Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

Little background: Relatively new cyclist (<1 year competing), endurance running background, decent ftp (upper 200s)

Is there any prescient for doing 4 week periodization cycles if my only goal right now is to improve FTP?
For example:
Week 1: Mon/Wed/Fri = Sweet spot, Tues/Thursday/Sun = Recovery, Sat = Endurance
Week 2: Mon/Wed/Fri = Threshold intervals, Tues/Thursday/Sun = Recovery, Sat = Endurance
Week 3: Mon/Wed/Fri = VO2 max/anaerobic capacity, Tues/Thursday/Sun = Recovery, Sat = Endurance
Week 4: Mon/Wed/Fri = Recovery, Tues/Thursday/Sun = Recovery, Sat = FTP Test

My theory is that this type of training would specifically target FTP and allow for stepwise progression from month to month without stagnation.

Thoughts?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 am 

I know tapeworm and others are fans of training throughout the year. Tapering is more suited for those maxing out their body's ability whereas us amateurs typically don't see that type of stress. I prefer that methodology as well. With that said, I know tapeworm would prescribe more Z2/Z3 in the offseason and then work on honing the top end right before and during season to induce stress.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 am 

That's an awful lot of Recovery. Just curious why you would want that much time off?

My opinion, of course, but if my focus was to improve FTP, I'd train FTP. Knock out 2x20s either two or three times each week, repeat for a few months or until you see the gains level off. Then change. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am 

Think Ryan answered the reason why you'd want that much recovery - so you could train all year round basically. Think that's the OP's intent here.

Unfortunately there's no study I've heard of that compares a full year round non-stop set of blocks like this comparing it to a contemporary model.

Might have to be your own guinea pig for a year to find out!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 am 

Sorry, but I still don't follow. Many people train year round without doing 3 days of recovery each and every week (in addition to 1 out of every 4 weeks!). Unless OP has some health issues, or is very old, I think it is overkill.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

Hmm, no I didn't really answer the OP's question at all. I'd agree that that is too much planned recovery time. However, I have done pretty well in the past with four days per week, but Saturday and Sunday were both at least 3 to 4 hours with a mix of very hard efforts. Come to think of it, almost everything I did was hard efforts.

Look in the time crunched training thread as Tapeworm provides a good routine in the first couple pages. Add volume from there. My personal experience is that volume seems to be one of the greatest contributors to improvement but not necessarily the most efficient.

I also like the form and fitness graph that Strava provides. There's a few issues with it that make it less than ideal so you'll want to use Training Peaks or Golden Cheetah. I believe the methodology was created by Coggan but basically you can monitor your estimated training load.

Also, regarding FTP tests, I find that I need to have at least a hard short ride in the day before a test otherwise my RPE goes through the roof.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm 

RyanH wrote:
I know tapeworm and others are fans of training throughout the year.

Thought this meant that the idea of the OP's was to repeat this 12 months of the years, as opposed to the usual, take time off in the winter, do base etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:30 pm 

Probably pointless to speculate more about what the OPs idea behind so much recovery time is, so I'll do it anyway and say that it could be due to his running background. From my observation, running programs often incorporate more recovery time and less volume than cycling, simply because of the impact and greater risk of overuse injuries, so he might be carrying that structure over to cycling.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:54 pm 

Maybe the OP can only ride Mon, Wed, Fri, & Saturdays?