Oxygenated water?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

agent86

by agent86

Apparently Avani oxygenated water increases blood oxygen level. Anyone have any knowledge of this product or something similar?
Will it actually increase blood oxygen level? in turn improving stamina.

mattr

by mattr

erm, only if you can breath through the lining of your stomach.......... sounds like utter bollocks to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Water consists of 2 hydrogen molecule and 1 oxygen molecules so bog standard tap water will consist of a fair bit of oxygen already.

Try taking deeper breaths. I wouldn't recommend trying to breathe water. There is an interesting story involving 2 top pros, oxygenated water and CPR but I guess that is for another time!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Snake oil - oh so many names you have.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

ldamelio

by ldamelio

As others have said, absolute nonsense. There is no physiologic basis for this. Some of the other products out there have reasonable bases or even evidence for their claims, but this is (pardon the politically incorrect) absolutely retarded. The stomach is not part of he cardiovascular system and no gas exchange with blood takes place there.

theremery

by theremery

I agree...unlikely to get ANY O2 into the blood via the digestive tract....but I wouldn't be considering the stomach anyway....most absorbtion occurs a little further down that path (tho alcohol and glucose can get through nearer the top end of the gut.....so perhaps O2 doesn't (sic) get through at the top too) ;)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

If you want a good laugh call their 800 number and ask for how exactly it works? or do they have graphs or charts of the oxygen gain, etc. It is fun as hell. Keep asking specific questions and marvel at the non-specific answers. You might even learn some new BS techniques.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Water consists of 2 hydrogen molecule and 1 oxygen molecules so bog standard tap water will consist of a fair bit of oxygen already

You obviously skipped all your chemistry classes, but I'm here to mock the product, not uninformed posters.

The proposition, afaik, is that there is oxygen dissolved in the water. So far, so commonplace - there is enough oxygen dissolved in normal sea or river water to keep all the fish alive and active. Where it gets less credible is in the idea that there will be worthwhile gas exchange in the gut. Well, molecules do cross from the gut into the blood, but blood already has a really remarkable amount of oxygen bound to the haemoglobin, so the only place for any more is dissolved in the plasma. Unsurprisingly, given that the plasma has already been through the lungs, it is already pretty much saturated with oxygen. The only way to get more of a gas to dissolve in a liquid is either to increase the gas pressure over the liquid, so presumably the product comes in pressurised containers, like common carbonated drinks do, or to lower the temperature, again as with carbonated drinks.

Most of the dissolved gas comes out of solution as bubbles when you release the pressure, but the process slows considerably as the solution approaches equilibrium. It is therefore possible to drink a solution of a gas in water which has a higher concentration of gas than the ambient pressure equilibrium concentration. I just did it, by consuming a chilled carbonated drink. The drink warmed up in my stomach, causing most of the remaining surplus gas to come out of solution and bubble up as burps. The rest mixed with other fluids in the stomach, which we assume was already saturated with the gas in question, reducing he excess still further.

After all this, we have a tiny excess concentration of gas which may or may not be a higher concentration than is already in the blood plasma - plasma being impure water, the solubility of gases could be higher or lower than in plain water. If the gas concentration in the mixed stomach fluids is higher than in the blood plasma, it will slowly cross the membranes by osmosis until equilibrium is achieved.

The solubility of oxygen in water at body temperature and 1 bar is about 8mg/l, so about 4mg per bottle. The upper bound for a chilled, pressurised drink is about 13mg per bottle.

With a tidal volume of 500ml (that's you breathing normally, not exercising), you're drawing about 140mg of air into your lungs per breath, so just sitting here doing nothing you're putting about 100 times as much oxygen into close contact with your blood every minute as you can put into rather distant contact with you blood by shotgunning half a litre of oxygenated water straight from the fridge. In fact, you can't breath and drink at the same time, so you actually miss out on more lung oxygen during the time you're drinking than can possible be dissolved in the drink.

agent86

by agent86

I appreciate the scientific explanation, I am always sceptical about these things yet still tempted by them...

