The Garmin Edge 500 Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SW

by SW

markc wrote:
SW wrote: Are you sure the 705 allows you to manually enter a slope? I was under the impression you could only check it.

I don't have a 705 or wireless SRM so I've not done this. My impression was there is a buried feature in firmware 2.6 that allows one to enter SRM slope. According to the SRM FAQ on thier homepage:

Q: Can I manually enter the slope of my PowerMeter into a Garmin Edge 705?

Yes! Garmin has released an update to their firmware, connect your Garmin to your computer and update it through their website. Then, you'll be able to enter the slope by doing the following:

Go to Settings > Ant+Sport > Accessories
Move the thumbstick left > right > left from any field on the page, to bring up a new page
The top number on the screen will be the ID number of the PowerMeter that is connected
The field below it allows you to manually enter the ID of the PowerMeter you want to work with, or to enter "0" to get the Garmin to search for any available PowerMeter
The second enterable field is called "Slope", and here's where you can manually enter the slope of your PowerMeter, if you wish to do so.

Not being able to adjust the slope on an SRM is an obvious downside because these things do drift and the factory calibrations (slope) are notoriously wrong.

Cheers,

Mark

That's awesome! I'm using a Quarq Cinqo, so hopefully the same can be done with it. I know Quarq will recalibrate it for their customers, but I don't want to be without it for however long it takes! Funny how power data is addictive like that!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

MattC wrote:As has been said, the 705 now has one-piece mount which doesn't disintegrate after a couple on months!

Had some 500's in at work today, seem a really good unit, basic compared to the 705, it would be ideal for racing. I don't think I'd justify having the two, especially with two different mounts! If it had the same mount as the 705, I'd be tempted to have one as a race-only computer.

Where can one find photos or something with regards to the new mount for the 705? I have had my 705 pop off my bike once and I'd love for it to never happen again. So if there is a new mount I'd love to know what it looks like, etc. I checked the Garmin website and everything there looks the same in the accessories section.

MattC

by MattC

It's the same, just one piece.... and a hell of a lot more solid!

Bikey

by Bikey

FWIW, the Edge 500 comes w/2 mounts.

I don't think you can set the slope on a Cinqo with any head unit...though apparently not an issue since their slope is stable (vs the drifting SRM).

markc

by markc

Bikey wrote:FWIW, the Edge 500 comes w/2 mounts.

I don't think you can set the slope on a Cinqo with any head unit...though apparently not an issue since their slope is stable (vs the drifting SRM).

I think you are correct but there has to be a way to get the calibration info. May need a talented 8 year old to hack it out with an i Phone or something :-)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the Cinqo / EDGE combo and wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't sold on the Quarq team and what they are doing. Guys locally on them last year were pleased, price-wise they are killing SRM for wireless, the new head units make for a very attractive package and as a plus, Jim and Mieke have always been very quick to answer Qs via email. Although to be fair, the SRM Boulder folks are also helpful.

My EDGE 500 bundle is in the shop so picking that up today. Crank in a couple weeks. Looks like several of our team members will be trying this combo so should know how it all works out in a few months. Unfortunately it's winter so limited outdoor time on the TT rig.

Mark

semaj

by semaj

semaj wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Last I heard/read, the 500 does not have any training feature.
Meaning: no intervals. Neither the ones you can set up yourself, not pre-programmed versions.

There was some discussion (*ahem*) from Interbike (*ahem*) where someone (*ahem*) talked to the rep and reported back (*ahem*) that there would be this function in the release or update, but I have not heard of anything as such.

Can someone with the actual unit on hand please clarify this? If the Edge 500 lacks the ability to set basic intervals then I don't think it's worth it.

?

Bikey

by Bikey

Right - no pre-set intervals on the 500. I don't see this as much of a loss, if any.

Also, the Edge 500 can display VAM, for anyone that wants to compare themselves to the ~1800 m/hr that the top Pro climbers achieve.

GZA

by GZA

Is it possible to configure the screen to see average power within an interval as well as current power?

Bikey

by Bikey

Certainly. You can configure it to simultaneously show current power as well as avg power for the interval, for the ride, and rolling 3sec and 30sec avgs (among other things).
The only thing it doesn't show is TSS or W/Kg. The Joule shows those, I don't find them to be useful: w/kg is useless on the road and my coach takes care of worrying about TSS.

djconnel

by djconnel

TSS on the road might be useful to some extent if that's a training target, but a simple integral to the fourth power of smoothed power / FTP would likely be more useful: it does a much better job of telling you the amount of "intensity" in a workout and won't continue to increase with easy spinning the way TSS would.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

What is the best price you guys are seeing?

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I got the bundle with cadence and HR for $262.50 (USD) @ http://www.trisports.com. They were offering 25% off any order a week ago.

grover

by grover

Slight sidetrack; has anyone figured out how to download ride data from the Edge 500 into trainingpeaks yet? Google points me to lots of press releases about it being compatible but no instructions on how to make it compatible.

James Bond

by James Bond

grover wrote:Slight sidetrack; has anyone figured out how to download ride data from the Edge 500 into trainingpeaks yet? Google points me to lots of press releases about it being compatible but no instructions on how to make it compatible.

+1 :?

Neat little unit thou'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bikey

by Bikey

grover wrote:Slight sidetrack; has anyone figured out how to download ride data from the Edge 500 into trainingpeaks yet? Google points me to lots of press releases about it being compatible but no instructions on how to make it compatible.

HERE