Need suggested cure for stomach problem...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

Its Tuesday now and I've been suffering from a stomach problem since Friday. I'd prefer not to take tablets or drugs (legal ones!!). Can anyone suggest a natural cure (i.e. fruit or food) for a bloated stomach with occassional pain like a dagger.

Originally had runny poo for 3 days also. Now just got trapped wind.

It's not from overtraining, so must be a bug or virus.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

Tippster wrote:Its Tuesday now and I've been suffering from a stomach problem since Friday. I'd prefer not to take tablets or drugs (legal ones!!). Can anyone suggest a natural cure (i.e. fruit or food) for a bloated stomach with occassional pain like a dagger.

Originally had runny poo for 3 days also. Now just got trapped wind.

It's not from overtraining, so must be a bug or virus.

If it does not go away, cut out all dairy products from your diet.
John979

Ivan

by Ivan

Does your stomach feels like you've just eaten a whole bread but you just ate 2 or 3 slices ?
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

diputs

by diputs

Acidopholous has been working with my stomach problems. If you do not want to take acidopholous tablets, you can find it in yogurt. You just need to eat a lot of it.

The other thing that helps me is massaging my intestines. Lie on your bed and push down on your abdomin area. Work in circles. This will usually cause a bowel movement you will remember.

Something that I used to use was Ume concentrate. "Ume Concentrate strengthens and alkalinizes the blood. It is good for diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach, lack of appetite, headache, and minor food poisoning."
From http://www.macroisrael.com/home_remedie ... edies.html

If it does not stop in a few days, I would reccommend going to a doctor to find out what is causing the problem. But I am also the kind of person that stays away from prescription drugs.

madhatter

by madhatter

See your GP if problems persist. If it`s a G.I, virus it should be self limiting unless you recently drank tapwater in Bangladesh or so...For now be easy on the stomach...avoid coffee, alcohol, greasy food, spices and so on. Make sure you take in enough fluids...

Dan the Man

by Dan the Man

Find a health shop and ask for 'Inter Flora'. Natural pills that are supposed to restore the amounts of 'good' bacteria in your stomach. Seems to work for me.

big fellow

by big fellow

perhaps consider something like dan suggested, yakult or similar stuff

if you're plugged up, some dates can help, fibre like metamucil powder also works.

good luck!

Tippster

by Tippster

madhatter wrote:See your GP if problems persist. If it`s a G.I, virus it should be self limiting unless you recently drank tapwater in Bangladesh or so...For now be easy on the stomach...avoid coffee, alcohol, greasy food, spices and so on. Make sure you take in enough fluids...

but they are all my favourate foods... :wink:

big fellow

by big fellow

lol tippster, isn't that 90% of the british diet? :wink:

Tippster

by Tippster

big fellow wrote:lol tippster, isn't that 90% of the british diet? :wink:

I don't race, but I am training for my first sub 5 hours century. My diet is / was very poor. I'm gradually improving it.

Started with Stella and Pizza, I'm now improving to Chicken and Wine.

At one point I was doing 15 miles x 2 per day Mon - Fri and able to eat breakfast, lunch and two or one large evening meal and still gradually loose weight (even on Pizza and Stella).

madhatter

by madhatter

Tippster wrote:
but they are all my favourate foods... :wink:

yeah I know...I don`t even function without a proper espresso in the morning...But they are harsh on the stomach...particularly if one suffers from heartburn (like I do) or obscure G.I. complaints. But again, judging by the nature and onset of the problems things should straighten out in a week or so and converting to a macrobiotic might not be necessary in the end :wink:

Tippster

by Tippster

Had a 35 mile ride into work this morning. Took it easy. Kept my HR below 160 (Max is 200).

No bad effects so far.

big fellow

by big fellow

good to hear - were those 35 miles on normal diet or the new, improved diet?

Tippster

by Tippster

big fellow wrote:good to hear - were those 35 miles on normal diet or the new, improved diet?

As I said earlier, the diet is gradually improving.

Need to get more serious as my training milage increases...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Any one with persistent stomach issues should research the specific carbohydarate diet (SCD). It is a known cure for Colitis and other inflamatory bowel diseases although there are very ffew physicians who are familiar with it and for sure you won't here drup companies mention it. Basically it involves the removal of all grains and disacharides from the diet.

The premise is that the diet prevents undigest disacharides from reaching the lower gut were they feed harmful bacteria whoswe waste products damage the body in many ways.

An interesting side effect of this diet is that it eliminates a "spacey" feeling that some people have.

I tried the diet for a while to assist with weight loss and I was blown away by how good I felt. I also seemed to help with some serious joint pain I was having. What is interesting to note is that arthritis and inflamatory bowel diseases are often present in the same patient and as such it did not surprise me that a diet designed to deal with the latter helped cure the former.

The challenge of course for a serious cyclist is how do you get enough calories? The simple answer is nuts and honey although it is indeed a tough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com