Training Routines

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

435 W is tremendous, it must be arround 5,8-6 w/kg for Hansen. I wish I just had 5 w/kg at peak form huh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naisan

by naisan

I'm a little time crunched, so here's my weekly:

Mon: Rest / no ride
Tue: (1HR) - 3X5-10 mins @FTP with equal rest between intervals
Wed: (1HR) - 4 minutes of HIIT (20s all out, 10s rest for each 30s block, repeated continually for 4 mins (8 blocks) ), 15 mins rest, then another 4 mins HIIT, OR do 6X3m @ 150%FTP
Thu: (1-1.5 HR) - 2X 20 @ Sweet spot power (say .83 X FTP)
Fri: Rest / no ride
Sat: 2 hours fartlek / tempo power with sprints and fun anaerobic grunts up hills (aiming for ~35mi with significant climbing)
Sun: 3 hrs sweet spot/endurance zones, maybe a group ride instead.
Totals about 8-9 hours per week training/riding time.

KWalker

by KWalker

This has been my last few weeks:

Thursday: Hour of power group ride doing a rolling paceline. Paceline usually has me right at my LT HR and I go up to about 195 BPM during pulls. We have 2 sprints during the ride and 1 all out 3 minute climb. Its not scientific, but its fun.

Friday: easy spin

Saturday: Off

Sunday: light warmup, Cross race ~45minutes, cool down, warm up again, race again ~1 hr

Monday: Spin easy 60 minutes

Tuesday: 7x30on/30 off. Do that 3 times with 7 minutes rest in between (rest=total length of intervals). Step this up weekly. The entire ride comes out to about 1.5 to 2 hours and the rest is usually at high L2 or tempo

Wednesday: off

Thursday: Group ride or if its not happening I improvise. This was last week: ~20 minutes warm up, 10 minutes at threshold, 2 minutes rest. Then I did 5 sets of 1 minute max/L6 followed by backing off and 5 minutes of a hard threshold pace. Rest was 5 minutes. I then finished off with 15 minutes at LT. Total ride duration was about 2 hours.

Friday: 2 hours single track on the cross bike.

traveled this past weekend so I took Saturday and Sunday off.

Monday: 2 hrs 45 minutes at a high L2 pace.
Tuesday: 2 hrs 45 minutes with quite a bit of climbing. Short, punchy climbs here so quite a bit of shorter threshold climbing and some supra threshold L6 climbing. Took quite a few pulls at tempo as well. Really just go by feel, respond to attacks when I'm following, pull as hard as I can when I'm not.
Wednesday: 60 minutes spin
Thursday: Group ride will be cancelled cuz of rain, so I will do some short intervals on the trainer. Probably my 30on/30offs maybe with a bit of threshold at the end.
Friday: Getting a retul fit so probably using that as my recovery spin.
Saturday: Off
Sunday: 2 races again

So basically all my intervals kind of mimic what I do in cross racing in some way. Either constant accelerations, or accelerations followed by riding at a set pace like when you hit the wide open sections. I try to get some decently long(er) rides in above 2 hours, but since those aren't really all that long I just make sure to include some tempo/LT and treat them like a very loosely termed SST ride. My goal right now is to ride under 10 hours a week, race on the weekends, and do enough during my weekly intervals to keep my ATL pretty constant and keep my CTL right under 100. This works out for my TSB being positive for races as well. I'm feeling pretty strong training like this and will probably do something similar during my build period depending on what the calendar looks like next season. I spent most of my summer riding 18 to 25 hours a week (4 months total) with 5 25 hour weeks and LOTS of threshold/tempo. I don't feel that doing a lot of LSD would really help right now so I compensate with intensity and then just step off the bike and rest when I can.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KH1

by KH1

Some really good sets being posted up so keep them coming. :thumbup:

My taper program must be working - 0 time on the road this week. All training done on the KK RnR with the big flywheel. Smashed the field with another rider and knocked him over in the sprint. It was a great feeling after coming back from injury and only 2 races.
So 2 race wins now and 2 2nds means up to C grade for me next week. As good as it feels being elevated through the ranks I know races are going to be much harder from now on. But my goal is to make B grade by the end of the crit season so obviously I'll be ferriting through these posts to cherry pick the best stuff :beerchug:

Here's another really good routine;

Crit race 50+ mins @ as fast as you can go :D
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

KWalker

by KWalker

I still believe that there is no replacement for hard racing for people at the lower levels as long as they don't overdo it. This means not trying to pull on the front and contend every sprint, but racing offers some great real world training and no matter how hard you try it can be difficult to ever do intervals that are identical to what you'd find in a race. I constantly find that I push certain outputs and heart rates for longer durations or with less rest than in training and that my form is best after 3 to 4 decent races than doing intervals at the same point in my training cycle.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

naisan

by naisan

KWalker wrote:there is no replacement for hard racing

Amen.

