Lactate Threshold - how to determine LT outside a Lab

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Freddie

by Freddie

Hi, new to HRM training & looking for advice on the best method to determine LT.
Believe there's a variety of methods, looking for the most reliable one if thats possible. Whats the latest thinking on the subject?

homegrown

by homegrown

I've had my LT tested multiple times by taking blood and using a device to measure the lactate in my blood. Everytime the corresponding HR has been the same as if I was to simply go out and ride a half hour TT and take my avg. HR. I suggest Friel's Training Bible, its only like 20 bucks and will answer any questions you'll ever have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

homegrown wrote:I've had my LT tested multiple times by taking blood and using a device to measure the lactate in my blood. Everytime the corresponding HR has been the same as if I was to simply go out and ride a half hour TT and take my avg. HR. I suggest Friel's Training Bible, its only like 20 bucks and will answer any questions you'll ever have.

I'd second that. If you are at the level where you are interested in LT testing, go out and read about it.

Put simply. Warm up for 5 minutes, then start your HRM recording. Do a flat 30 minute TT at the highest rate you can sustain evenly. The average HR on this ride is your LT. Rememer to warm down for 5 minutes at the end...!!!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Freddie

by Freddie

thanks for the responses guys; Friel's MTB training bible on order at present.

the_taaboo

by the_taaboo

you could also check http://www.2peak.com
there ar some test scenarios described

I'am train with their method. But only since a bit more then one month.

Cheers
Taaboo
Think about the lightest part on your bike? Your brain! -Use it and do not buy any component, but the one which suits your riding style...