training for time trial race.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rohaimie

by rohaimie

Anyone wish to share any tips for preparation for time trial event? :o
italian bikes rules!

big fellow

by big fellow

mate - there are whole books on this!!!!!!!!!!!

be here forever.... :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arjan

by Arjan

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Time Trials require a high Max sustainable power output, a high lactic acid threshold and Muscle enduance more than anything else. Aerobic and anaerobic endurance are also factors although they play a part in all road racing.

I'd suggest you look at your ability and determine your strengths and weakness. To do well in a TT you need all three factors, while in a road race you can use tactics to make the optimal use of your strength.

I'm happy to be here forever to hear more training ideas (no book or coach has all the answers and definetly not for every athlete).

Tippster

by Tippster

Bruiser wrote:Time Trials require a high Max sustainable power output, a high lactic acid threshold and Muscle enduance more than anything else. Aerobic and anaerobic endurance are also factors although they play a part in all road racing.

I'd suggest you look at your ability and determine your strengths and weakness. To do well in a TT you need all three factors, while in a road race you can use tactics to make the optimal use of your strength.

I'm happy to be here forever to hear more training ideas (no book or coach has all the answers and definetly not for every athlete).

Bruiser as usual has covered the main points very well.

I would add to the above, that TT also require good technique. On rest days, why not concentrate to pedalling technique and body positioning while riding at low intensity... ?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

John979

by John979

Tipster is correct -- a high functional threshold power will only get you so far in a TT if your position is aerodynamically poor.
John979

Bruiser

by Bruiser

For those who would like more information about my previous jargon regarding the requirements of time trialing and principles of general training.

Max sustainable power output is a power measurement of your sustainable time trial pace and is the power equivilant to a Sustainable Lactate Threshold Heart Rate if muscle fatigue from lactic is your limiting factor.

Muscle endurance is just that, but varies according to power output and speed. While some riders can maintain a high power output (such as a climber), they may strugle with high speed work.

Aerobic endurance most people train for with their heart rate zone training. Some suggest that doing lots of training at a low heart rate (called base training) will improve your aerobic endurance as your body is more efficient in buring fat stores, however there is no evidence to show that such specific trainig has any benefits. "Base" training can be useful at the start of a season to get lots of miles done without lots of recovery time between rides.

Anaerobic enduance is being able to really hammer home in the last few km. Pursuit riders (<5km total race distance) do alot of work on their anaerobic endurance and being able to power off the front of a bunch is always a good skill.

Oswald

by Oswald

John979 wrote:Tipster is correct -- a high functional threshold power will only get you so far in a TT if your position is aerodynamically poor.

I would also look at the mental aspect. I read a good article on this somewhere (will see if I can find it again) You constantly have to ask yourself: Am I going fast enough?

PNuT

by PNuT

timetrialling is all in ya head...... along with the obvious areodynamics....

Tippster

by Tippster

PNuT wrote:timetrialling is all in ya head...... along with the obvious areodynamics....

Last time I looked at guys in a TT, they were also using their legs quite a lot...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

jalapeno

by jalapeno

some good articles on TT preparation (and other training, nutrition etc tips) here: http://www.jbst.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

TT is all for POWER! Power=cadence*muscle strenght. Raise cadense and speed will rice....raise streng for pedaling and speed will rice...do both and you will be amaized.....

It so easy. :D

AED

by AED

One more question about TT :D
In what wind conditions it's better to use disc instead of simple wheel with spokes? Because I don't think that's is always better to use only disc during TT...

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I don't see anyreasons NOT to use disk. Wind has no affect on rear...

Only reason would be weight....on Alpe de la Huez....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Wind doesn't always hit from directly in front or from behind.
Have you considered the drag in a 45' wind?

Not only will it affect handling but it will increase drag.