HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am 

Hi,

I'm 1.76cm and 64 kg. I'm currently riding a 52,5 cm top tube frame with 50 cm seattube and 13.5 cm headtube lenght.
I'm running a 3 cm setback seatpost.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you think of my bike fitting? I feel pretty good with the bike but I think maybe I should get a 54 cm frame(the last frame was a 54 with a 12 cm stem and 2 cm setback seatpost).

The bike fitting is:
Tip of Saddle to center of Bars : 55.5 cm
C of front hub to top of bars : 57cm
Saddle height: 74.5 cm
Top tube: 52,5cm
Stem : 13 cm

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:02 pm 

From that angle it's almost impossible to tell how your fit is. You need to have two angles (and preferably a video), side perpendicular to bike and front view. Side view should include bottom of pedal stroke.

A few things I suspect though... your seat might be too low and you are pretty cramped up on the bike (too short reach).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 pm 

Another 2 pictures

hope they help a little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 pm 

octav wrote:
Hi,

What do you think of my bike fitting? I feel pretty good with the bike but I think maybe I should get a 54 cm frame(the last frame was a 54 with a 12 cm stem and 2 cm setback seatpost).

The bike fitting is:
Tip of Saddle to center of Bars : 55.5 cm
C of front hub to top of bars : 57cm
Saddle height: 74.5 cm
Top tube: 52,5cm
Stem : 13 cm

i think the bike fits-of course, you could get a 54 with a shorter stem, but i think, it wouldnt make a significant difference. maybe, it would be a little more harmonious, because a 130 stem seems to be quite long for a 525 top-tube. furthermore you could leave out one or to spacers.

my height is 172 cm, but i am extremly "leggy", my inside-leg is 85 cm!

my bike fitting is:
Tip of saddle to center of bars: 54 cm
c of front hub to top of bars: 55 cm
saddle height: 74,8 cm (very flat shoe/pedal-system:look keo carbon with adidas adistar ultra)
top tube: 52,8 cm
Stem 110 (10°)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 am 

Thanks Krull. I feel pretty good on the bike but I think I have a little birdy in my head that says to me I need a 54cm frame and lighter wheels :)) Probably it's fine like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:26 pm 

You look okay, though it's hard to tell from pics. For me the most important thing is stem length.

I'm 173cm and have 52cm, 54cm and 56cm bikes (great bargains!) and ride all three regularly without noticing that the frame is a different size. However, it took me about 6 or 7 stem changes before I got the reach right so that it's exactly the same on each one.

So, like you said, it's probably just in your head that you need a new frame. Then again..... it feels good to buy new bike parts :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:57 pm 

For the moment I think I'll buy another handler ( with less reach) to see what's the difference. And i'll borrow a 140 mm stem from a friend :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:49 pm 

I think certainly your seat height is too low. You are almost hanging your butt off the back of the bike and that is usually a sign of the body looking for length to stretch your hamstring.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm 

My first question - do you ride with a club or team? If you do, then the old heads there should be able to give you some pretty good advice. I would turn to these guys rather than pay for fitting.

This said, I think your frame is too small, based on both your measurements and your photos, as has been observed. It is not a disaster, but I would definitely start the process of trying to find one that fits and working out how to do this within your budget. Whilst young it is worth getting your body into good position habits, rather than having to do this later on.

I know this invites plenty of people to give their measurements and tell how successful they are, but a 52cm frame with 140mm stem sounds plain wrong. For both aesthetics and handling frame sizing and stem length should go up hand-in-hand. Stem length is a way to make small changes rather than address a wrong sized frame. Your 3cm setback sounds small for your height, and this is reflected in your body seeking to sit far back on the saddle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:48 pm 

euan wrote:
I think certainly your seat height is too low. You are almost hanging your butt off the back of the bike and that is usually a sign of the body looking for length to stretch your hamstring.

+1 leg not fully extended at the bottom of the pedal turn, maybe be a offset seatpost, with extra height :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:39 pm 

When you said its a 3cm set back seat post do you mean the seat post has 3cm of set back or your saddle nose is 3cm behind the bb?

If its the later then that sounds a bit small too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:40 pm 

The seatpost has a 3cm offset. I didn't measure the setback yet. I will measure it and post it. I'll do a longer ride tomorrow with a higher saddle to see what it's happening.
I don't belong to a club but ride with some guys that do this for a living. I asked them and they said that I should do it like I feel best. But this isn't the best advice :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:46 pm 

don't increase it too much. 1cm to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 pm 

I increased it exactly 1 cm today and it's much better. I did 150 km and legs are not hurting so I think it's ok. I feel a little bit the need to get back on the saddle but not that much anymore. Should I get it a little bit higher. I'll measure the setback today and post it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 pm 

ghisallo2003 wrote:

I know this invites plenty of people to give their measurements ......

...which would be very desirable, i really find it very interesting, to compare my position with those of other riders.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next