When I raced (ahem, a few decades ago), I'd spend the first few races going off the front like a crazed animal and force myself to hang on. . .those were tough days and no chance I'd win, but after a few weekends like that, I was very strong.

;-)

KH1

by KH1

naisan wrote:
KWalker wrote:there is no replacement for hard racing

Amen.

When I raced (ahem, a few decades ago), I'd spend the first few races going off the front like a crazed animal and force myself to hang on. . .those were tough days and no chance I'd win, but after a few weekends like that, I was very strong.

;-)

There's nothing like a bit of youthful enthusiasm to build endurance eh? Oh wait - I'm not in any way youthful and still lose my mind from time to time and go off the front thinking that famous Dolf Lundgren line "I must break you" - only it's typically me that ends up broken :lol:

Here is another workout. This is a great crit session and builds strength and endurance much like the powersteps routine.
I call it a Ramp Ups session;

10 minute warm up @ 65-75% FTP
Select a gear that has you spinning at about 95RPM and 80% FTP. Whatever cadence you are comfortable with is the cadence you should hold for each set.
Every minute change up 1 gear until you start to run out of gas then change back down 1 gear per minute until you come back to your starting gear. Each set will have an odd number of minutes. Mine are either 9 or 11 minute sets.
Repeat 3 times with 5 mins recovery in between sets. Warm down 10 minutes.
Total session should last between 57 and 63mins.
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

worstshotever

by worstshotever

I hate intervals. Who doesn't? I am just coming back from a 25 day respiratory infection that kept me off the bike, which makes it that much worse. At least my legs are not fatigued. Anywho, I'm dissapointed in my 1min surge power, so this week I tried 1 min max effort followed by 2 mins rest for about 45 minutes. First time I've tried it. It was funny that by halfway through the second interval I already felt like I was blowing up. By the last few efforts my "max" effort meant barely holding more than about 120% ftp near the end of the minute.

As an aside, now that I have a PT of my own, I really appreciate how insane the figures for Hansen and other pros truly are. Mind boggling.

KH1

by KH1

Does anyone have any sprint sessions they can post up?

Here are 2 of my Hill sessions.

This is a trainer hill simulation session. I have 2 versions of this but they are basically the same length in time.
The first is like hill repeats only with longer sets - I prefer the 3 long sets instead of 4 -6 short sets as it feels more like I've actually done some decent meters;
Heart Rate shouldn't go above 90%
10min warm up - (I usually spin at about 95-100 and around 70%FTP)
10 min climb @ 100% FTP and 80-85RPM (Should simulate about a 5% gradient)
5 min Recovery
10 min climb @ 100% FTP and 75-80RPM (Should simulate about an 6-8% gradient)
5min Recovery
10 min climb @ 100% FTP and 80-85RPM
10 min Recovery

The second version is harder and more like 2 continuous climbs with breaks.
Heart Rate shouldn't go above 90%
10 min warm up 90-100RPM up to 70% FTP
5 min @ 100% FTP and 80-85RPM
5 min @ 120% FTP and 70-75RPM
5 min @ 100% FTP and 85-90RPM
10 min recovery
3 min @ 120% FTP and 70-75RPM
Standing 2 min @ 120+% FTP and 60-70RPM
3 min @ 90% FTP and 90-95RPM
3 min @ 100% FTP and 85-90RPM
10 min Recovery
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Sprint sessions.

I'll assume we're talking about road sprinting here. Generally road sprints start at speed and rarely hit a person's 5 s max. Any decent amount of aerobic intensity will start to hamper the quality of the sprint sessions. Generally to ensure that the fast twitch muscle fibres are adequately stressed in a manner that will be beneficial to increased sprinting power they need to reach the peak of their power output. Being over geared will ensure that the muscle fibres and more importantly the neural pathways are set on being "slow" - they are not contracting as fast as they could (or should). Those with a power meter will be able to see that the power/torque curve relationship with lower gear sprints. You want the fibres to go harder and faster, not just harder.

