bike trail (not on roads) for a 2 hour spin. Boom, I get my training and the wife gets her break. And Maverick gets a nap in the Chariot, once she got settled and used to it which was only a couple of rides. Not to mention you're pushing higher wattage to pull a trailer like that. It set me up for my best season of racing ever.

I also would do late night rides. Maverick would go down at around 7:30-8:30 and within an hour I was out the door. A 2 hour night ride is good for the soul. Get some good lights.

I have a flexible job where I can take long lunch breaks. I will often go out for a 2 hour ride during lunch.

Commute to work (if you can). Get creative. You'd be surprised at how well a sink, a towel, deodorant, baby powder and some wet wipes works for a shower. I even found a closet that my company would allow me to keep clothes in so I didn't have to lug a backpack every day. Most companies would be thrilled to have an employee that pedaled to work. It's good for their image. If you live close to work, leave early and take the long way in. Or the long way home.

Saturday mornings we have a group ride that leaves out of the local bike shop at 6 am. I leave my house at 4:30 am, ride for 1.5 hours and get to the bike shop for the ride at 6. Then a 3 hour group ride, a 15 minutes to ride home. I've got almost 5 hours in, am home by 9:30, and have the rest of the day with my family.

I don't ride on Sundays. That is church and family time. Except for during race season. :)

Those rules pretty much still apply today even with her being almost 2 years old. If I feel like I'm pushing my luck with the wife I'll lay off for a while. But sometimes it works great and I'm busting out 18 hr weeks. Which has been ALL THIS MONTH of July!! WOO HOO!!!

Good luck. Be creative. My girl came to really love riding in the Chariot, it's an adventure for her. She gets all pumped up when she sees me putting my team kit on.
Attachments
photo-2.jpg