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

mitre_tester wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Water consists of 2 hydrogen molecule and 1 oxygen molecules so bog standard tap water will consist of a fair bit of oxygen already

You obviously skipped all your chemistry classes, but I'm here to mock the product, not uninformed posters.

The proposition, afaik, is that there is oxygen dissolved in the water. So far, so commonplace - there is enough oxygen dissolved in normal sea or river water to keep all the fish alive and active. Where it gets less credible is in the idea that there will be worthwhile gas exchange in the gut. Well, molecules do cross from the gut into the blood, but blood already has a really remarkable amount of oxygen bound to the haemoglobin, so the only place for any more is dissolved in the plasma. Unsurprisingly, given that the plasma has already been through the lungs, it is already pretty much saturated with oxygen. The only way to get more of a gas to dissolve in a liquid is either to increase the gas pressure over the liquid, so presumably the product comes in pressurised containers, like common carbonated drinks do, or to lower the temperature, again as with carbonated drinks.

Most of the dissolved gas comes out of solution as bubbles when you release the pressure, but the process slows considerably as the solution approaches equilibrium. It is therefore possible to drink a solution of a gas in water which has a higher concentration of gas than the ambient pressure equilibrium concentration. I just did it, by consuming a chilled carbonated drink. The drink warmed up in my stomach, causing most of the remaining surplus gas to come out of solution and bubble up as burps. The rest mixed with other fluids in the stomach, which we assume was already saturated with the gas in question, reducing he excess still further.

After all this, we have a tiny excess concentration of gas which may or may not be a higher concentration than is already in the blood plasma - plasma being impure water, the solubility of gases could be higher or lower than in plain water. If the gas concentration in the mixed stomach fluids is higher than in the blood plasma, it will slowly cross the membranes by osmosis until equilibrium is achieved.

The solubility of oxygen in water at body temperature and 1 bar is about 8mg/l, so about 4mg per bottle. The upper bound for a chilled, pressurised drink is about 13mg per bottle.

With a tidal volume of 500ml (that's you breathing normally, not exercising), you're drawing about 140mg of air into your lungs per breath, so just sitting here doing nothing you're putting about 100 times as much oxygen into close contact with your blood every minute as you can put into rather distant contact with you blood by shotgunning half a litre of oxygenated water straight from the fridge. In fact, you can't breath and drink at the same time, so you actually miss out on more lung oxygen during the time you're drinking than can possible be dissolved in the drink.

So, what does H2O consist of?

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
mitre_tester wrote:

So, what does H2O consist of?

2 Hydrogen ATOMS and 1 oxygen ATOM

Hydrogen molecule = H2, and Oxygen molecule = O2

Water is a molecule the constituents are only atoms.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Thanks for the explanation :D

sorin

by sorin

what about the Penta water brand ?seems it is superoxygenated :!: and 2 much BS tech that they saY about it ... i did tried but its many variables that influenced me in saying is good or no.i just add lemon juice to TAP water when i am at home and that adds plenty of benefits.plus its almost free except the juice.

roca rule

by roca rule

here in the u.s. the quickstar (same company that owns the orlando magic arena) has a similar product. A swimming coach at our school was distribuiting it to some of its athletes and selling it to. i gave it a try. he had a little test told me to reach for the tip of my toes and i was barely able to do it and after tasking a zip of it i wqas able to. the oxigen thing supposed to increase absorbtion and that was the reason i could touch my toes on the second try. the other test involve me standing straing with arms on the side holding the palm of my hands parallel to the ground, then he pushed on one side only to get me of balance. the second test failed becaouse he was not able to get me offbalance. i did some reading and it seems that the streching trick is only to show tha placebo effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

Redddraggon wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:So, what does H2O consist of?

2 Hydrogen ATOMS and 1 oxygen ATOM

Hydrogen Peroxide contains twice as much oxygen as water does, and is very keen to shed the excess. As it is also denser than water, half a litre could potentially liberate up to 340g of oxygen into your body, or as much as you breathe in 4 hours when at rest. I wouldn't suggest that you drink it, though.