Sprinting, hillclimbing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

So, when I'm climbing.. actually whenever I'm out of my seat and standing up, I feel really inefficient. Whats the best way to improve technique for the best power transfer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Standing up to pedal is the most inefficient way to power a bicycle, but sometimes it has to be done. The only thing I can suggest is to keep your elbows in and try not to thrash around to much. Also only stand when you really need that extra power.

KH1

by KH1

It depends on what you mean by feel inefficient.
Climbing out of the saddle requires much more effort physically so you should feel more exhausted/taxed when doing this.
It could be your technique/position on the bike but without any clue on what you look like climbing I suspect it will be hard for anyone to comment on that.
What you will get a lot of now in the way of advice is - do more climbing. Which in reality is about the best advice you can get. Everyone has different ideas/technique and really it's whatever you are most comfortable with but ultimately it comes down to how much you do.
The more you do the better you get at it. When I'm training for climbs I try to do more of what I think I'm struggling with (Generally that's climbing full stop). So I have a few sections of climbs in my area that I only ride standing - usually I'm knackered by the time I get to the top but I also see/feel the improvement over time.
Hope that helps.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

rustychain

by rustychain

I spent a summer doing long out of the saddle climbs. I'm talking 5 miles + climbs standing and I'm a big guy. I learned to be more efficient climbing and got to the point were my heart rate was lower at a given power range standing rather then sitting! Part is adapting and part is learning proper form. It's a great skill to have and allows me to climb farther and faster as it uses different muscle groups. My advise is to practice those things you want to get better at.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Rick

by Rick

I have the same weakness out of the saddle. I just can't do it for more than about 30 sec.
I am getting some advice from good climbers who say: 1. do it more to get used to it, 2. Find your own rythmn (practice) 3. Get really skinny.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I find that people who are

1. have handle bars set higher than the seat
2. have poor bike handling skills

will likely have a hard time when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting.

True? or False
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HillRPete

by HillRPete

cmdr199212 wrote:So, when I'm climbing.. actually whenever I'm out of my seat and standing up, I feel really inefficient. Whats the best way to improve technique for the best power transfer?

I can just tell you what worked for me, by chance. During the winter I did lots of fell running, which apparently improved the muscles used when out of the saddle. My new bike also has a longer top tube, I'm more relaxed standing up now. Also with the improved strength I'm pedaling a faster rhythm (instead of using a higher gear), that seems to help too.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

KH1 wrote:Everyone has different ideas/technique and really it's whatever you are most comfortable with

Exactly. Take a few of the Tour contenders' standing climbing technique.

Evans - Very hunched over, lower cadence. When I watch him I can almost hear myself saying left - right - left - right.

Contador - Super fluid when standing. High cadence, relaxed, head up, almost caressing the bike side to side.

Basso - Ever seen him up on the pedals?

The best thing to to get out there and ride some hills. Try a fast cadence, try a slower cadence. See what works for you. Be aware, almost everyone will naturally raise their power when standing to climb. If you want to get good at it, you need to learn to regulate your standing efforts so you don't go into the red and blow.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Rick

by Rick

The best thing to to get out there and ride some hills. Try a fast cadence, try a slower cadence. See what works for you. Be aware, almost everyone will naturally raise their power when standing to climb. If you want to get good at it, you need to learn to regulate your standing efforts so you don't go into the red and blow.

That right there is something I need to work on. I feel so much more efficient sitting that I usually don't even try to stand until I am a 99.999% of supernova.
I am assuming that practice will give me more confidence to rise out of the saddle earlier, and climb out of the saddle at a more controlled pace.
The examples of Evans, Contador, and Basso are excellent. Each is a top climber; but completely different styles. You have to find what works for you.

Here is some good climbing technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0FF1Kw ... er&list=UL

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

Thanks for all the replies!! Btw, stella-azzura, I understand where ur coming from, working at a bike shop has def allowed me to see those bikes... lol. That isn't my issue tho.. I think that I will definitely be doing more climbing, and working on hill repeats. Any other suggestions?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

A distinction:- getting out of the saddle to pedal or to stand on the pedals?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

To pedal.. lol

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The distinction I was trying to make is the difference in being out of the saddle and pushing the pedals or hoisting yourself up and down only using the effect of gravity on your body to move the pedal. Two very different things.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Dave Kirk, a long-time custom frame builder who built Serottas for the Coors Light team back in the day, published a little blog write up on the distinction between out of saddle efforts on climbs vs. sprints. Here it is, for your edification:

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/page/23/

LouisN

by LouisN

bricky21 wrote:Standing up to pedal is the most inefficient way to power a bicycle.

Do you think CE knows that :wink: ?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com