How do I improve my climbing?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eric

by eric

Tapeworm wrote:AWC is probably not a significant factor in something that lasts longer than 1min.

It's longer than that:

Anaerobic glycolysis can
sustain a high rate of
ATP synthesis for several minutes. An example of
an activity that relies primarily on this energy
system is a 1500-meter or 1-mile run that lasts 3-4
minutes. The limitation of anaerobic glycolysis is
not so much the depletion or decr
ease in glucose sources, but rather
the increase in lactate.

(http://cmierphotoandfitness.net/files/A ... _power.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Tapeworm wrote:As mentioned above, it's probably that the w/kg ratio is too heavy on the w side (pun intended).

He's using anaerobic power in addition to aerobic because his (aerobic) w/kg is too low to go the required speed.

devinci

by devinci

FOr 3 to 4 minutes efforts most of the energy is supplied by the aerobic metabolism. At any given level of exercise, you will be using all 3 energy pathways with relative contribution according to intensity and duration.

The OP's limitation is his aerobic system, or critical power, which may be too low and forces him to dig into his anaerobic work capacity too much for too long or too often. Raise that CP and things should get better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@ eric. From the document you linked - at a maximal effort anaerobic contributions are 50% at approximately the 75 second point. For a less than maximal effort (ie: riding before reaching said climb) the contributions would most likely be less as the relative fatigue would be greater.

And as devinci points out - it's a continuum.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG