How do I improve my climbing?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JesseD

by JesseD

That's the hard part, I have managed to cut out chocolate and really cut down on fizzy drinks, I do not drink alcohol in the week at all now, and only have a couple of beers/glasses of wine on the weekend (it is the offseason). My main vice I think is bread, I eat it quite a lot, this is mainly down to poor planning on my behalf, usually having a sandwich for lunch most days and toast breakfast occasionally (mostly have porridge) and I always feel bloated after.

This altering your diet stuff is hard, especially if you love food like me! :roll:

On a positive note, my shoulder/back and arm is feeling a little better, I still don't have full movement but I am hoping that I can start doing some running and core work in the next couple of weeks, I can't wait to start being able to do a little exercise agin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dustbin

by dustbin

stella-azzurra wrote:Switch to a 70/20/10 ratio protein/carbs/fats.

That's healthy :roll:

I'm curious as to where you're going to get 70% of your cals from protein, but keep your fat intake at 10%.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

dustbin wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Switch to a 70/20/10 ratio protein/carbs/fats.

That's healthy :roll:

I'm curious as to where you're going to get 70% of your cals from protein, but keep your fat intake at 10%.

There is a ton of high protein, low fat foods that are healthy. Generally if you do not do a lot of exercise you lower your carb intake and increase the protein. The number 70/20/10 could also be 60/30/10 or 65/25/10 either way keeping the protein ration higher than the other 2 ratios carbs and fat is the key. There are also different types of fats that are good for you from fish, nuts, olives etc. This is a small list.

BEANS
FOOD AMOUNT CALORIES PROTEIN CARBS FAT

Black beans 1/2 cup cooked 113 7.6 20.4 .5
Garbanzo (chickpeas) 1/2 cup cooked 134 7.3 22.5 2.1
Kidney beans 1/2 cup cooked 112 7.6 20.1 .4
Lentil beans 1/2 cup cooked 115 8.9 19.9 .4
Lima beans 1/2 cup cooked 108 7.3 19.6 .4
Navy beans 1/2 cup cooked 129 7.9 24.0 .5
Soybeans (edamame) 1/2 cup cooked 127 11.1 10.0 5.8
Tofu 1/2 cup fresh 94 10.0 2.3 5.9

Dairy
Cottage cheese 1/2 cup 110 14.0 3.1 5.0
Cottage cheese, lowfat 1/2 cup 90 16.0 3.0 1.0
Egg 1 large 75 6.3 0 5.0
Milk, lowfat 1 cup 121 8.1 11.7 4.7
Milk, skim 1 cup 86 8.4 11.8 .4
Yogurt, lowfat 1 cup 144 11.9 16 3.5
Yogurt, nonfat 1 cup 127 13.0 17.4 .4

FISH

Anchovies, in water 1 ounce 37 5.8 0 1.4
Halibut 3 ounces 93 17.7 0 2.0
Mackerel 3 ounces 180 15.8 0 11.8
Salmon 3 ounces 121 16.9 0 5.4
Sardines, in water 1 can 130 22.0 0 5.0
Tuna, tongol 1/4 cup 70 16.0 0 0

POULTRY

Chicken breast 4 ounces 193 29.3 0 7.6
Chicken, light meat, no skin 4 ounces 196 35.1 0 5.1
Chicken, dark meat, no skin 4 ounces 232 31.0 0 5.1
Turkey, light meat, no skin 4 ounces 178 33.9 0 3.7
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Great to hear Jesse! You'll be back at it in no time!!!

devinci

by devinci

For me, and in general, when you exercise less, you just eat less. A reduced calorie intake is IMO far better then changing the macro-nutrients ratio. Your body is a smart thing, all the unused nutrients such as carbs, proteins and obviously fat will be stocked somewhere so he can use it in the futur. Excess carbs will simply be stocked as fat, so will be proteins. Carbs are still important to provide your body its basic form of energy. You may want to look at whole wheat bread/pasta and brown rice if you havent already, these are a good/easy change you can make in your diet.

The suggested higher protein ratio is probably meant to induce a faster satiety so you eat less in the end. But remember what your body will do with excess macro-nutrients.

BTW, cutting out those sugary thing is hard!! but good for you. Just make sure its not too hard mentally, allow yourself some "threats" sometimes, such as a small chocolate piece with a good, warm cup of coffee!

Generally, I'd say just reduce your calorie intake.

keep on the good work

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

70% protein is NOT a healthy balance. Try a lot more fruit and vegetables instead if you are worried about weight gain. More nutrients, vitamins, fibre etc.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

devinci

by devinci

Tapeworm wrote:70% protein is NOT a healthy balance.

oh oh, I feel the rumble's coming.

:wink:

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

Over the long term a high protein diet is a horrible idea. There is a reason why the ADA (American Dietetic Association) recommends to have more carbs than anything in your diet. Too much protein and not enough carbohydrates makes your body essentially burn a lot of body fat to give itself energy. Now to you this might sounds good... but there is a severe problem with this. The burning of fat in large quantities in a short period of time causes your body to go into Ketosis which after a long period of time can put a severe strain on your vital organs.

