The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grover

by grover

^^^^^^^link not working for me.

anyway, I got Device Manager 3.0 from the trainingpeaks website. It downloads data from the Edge 500. Now I just need to figure out how to get data from Device Manager to WKO+.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GrahamB

by GrahamB

stevei wrote:When riding over a bumpy road surface, the clip that is supposed to hold the 705 in place can bounce enough to release the 705.

I think you are doing something wrong. I swap my 705 between my road and MTB. It has taken some fairly rugged descents on the mtb, plus a few occasions
when I've smacked bits of my body against it (ouch) while failing to make it up climbs. Never has
that clip released. In fact it takes a reasonably solid push to release it and given the mass of the lever, the chance of that happening through inertia seems
like zero to me, unless you ride off the top of a building.
Graham

Bikey

by Bikey

The link works for me. In any case, DA 3.0 saves your data here: My Documents\TrainingPeaks\Device Agent\saved\<whatever name username
you have, default is unkown>

You can associate the *.pwx file with WKO+ so all you need to do is make a desktop shortcut to that folder and then click on the new download (which will launch a session of WKO+ with that workout as the activity).

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

GrahamB wrote:I think you are doing something wrong. I swap my 705 between my road and MTB. It has taken some fairly rugged descents on the mtb, plus a few occasions
when I've smacked bits of my body against it (ouch) while failing to make it up climbs. Never has
that clip released. In fact it takes a reasonably solid push to release it and given the mass of the lever, the chance of that happening through inertia seems

I was thinking the same thing. I guess some people are harder on stuff than others. I have over 1000miles on my mtb this year with the garmin and it has never come off, loose, crooked. I have never broken a mount or anything. I actually just a month ago broke the release tab on my road bike when I got home from a very cold and rainy ride. The mounts on my other 2 bikes are still working perfectly.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

stevei

by stevei

GrahamB wrote:
stevei wrote:When riding over a bumpy road surface, the clip that is supposed to hold the 705 in place can bounce enough to release the 705.

I think you are doing something wrong. I swap my 705 between my road and MTB. It has taken some fairly rugged descents on the mtb, plus a few occasions

Mine requires almost zero force to move the lever to release the 705, I would estimate just a few grams of force, the lever bends extremely easily. I wonder if there are different versions of the mount around. Mine is a one piece design that came in the box with the device. I'm not sure what exactly I could be doing wrong with it, I mean it just slides on and the retaining mechanism clips into place. I honestly don't know how exactly it has come off, just that twice it has come off when I've pushed the lap button at the top of a hill climb. My guess is that it had already come loose at that point, and pushing the lap button just gave it the final push to come off the mount. After the second time I applied tape to the underside to make it a really tight fit on the mount, so that it now requires several kg of force to remove it, and it hasn't come off since.

I might add that it has only ever come off my road bike, not my MTB, though I haven't used it a huge amount on an MTB. I think in many ways it gets a worse type of vibration on the road bike than the MTB. The road surface on one of the hills where it happened is truly dreadful, and someone else once told me that their 705 had on several occasions switched itself off at the top of the hill, which I suspect is also related to the pounding it gets from the road surface there.

racerjrp

by racerjrp

Well most of you seem to like it. I have one on order for my cross bike. Can't wait to play with it.

Zippmania

by Zippmania

After a weeks worth of power tap training with the 500 it looks like the readings are more optimistic than my LYC that came with the cyclops.
Anyone else having this problem and if so are there any fixes? I have already updated the formware on the garmin to the latest version.
Zippmania

Bikey

by Bikey

Have you zero'd it w/the 500? What makes you think the readings are optimistic?

Zippmania

by Zippmania

I have zeroed the unit by warming the hub up to operational temperature and then stopping. I then do a re-calibration and it says successful after that.
The readings are a little higher than the LYC but the temperature in my garage was minus 8 degrees C when I was training so maybe that would have something to do with it?
Z

Bikey

by Bikey

Are you using WKO+? If so, post screen shots of the workout summaries.

Zippmania

by Zippmania

Using Garmin connect on line but I am thinking of going on to WKO+, is this advisable as the information on the Connect sw is not as concise as the Power agent information.
Z

Bikey

by Bikey

WKO+ is worth it if you are serious. You can do a 14 day trial as well.

greenmachine
Shop Owner

by greenmachine

Zippmania

by Zippmania

I am going the WKO+ route as my race season starts in March !!!!
Thanks for the pointers Dave.
Z

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I am looking at the Garmin Edge 500 over the 705 and Joule 2.0.. 705 - I dont need moving map GPS functionality and its big. Joule 2.0 looks and sounds great, keeps getting delayed on release date ( I heard shipping March 1 now), its big as well, and as much as having all the data TSS, IF etc.. WKO+ does it all already... Joule 2 will be awesome for sure, but the Edge is half the cost and is capable of doing as much plus mapping... and I have read that the interval programming is a firmware upgrade which will be introduced in first Q of 2010, bringing it almost on par with the 705 minus the maps.

I like the 500 for the many options it seems to offer... 3 pages of 8 display options.. it would allow a main screen with all relevant current data, then you could set up a second Intervals page with speed, watts, avg watts etc for.. 3rd page could be for all the other irrelevant at the moment data...

In the meantime.. I have a question about the laps function on the Edge 500 until the intervals become available...
When you do an interval and store it as a lap, are you able to scroll back through the laps and review them, or do you only see the current one?
Also, once a lap (interval) is stopped... does the data remain displayed or does it disappear?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com