Generally outside of track there is no real need for big gear standing starts and a more pure "strength" focus for sprints.

Workout 1
(best done with another rider or more).
-30mins easy pedalling (50% of FTP).
-Take it in turns to be lead rider. At a slow speed (approx 20kph) rider from behind starts sprint, rider(s) try to follow the wheel, no longer than 20seconds. Preference to lower gears. 10 minutes or more rest. Repeat x 4.
-30mins easy pedalling (50% of FTP).

Workout 2
-30mins easy pedalling.
-Starting almost stationary - 4 x 10sec small gear (39x17) sprints (out of saddle) aiming to "spin out", 10 minutes rest between efforts.
-30 mins easy pedalling.

Workout 3
-30 mins easy pedalling.
-Starting almost stationary - 6 x 20sec small gear, seated sprints.
-30 mins easy pedalling.

Workout 4
-30 mins easy pedalling
-1 min increase of speed to 110% of threshold, then (without changing gear) sprint out of saddle, 10 seconds, again try to spin out.
-30 mins easy pedalling.
(This is more "race simulation" as sprint power is likely to be below max)

Workout 5 (needs one other rider)
-30 mins easy pedalling
-Rider 1 is the lead out, start out building speed for 1min and then goes to full sprint - but seated. Rider 2 tries to get around. 20seconds max for the "sprint" component. 10mins rest. Repeat 6 times (a total of being lead 3 times and following rider 3 times)
-30 mins easy pedalling.
(This is more "race simulation" as sprint power is likely to be below max)

A couple more points. Be careful with sprints, I have dug myself into a deep hole doing sprint workouts. Whilst this was with a track focus if you manage to "switch it on" correctly and really put in a maximal effort the theorised stress to the CNS can be massive.

Second is that, on the road at least, sprints are rarely decided by sprint power alone, it is a relatively small component.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

KH1

by KH1

More great workouts by the stomach parasite :P
:thumbup:
I will try and work some or all of them into my weekly schedule :beerchug:

I did this variation of the 10 x 2 tonight - hard work!

10min warm up @ 65-70%FTP and no more than 70%MHR
9 x 2min @ 110-120%FTP 95-100RPM with 1 min recovery between - no more than 90% MHR by the end of the 9 sets
2 x 1min build to sprint (1 seated and 1 standing) with 1 min recovery between
10min Recovery
Total time is 50 mins
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

KH1

by KH1

Classic Pyramid

Can be done on a trainer or the road.

10+ minute warmup
1 min @ 105-110%FTP
1 min recovery
2 min @ 105-110%FTP
1 min recovery
3 min @ 105-110%FTP
2 min recovery
4 min @ 105-110%FTP
3 min recovery
5 min @ 105-110%FTP
4 min recovery
6 min @ 105-110%FTP
5 min recovery
5 min @ 105-110%FTP
4 min recovery
4 min @ 105-110%FTP
3 min recovery
3 min @ 105-110%FTP
2 min recovery
2 min @ 105-110%FTP
1 min recovery
1 min @ 105-110%FTP
10 min recovery
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Monday - 45 Minute Recovery Ride
Tuesday - 2 Hours with 4x3 Minute VO2 Max Efforts at 106-120% FTP & 30 Minutes Tempo at 76-90% FTP
Wednesday - 2.5 Hours Endurance Ride
Thursday - 2 Hours with 3x10 Minutes Threshold Intervals at 91-105% FTP
Friday - 45 Minute Recovery Ride
Saturday - 4.5 hours Endurance ride with 8x10s Maximum Sprint Efforts
Sunday - 4 hours Endurance ride with 2x40 minutes at 83-90% FTP

That would be the first week of 4 with the length of the intervals increasing gradually from one week to another. Week of recovery after the 4th week.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

thebigring

by thebigring

Is noone doing base? All this 150-200% of FTP interval work sounds pretty darn serious :shock:

I have been building up my endurance rides, currently 4 hours at 70% of FTP. Makes the 2 x 20 interval sessions seem like fun! :-D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

thebigring wrote:Is noone doing base? All this 150-200% of FTP interval work sounds pretty darn serious :shock:

I have been building up my endurance rides, currently 4 hours at 70% of FTP. Makes the 2 x 20 interval sessions seem like fun! :-D

What I'm doing is base (The post above yours). The only things that 4 hours at 70% FTP will get you is fatigued and a severe drop in testosterone. Base training is all about increasing FTP.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?