HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Broken pelvis anyone?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm 

I went to buy some new MTB shoes a couple of weeks ago. On my way from the shop (on my city bike), the shopping bag with the shoes was hanging from the handle bars (I've done this a million times when shopping). Suddenly the bag hit the spokes of the front wheel, and I was thrown over the handlebars (speed approx. 30 km/h). I broke my pelvis (the iliac wing to be exact), and had surgery done (see the attached x-ray).

The doctors have told me that the fracture have been stabilized, and told me that I can use my left leg, as long as it doesn't hurt. I am walking with crutches, but I can walk a little bit. They also told me that I couldn't ride a bicycle at least until the first check after six weeks (surgery was done one week ago today).

Has anyone had experience with rehabilitation after such an injury? I'd really like to get on the bike as soon as possible, I can't stand just waiting... (tried this six years years ago, when I broke my back).

Last edited by the_marsbar on Wed May 20, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:24 pm 

Last year I broke my pubic bone left and right, sit bones left and right, coccyx and acetabulum (the socket where the thigh bone is attached)

I wasn´t allowed to put weight on my leg after 5 weeks because of acetabulum. You are a bit more lucky than I was sonce you allowed to stand on leg. If I were you I would get some rubber bands and start to train with them as soon as possible, train left and right leg. Do exercises 3 times a day.

Your injury is a bit different from mine, my guess is the only way I can relate to your future problems is the muscle strenght that is going to be different from right and left leg and the soreness.

I know the feeling to get back on the bike, maybe you could ask the doctors if it is ok to just use rollers.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:24 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm 

I broke my pelvis (inferior and superior post ramus) in a bike accident back in November. I didn't need any surgery, so I got to wait for it to heal on it's own. My doctors told me I wouldn't be fully healed for 6 weeks, but that I could do pretty much whatever I wanted as long as I could tolerate the pain.

I spent two weeks on crutches and didn't touch my bike. After two weeks I put my bike on the trainer and was able to ride for short periods, often supporting myself with my crutches to avoid putting much weight on the saddle. A few days later I felt comfortable sitting on the saddle, and just about 3 weeks after the accident I was back on the bike outside again.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 am 

I fractured my pubic ramus just over two weeks ago.

Surgery not required. I'm walking with the assistance of a zimmer frame because i'm still struggling with walking properly. I'm having to concentrate my weight on my left leg. I've been told the recovery period is 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:47 am 

Thanks for the replies :) I guess I'll have to be patient and see what happens. First step must be to be able to walk properly, without crutches, before jumping on the bike.

Good luck with your injuries, I hope you are healing well and quickly.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:20 am 

Get yourself a small, cheap rucksack ordered too...... I thought most people learnt the folly of bags on the handlebars before they got out of short trousers! I know I've had skinned knees from doing that (good while ago now!)

Good luck with the healing process.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 am 

I won't be carrying bags like that anymore. My girl friend's parents gave me a basket to put on my city bike. Most of the time my backpack is filled with other stuff (books, laptop, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:16 pm 

I fractured my pelvis too. Stable, but spent a week in bed and 2 or 3 more on crutches. I hopped on a road bike at 3 months and have since converted my 29er to a cyclocross. Patience was important, but as a result I discovered road riding.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:12 pm 

If you are insured, your insurance company will pay treatments at a physiotherapist for 1 year. I think it is 1 or 2% of your insurance amount (forsikringssum) that they will cover for payments for treatments, read your policy or call your company. You need an official letter from the hospital in order to get free treatment. Get started with rehabilitation as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 pm 

The funny thing is, I asked about that already (multiple times), but they don't think I need physiotherapy (yet at least), which puzzles me...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:04 pm 

You need someone who can guide you in exercises, a physiotherapist. Use my case as an example, 1 year later I cannot walk more than 20 minutes without pain. I started p-therapy after 2 months, of course I wasn´t allowed to put weight on my right leg (because of acetabulum) after 5-6 weeks but don´t tell them that :) they said that they would give me home training but it never happened. Keep pushing, sooner training=faster recovery=cheaper for everybody they cannot argue with that. I think the problem is that you will probably be signed to a rehabilitation center but max. 3 months and they don´t think you will be able to much training now but if you are already walking a bit without crutches you are the same condition as I was when I started at a rehabilitation center maybe even better. I took my bike to the center because the bus was to far away for me to walk even with crutches. Lie about your condition and say you are better than they think you are

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:17 pm 

I have cracked pubic rami as someone above did. Hurt like Hell for 6 weeks. No other problems.

This is a non weight bearing area but a lot of important cycling muscles attach to that area. You definitely should not be riding outside because of the impacts and potential for further accident. As much as it sucks having the plates put in, removing and replacing bent plates and broken screws is worse.

Pain allowing you would probably be fine on a trainer spinning-not rollers. No high power output either. That being said coming back after 6 weeks isn't that bad, will come back a lot quicker than you think.

Early physio is a good idea. Swimming is probably an even better idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm 

The doctors would not send me to a physiotherapist, which I'm a bit curious about.

I can walk without the crutches now (10 days since surgery), but it doesn't look pretty, and the left side of my calf feels like it's been riding 1000 km (I suppose it's because they had to cut some of the muscles when they inserted the metal). I'm thinking that I'm healing pretty well, but I also know that I should be taking it easy...

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm