HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:20 am
Posts: 506
Location: Marin county, ca
so i am a highschool racer and i have often though of drinking really strong coffee before races to boost my energy. have any of you guys done this. i'm experimenting with it to see how long it takes me to have to pee really badly. the coffee i drink is 100mg of caffeine per 8 oz and gu is 20 mg. thanks
-mpap


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 pm
Posts: 478
mpap89 wrote:
so i am a highschool racer and i have often though of drinking really strong coffee before races to boost my energy. have any of you guys done this. i'm experimenting with it to see how long it takes me to have to pee really badly. the coffee i drink is 100mg of caffeine per 8 oz and gu is 20 mg. thanks
-mpap


it is a complex answer...

caffein has been demonstrated to improve the body's effiency in glycogen metabolism... the good thing is that the effects do not become flattened by habit.

however - caffein has also been demonstrated to be a diuretic... but the good news is that with consistent use, your body gets used to it and it shouldn't dehydrate you unless you don't drink.

I would drink espresso rather than brewed coffee just because brewed coffee has more water (bloating for me) and espresso has less caffein than brewed joe. There's a medical text journal I read last semester concerning this specifically...

here's just a snip from a paper I wrote concerning this...

Quote:
Caffeine is a well known performance enhancement drug. Having being previously banned completely by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), it is now a restricted drug (no dose higher than 12mg/L of urine sample). The review cites sever studies that demonstrate the performance enhancing qualities of caffeine. Among the benefits found in the various studies summarized, was the evidence that caffeine ingested at 5mg/kg concentration an hour prior to exercise “increased time to fatigue by 20% during intense cycling.” This implies the delayed depletion of glycogen stores in the athlete’s muscles and liver.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:48 pm
Posts: 488
Location: All over....
interesting... what has that much caffeine? for a 63kg cyclist like myself that's over 300mg, a double shot of espresso only has around 130 or so (at starbucks)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 pm
Posts: 478
xcfisher wrote:
interesting... what has that much caffeine? for a 63kg cyclist like myself that's over 300mg, a double shot of espresso only has around 130 or so (at starbucks)


espresso generally has less caffein than joe coffee - the quick pressure means the grinds aren't soaked as long and the caffein content is lower (despite stronger taste for same volume).

But you really don't need 5mg/kilo to have the benefits... that's too much for me personally (get too jumpy and maybe even heart palpitations).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:48 pm
Posts: 488
Location: All over....
so what do you recommend?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 pm
Posts: 478
xcfisher wrote:
so what do you recommend?


get as much or as little as you are comfortable with - there's no telling how much you can use without trial and experimentation. Even if it was in an insignficant amount ;) a placebo effect can be good enough.

the amounts used in the test were just picked that way because it was for a scientific paper and researchers need to validate the test with a specific dosage to standardize the testing procedures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:20 am
Posts: 506
Location: Marin county, ca
yeah if i drink 100mg worth of caffeine i get really jumpy and start to get really uncomfortable. but i'm going to experiment in the offseason. the weird thing is that for the rest of the day i kind of feel like i'm out of sorts kinda. thanks for the info.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 1288
ShinyBaldy wrote:
mpap89 wrote:
so i am a highschool racer and i have often though of drinking really strong coffee before races to boost my energy. have any of you guys done this. i'm experimenting with it to see how long it takes me to have to pee really badly. the coffee i drink is 100mg of caffeine per 8 oz and gu is 20 mg. thanks
-mpap


it is a complex answer...

caffein has been demonstrated to improve the body's effiency in glycogen metabolism... the good thing is that the effects do not become flattened by habit.

however - caffein has also been demonstrated to be a diuretic... but the good news is that with consistent use, your body gets used to it and it shouldn't dehydrate you unless you don't drink.

I would drink espresso rather than brewed coffee just because brewed coffee has more water (bloating for me) and espresso has less caffein than brewed joe. There's a medical text journal I read last semester concerning this specifically...

here's just a snip from a paper I wrote concerning this...

Quote:
Caffeine is a well known performance enhancement drug. Having being previously banned completely by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), it is now a restricted drug (no dose higher than 12mg/L of urine sample). The review cites sever studies that demonstrate the performance enhancing qualities of caffeine. Among the benefits found in the various studies summarized, was the evidence that caffeine ingested at 5mg/kg concentration an hour prior to exercise “increased time to fatigue by 20% during intense cycling.” This implies the delayed depletion of glycogen stores in the athlete’s muscles and liver.


I am afraid your initial comment is wrong - it does not improve glycogen efficiency as you point out. What is does do is helps release free fatty acids into the blood for use, thereby sparing glycogen. It doesn't work on glycogen per se....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 pm
Posts: 478
yes - you are right, pardon my bad memory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:39 pm
Posts: 358
Why not just take a 200mg caffiene pill about an hour before riding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm
Posts: 2509
Location: Oxford - UK
Pro-Plus?

_________________
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am
Posts: 1386
Location: Sydney, Australia
Increasing metatbolism and assisting the conversion of fatty acids are the same. Your metabolism is the speed at which your body can turn food and fat into energy.

I've tried caffine and got nothing out of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:28 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Australia
I would recommend that you experiment with caffeine in training before you use it before a race....

A couple of months ago was experimenting with pre-ride caffeine and went for a bunch ride....... and I was a little too hypo and managed to bump someone else and come off at about 50..... believe me its the last thing you want to do...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 1288
Bruiser wrote:
Increasing metatbolism and assisting the conversion of fatty acids are the same. Your metabolism is the speed at which your body can turn food and fat into energy.

I've tried caffine and got nothing out of it.


Sorry Bruiser, going to have to disagree here. Metabolism is the rate at which your body burns calories. Transfer of fatty acids for use in exercise is totally different - it takes an aerobically efficient metabolism to do this!

Caffeine is a very individual thing, as there have been shown to be non-responders ie, people upon whom it has no effect

Some research i was involved in looked at 3, 6 and 9 mg per kg body mass and its effects. we found that 6mg per kg body mass got the best (including statistically significant) results: 3mg was too low, whereas 9mg was too high

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, so even 3mg would slap me around - the key is to experiment as others have suggested...

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:50 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am
Posts: 1386
Location: Sydney, Australia
The word metabolism is one of the health jargon words that gets thrown around.

You're probably right though I think I saw a second definition of metabolism there.

The theory I heard for caffine was that it helped burn fat not fatty acids, but it's been a few years since that lecture.

I don't drink coffee (ever!) and I was a non-responder. I don't sleep after caffine but it doesn't make me hypo. Not sure if there is any connection there.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. From Fulcrum Racing 1 to Racing Zero

in Road

digitalnorbs

8

2849

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:04 pm

EnEijE View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. racing XCO in france

in MTB

Rikc

3

457

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Rikc View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Racing in Sweden

in Cycle Chat

russianbear

4

427

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Snabb View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 13 SS Evo HiMod Red Racing B/G

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Boralb

20

2819

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:06 pm

manne View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. How to train when I am racing every Sunday?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ]

in Training

welkman

45

3287

Wed May 29, 2013 7:18 pm

rkwaki View the latest post


It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB