Numbness

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

Im having problems with numbness in my penis when i ride, i dont know if its because of my saddle or my position, does anyone know anything about this and could anyone recommend a very comfortable saddle that doesnt cause numbness.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joe
i dont need some witty signature

big fellow

by big fellow

Joe,

Numbness is usually associated with a blockage of the blood vessels or irritation of a nerve.

It's pretty common with bike saddles but not wise to let it continue as it can lead to some structural damage. You'll know for sure because if you get out of the saddle if feels better, or you get a sudden rush of blood to the area once you take the pressure off.

I suspect any saddle could cause numbness if it's not set up correctly, I'd say check your set up again.

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

curlymcbird wrote:Im having problems with numbness in my penis when i ride, i dont know if its because of my saddle or my position, does anyone know anything about this and could anyone recommend a very comfortable saddle that doesnt cause numbness.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joe

What saddle are you currently using?

Does it have a cut-out?

Have you tried a saddle with a cut-out?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

im currently using the selle-italia saddle that came with my bike, i dont know what model, I have never used a saddle with a cut-out and have played around with my set-up heaps, and had my coach change it around to no avail.
I have heard good things and bad things about cut-outs,
good: They take pressure of the perinium area
Bad: the cut out increases the pressure on the area surrounding the cut out.
Some websites i have seen recommend them, others strongly recommend not using them.
Does anyone here experience numbness in the area is question? If not what saddle do you use and what is your set up like? I mainly experience it when i am down in my seat for extended periods of time (in a flat race, or a flat training ride).
I really need to fix this Asap.
Thanx
Joe

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I had the same problem when I used the stock saddle from a Giant, I've replaced it with a WTB rocket.

Try a few saddles to see what fits ur region.

JK

by JK

What kind of bike do you have? MTB or road?

AED

by AED

I had this problem when started training on the road for about two weeks.
Now I can feel numbness only when riding on road all time sitting for a long time.

Tippster

by Tippster

AED wrote:I had this problem when started training on the road for about two weeks.
Now I can feel numbness only when riding on road all time sitting for a long time.

Having read your post, it reminds me of the last time I had 3 weeks off the bike. I felt a numbness. A non-cyclist will have more soft tissue in the saddle contact areas. The more you cycle the more the body adapts to being seated on a bike for prolonged periods.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

John979

by John979

Bruiser wrote:I had the same problem when I used the stock saddle from a Giant, I've replaced it with a WTB rocket.

Try a few saddles to see what fits ur region.

Bruiser is right-on. WTB has always been on the leading edge of saddle design. I have a closet full of saddles, but have never found a better one than WTB; now l my bikes are equiped with a WTB saddle. My only complaint with WTB is their very confusing product line. Like Brusier, mine are all some version of a Rocket V, but the new Shadow V looks very nice and is a bit lighter.
John979

mises

by mises

Since I switched to an AX Lightness Endurance a few years ago I haven't had any problem even on 8 hour rides. BUT if it gets even half a mm off level everything changes.

If you use a level to determine if the saddle is level make sure you turn the bike 180 degrees and check again. Most floors are not that level and unless you test both ways you can wind up quite a way off what you intend.

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

I ride mainly road, thats when it happens, i dont recall it happening during a mtb race, it mainly happens when i race, as my club has a very flat race course im not required to stand up ever really. This is when the numbness happens.
joe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpap89

by mpap89

i know that specialized hired a german doctor of sorts that did a huge study on this problem. he found that normal seats cut off a tremendous amount of blood flow. he designed a seat for spezialized. these seats come in three different sizes and they measure you sit bones(pelvis) to get the right seat. i can't find the article, but my friend got the specialized alias 143(mm) and he loves the saddle. its gotten really good reviews.
hope this helps. i have hte same problem.
-mpap