The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dolophonic

by dolophonic

I thought the 705 mount had problems there were stories of flying headunits!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mieke@quarq
in the industry

by mieke@quarq

markc wrote:
SW wrote: At first I didn't think it would show the torque value when performing a zero offset, but apparently it does.

Where did you see that, about the torque value, in the manual? All I noted was a very brief passage about paring to a meter. Nothing about zeroing, reading torque, etc. I have a 500 on order along with a Quarq and figured to read the manual ahead of time for a change. Yeah, crazy...

Thanks,

Mark

The Edge 500 will return the zero offset of the CinQo in 1/32 Nm. You can download the CinQo manual from our website under the support tab if you want to see the menu sequence for zeroing a powermeter with the Edge 500. They call it "calibrate" in the Garmin computers, but it's actually just zeroing the powermeters.

Mieke
Quarq Technology

exhibitx

by exhibitx

dolophonic wrote:I thought the 705 mount had problems there were stories of flying headunits!

only time i've heard about it coming off is during crashes, problem for pros but most people don't hop right back on their bikes after a crash hard enough to take it off

it feels secure otherwise, i definitely have confidence in the old mount, i think the main reason they changed it was to lower the stack to make it look thinner

SW

by SW

Markc, the only reason I knew was through Mieke and Jim @ Quarq. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these things!

mca56

by mca56

Does anyone know if the "lap" function (as discussed in the manual) is the functional equivalent of an interval timer? I want to be able to view current power and interval average power on the same screen for pacing purposes.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Last I heard/read, the 500 does not have any training feature.
Meaning: no intervals. Neither the ones you can set up yourself, not pre-programmed versions.

There was some discussion (*ahem*) from Interbike (*ahem*) where someone (*ahem*) talked to the rep and reported back (*ahem*) that there would be this function in the release or update, but I have not heard of anything as such.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stevei

by stevei

dolophonic wrote:I thought the 705 mount had problems there were stories of flying headunits!

Mine has fallen off my bike twice now when pushing the lap button slightly clumsily when absolutely exhausted at the end of a timed hill climb. This has caused me to put tape on the bottom to make it a tighter fit, which has made it very hard to put on and take off the bike but at least it hasn't fallen off since. However, I made it so hard to take off that the release clip has now snapped off the mount!

So the new mount gets a big thumbs up from me, it looks much more secure.

semaj

by semaj

prendrefeu wrote:Last I heard/read, the 500 does not have any training feature.
Meaning: no intervals. Neither the ones you can set up yourself, not pre-programmed versions.

There was some discussion (*ahem*) from Interbike (*ahem*) where someone (*ahem*) talked to the rep and reported back (*ahem*) that there would be this function in the release or update, but I have not heard of anything as such.

Can someone with the actual unit on hand please clarify this? If the Edge 500 lacks the ability to set basic intervals then I don't think it's worth it.

markc

by markc

[quote="mieke@quarq The Edge 500 will return the zero offset of the CinQo in 1/32 Nm. [/quote]

Mieke,

Many thanks (SW too). New website looks quite nice. I haven't checked but am hopeful that my shop has sent you my crank and TT rings for CinQo install. EDGE 500 is here and I'm looking forward to using the combo.

Since we can get the torque value out then one can check accuracy at home by hanging a known weight. Can one also calibrate the Cinqo at home to correct for drift (as one would do by sloping an SRM)? I'm assuming the EDGE 500 will take a manual slope value as the 705 does but can one get the frequency data out in order to do the calculation?

Reason I ask is I will have an SRM on my road bike and a Cinqo on the TT bike and I'd like them to both be accurate and if possible calibrated to the same standard. Which in my case is a 45 pound weight.

Cheers,

Mark

JoWul

by JoWul

The 705 mount is composed of two pieces, the one mounted on the stem and the one to which you attach the 705. This intermediate piece has small tabs through which you feed the zip ties and these tabs are so thin that eventually they brake. Now the zip ties no longer hold the intermediate piece down and therefore the 705 can fly off. I solved this by gluing the intermediate piece into the base. Now the 705 sits rock solid on the mount. Just make sure you do not apply glue where the zip ties go through the mount.

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

There are new 705 mounts now where it's one piece.

SW

by SW

[Markc wrote:]I'm assuming the EDGE 500 will take a manual slope value as the 705 does but can one get the frequency data out in order to do the calculation?
[/quote]

Are you sure the 705 allows you to manually enter a slope? I was under the impression you could only check it.

stevei

by stevei

JoWul wrote:The 705 mount is composed of two pieces, the one mounted on the stem and the one to which you attach the 705. This intermediate piece has small tabs through which you feed the zip ties and these tabs are so thin that eventually they brake. Now the zip ties no longer hold the intermediate piece down and therefore the 705 can fly off. I solved this by gluing the intermediate piece into the base. Now the 705 sits rock solid on the mount. Just make sure you do not apply glue where the zip ties go through the mount.

The problem I've had is much simpler, nothing broken. When riding over a bumpy road surface, the clip that is supposed to hold the 705 in place can bounce enough to release the 705. Once this has happened, and the clip is no longer locked into the recess on the bottom of the 705, it doesn't take much force, e.g. when you press the lap button a bit clumsily, and the 705 simply slides straight off the mount.

A rotating mount would be much better because it would be immediately obvious that the device is no longer properly seated and you could reseat it before it falls off the bike.

markc

by markc

SW wrote: Are you sure the 705 allows you to manually enter a slope? I was under the impression you could only check it.

I don't have a 705 or wireless SRM so I've not done this. My impression was there is a buried feature in firmware 2.6 that allows one to enter SRM slope. According to the SRM FAQ on thier homepage:

Q: Can I manually enter the slope of my PowerMeter into a Garmin Edge 705?

Yes! Garmin has released an update to their firmware, connect your Garmin to your computer and update it through their website. Then, you'll be able to enter the slope by doing the following:

Go to Settings > Ant+Sport > Accessories
Move the thumbstick left > right > left from any field on the page, to bring up a new page
The top number on the screen will be the ID number of the PowerMeter that is connected
The field below it allows you to manually enter the ID of the PowerMeter you want to work with, or to enter "0" to get the Garmin to search for any available PowerMeter
The second enterable field is called "Slope", and here's where you can manually enter the slope of your PowerMeter, if you wish to do so.

Not being able to adjust the slope on an SRM is an obvious downside because these things do drift and the factory calibrations (slope) are notoriously wrong.

Cheers,

Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattC

by MattC

As has been said, the 705 now has one-piece mount which doesn't disintegrate after a couple on months!

Had some 500's in at work today, seem a really good unit, basic compared to the 705, it would be ideal for racing. I don't think I'd justify having the two, especially with two different mounts! If it had the same mount as the 705, I'd be tempted to have one as a race-only computer.