Even though your activity levels have decreased severely it doesnt mean you need to cut carbs completely it means you need to decrease your total caloric intake. You should still keep the approximate amount of 60% carbs (note I'm talking about whole grains, legumes and such not things like white bread) 25% fat (good fats monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in whole grains and nuts, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids found in fish and nuts not saturated and trans fats) and about 15% protein (approximately .8 grams per kilo or .36 grams per pound).

Protein of course can be increased after intense workouts but it should never be a major source of caloric intake. Go to a Registered Dietician and have them work out a plan for you... now you don't need to follow it exactly but it will teach you how to eat properly, what to eat, and how to lose weight healthily.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

When your are sourcing more than 30% of the caloric intake from protein it causes (as mentioned above) the build-up of toxic ketones. At "normal" levels these are fine but when they go beyond the normal levels it can force the kidneys to work overtime in order to flush them from the system. The downside to this is 1) you can loose significant amount of water (dehydration) as the body works to remove these, 2) it is believed that through the above process can also lead to calcium from bone deposits to be leeched from the system ie: weaker bones, 3) strain on the vital organs (namely the kidneys, but also the heart etc due to the dehydration. Oh and a buildup of ketones can also give you bad breath.

There is a marked difference to having a diet high in protein, and a high protein diet.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I swear some of you work for the tabloids.

as mentioned above: The number 70/20/10 could also be 60/30/10 or 65/25/10 either way keeping the protein ratio higher than the other 2 ratios carbs and fat is the key.

The foods listed: chicken, fish, dairy, beans are healthy foods that provide a good nutritional balance for someone that is not exercising as they normally would and provide a higher ratio of protein to carb and fats. The higher protein ratio will allow the individual to maintain muscle mass over this period of reduced exercise.

Needless to say all the foods mentioned above (and those are just a small part of the list) combined with normal sized serving that amount to a calorie intake of 1500 - 2000 max per day.

You do this type of diet until you are able to regain your ability to exercise at levels where carb intake is increased for the increased activity.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

dustbin

by dustbin

60+ % of calories from protein is preposterous. You'll go into ketosis because your body needs carbs as it's basic, NECESSARY requirements to fuel the cells in your body. You don't get enough carbs and you'll just turn that protein into the carb fuel that your body needs... why waste all that energy?

Also, that excess protein will not maintain your muscle mass. Protein will not create or maintain muscle. Only weight bearing exercise will. Infants only eat (from mother's milk) 6-8% of calories from protein. I'm pretty sure they need WAY more protein than any athlete on this planet.

Also, I read an article or an interview by an olympic dietician and they say no matter what your sport, exercise/activity level, etc. you shouldn't change your caloronutrient ratio. The only thing that changes is calories. They also spent a while doggin' on American's for eating too much protein (the average American eats somewhere in the range of 18-20% of calories from protein).

Eat even 30+ % calories from protein for two months and tell me how you feel after.

I pity the fool who eat low-carb.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

stella-azzurra wrote:...I swear some of you work for the tabloids...

And I swear that some people post "information" which is not backed up with any legitimate basis whatsoever. Even that which could be seriously damaging to someones health.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Fortunately 100% of this information can be found on-line rather than dispensed by armchair cyclists on this forum.

I don't know Tapeworm where do you get your legitimate basis from.

And yes I totally agree that not eating foods like: chicken, fish, dairy, legumes are totally damaging to someone's healthy nature.

dustbin

by dustbin

stella-azzurra wrote:I don't know Tapeworm where do you get your legitimate basis from.

And yes I totally agree that not eating foods like: chicken, fish, dairy, legumes are totally damaging to someone's healthy nature.

I don't know about tapeworm but this is what I study and part of what I plan to go to grad school for and do for a living. Also, my fiancé is a dietician and would NEVER tell someone to eat even 20% of cals from protein (or fat).

None of us are telling you that you can't eat a healthy diet that consists of chicken, fish, dairy, and legumes. We're saying that eating that much protein will land you an early death and compromised health. I will tell you that chicken, fish, legumes, and especially dairy are not optimally healthy food choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

dustbin wrote:
I don't know about tapeworm but this is what I study and part of what I plan to go to grad school for and do for a living. Also, my fiancé is a dietician and would NEVER tell someone to eat even 20% of cals from protein (or fat).

None of us are telling you that you can't eat a healthy diet that consists of chicken, fish, dairy, and legumes. We're saying that eating that much protein will land you an early death and compromised health. I will tell you that chicken, fish, legumes, and especially dairy are not optimally healthy food choices.

So you are saying that a better balance would be 80/10/10 carbs/protein/fat? for people that are over weight?
And that chicken, fish, legumes, and especially dairy are not optimally healthy food choices?

So please educate me on who should be sticking to this diet plan and as Tapeworm says where is this "legitimate information" coming from? where is the source? what studies have been performed? (by the way 70% of studies are wrong)