Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Patellar Tendonitis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:14 pm 

I've had patellar tendonitis for about 4 weeks now and I'm really struggling to get rid of it.

Here is what I have tried: Week 1 - rest (no improvement)
Week 2 - rest and stretches (lots of improvement)
I saw a Physio who identified a few potential causes and prescribed exercises which I have been doing
Week 3 - two bike rides, one run and stretches. The run hurt afterwards and set my recovery back a bit
Week 4 - Rest, ice, stretches and bike fit. The bike fit did correct stuff which could have caused the injury.
Week 5 - knee felt pretty much perfect and went for an easy ride. Next to none discomfort riding. The next day (today) I can feel tightness in the tendons and slight pain when putting load on the knee.

I feel like I am doing everything I can do make this go away but obviously it's not fully healed.

My questions are:
1) Will riding make any difference? I could see how it can definitely make it worse of the tendons are getting damaged, but I can also see that there are benefits in stimulating blood flow to the area to repair damage.
2) What else can I do to make this go away? I feel like it should have gone by now.

Post subject: Re: Patellar Tendonitis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:40 pm 

Did running cause it or did cycling cause it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 pm 

RimClencher wrote:
Did running cause it or did cycling cause it?

Cycling.

Cycling continues to make it worse unfortunately do. As did the one run I went on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:32 pm 

When I got it, raising my saddle height helped, along with reducing load on the knee while cycling. I did this by starting from traffic lights in my lowest gear, increasing cadence overall, and favouring the opposite leg a lot (i.e., almost riding one-legged). Adjusting riding style like this can take a bit of getting used to though. It means no sprinting away from any traffic lights, and no heavy gears whatsoever.

Might be best to stop running completely until it clears up enough to cycle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm 

I'm no Dr Butt:

For what it's worth, chondromalacia patellae (I gather it's also known as runner's knee) or patellofemoral syndrome is sometimes (often?) misdiagnosed as patella tendonitis because the pain is pretty much in exactly the same spot. This happened to me a long time ago.

Two physios misdiagnosed me, and a month of their recommended treatment did nothing (ice, rest and stretching), then the third guy got it right, and one simple exercise he gave me fixed me in less than a week. The simple exercise was straight leg-raises with very light weights. Were you told to do that exercise?

He diagnosed me by simply having my leg flat on his bench and pressing on my cap and rubbing it around. He felt roughness, hence his diagnosis of chondromalacia patellae.

Chondromalacia is caused by a dodgy tracking of the knee cap, resulting in the cap rubbing on the femur, which then results in grinding, roughness and eventually pain. I think it can happen for a few different reasons, but my physio said that mine was caused by a a misfiring of the quads, causing my cap not to get pulled up and out of the way of the femur quickly enough during knee flexion. So, tightening the middle quads fix it.

Twenty or so years on, it can still sneak back, but I still do as many kms as I like; I just do the straight leg-raises a couple of times a week as part of my routine.

I used to jog a fair bit back then, but that was the worst thing for it, so I'd recommend ditching running for a little while.
I quit running, because cycling was always my priority. A few years ago I jogged about 1km with my dog, and my knee flared up and bothered me on and off for a few months, so I doubt I'll ever jog again.

Other treatments for similar conditions -- chiefly patellofemoral syndrome -- basically involve trying to loosen all the outer stuff with stretching and rolling (lateralis, IT band, tibialis anterior, glutes and tensor fasciae latae), and trying to strengthen the medialis, which is very hard to do, because it's impossible to isolate, despite what some people say. In fact, according to many sites, it could be a myth that the medialis can be strengthened independently of the other quads.