power question

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

williamsf1

by williamsf1

2 riders sprinting at a similar pace, i.e. side by side....

rider 1 has 1000w and is about 72kg

rider 2 is 550w and about 53kg

someone tried to tell me today that gearing effects power???? I'm thinking BS...

I think gearing effects torque.... any info or facts to help me put him straight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

well if gearing affects torque, it affects power. Whats the exact question? Why the 2 riders exemple?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Gearing doesn't really affect power. maybe instantaneous power, but nothing actual. Power=torque x rpm. Increase gearing, cadence goes down, torque goes up. if your progress is the same, power is the same. no free lunch.
Two riders sprinting, the heavier rider will require more power to accelerate at the same rate as the lighter rider. Force=mass x acceleration, F=MA. A=F/M.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Gearing on its own absolutely does not affect power, unless of course we're talking about changing cadence in which case power may change. And then of course gearing becomes irrelevant because it's cadence affecting your power and not gearing.

Torque is not really terribly relevant... A larger sprocket at the back will produce more torque around the freehub, and longer cranks at the front will result in more torque at the front around the bottom bracket - neither will affect your power output and neither are particularly relevant?

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

williamsf1 wrote:2 riders sprinting at a similar pace, i.e. side by side....

rider 1 has 1000w and is about 72kg

rider 2 is 550w and about 53kg

They won't be sprinting side by side, as rider 1 will be faster. :smartass:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yeah it was brought up after a training ride, as they both held about the same pace in the sprint.... the only thing I could come up with was aero drag for the larger rider and the weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Aero drag, and it could have been slightly uphill. and the bigger dude may have been gaining a bit without it being too noticeable.