Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

Hi all,

I tried to search for others' experience about this but wasn't successful.

I would like to finally try Rotor Q-Rings.
But, if I switch between multiple road bikes during the season, do I need to put Q-Rings on all of them?
I've got 3 bikes and 1 set of Q-Rings.

Would I have any problem if I didn't, from the physiological perspective, e.g., knee pain, muscle strain?

Thanks

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:29 pm 

If you are riding bikes with and without the Q-rings frequently (at least 1-2 days per week each), then I'd imagine you'd retain both muscle firing patterns and it wouldn't be a problem other than perhaps during the first few minutes of each ride, which is a warm up anyway. If you would be sticking with one type only for several weeks, then it may take longer to get used to the other type when you do finally get back on them.

As evidence, I cite that there are people out there using a mix of Q and round rings, like a Q 36t and a round 52t, with the belief that one is better for climbing and the other for spinning the flats. They are switching back and forth between each type of ring many times per ride.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:50 pm 

No problem, it's comparable to switching between pedaling sitting down vs. standing, only a smaller difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:32 pm 

I've used oval rings on my road bike for 2 seasons. In December 2015 I built a 29er for some winter fun. I still train mostly inside on the road bike in winter but get out on the 29er maybe 1-2 times a week for shorter rides. I always found my pedaling on my MTB (round) quite "lumpy" until I put an oval ring on it a few months ago.

So 85-90% on ovals and the rest on round didn't really work for me.

But I had ridden for agen on ovals without ever riding with round so guess I totally lost the muscle firing pattern. As above, if using both regularly you might be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 pm 

You do realise that it's only the rings that are oval don't you? The cranks (and therefore your legs) will still spin in a circle.
I've been using oval rings of various brands for years and switch from road to track to cross etc without any issue.
The ovality of the q rings just evens out the likely weakness in your pedal stroke and makes it easier to get over the dead spot in your pedalling circle without making you have to specifically train it out.
There is no getting used to or adapting to q rings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:02 pm 

I run an oval ring on my mtb, round on everything else. I find my body adjusts within 5minutes of riding.

Bicycle

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:02 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:31 pm 

gazrichards wrote:
You do realise that it's only the rings that are oval don't you? The cranks (and therefore your legs) will still spin in a circle.
I've been using oval rings of various brands for years and switch from road to track to cross etc without any issue.
The ovality of the q rings just evens out the likely weakness in your pedal stroke and makes it easier to get over the dead spot in your pedalling circle without making you have to specifically train it out.
There is no getting used to or adapting to q rings.

Yeah but the muscle firing patterns are different from pedaling I. Round vs oval rings.

I changed the MTB to an oval chain ring and suddenly just felt normal. Nice and smooth again and no lumpiness. But like I said. I didn't have the opportunity to keep riding a bike with round rings for ages after I changed the road bike to ovals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk