The W word... Lets share our ideas

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

spring time for sure, until this ugly snowstorm started yesterday.

I had some nice saddle hours for the last 3 weeks.

For the next few weeks, I'll keep working on threshols with shorter threshold intervals twice a week, including sometimes a vo2max workout instaed of 1 threshold workout. Also enjoy doing one tempo ride a week and one longer ride. I will also work on my sprint during shorter recovery ride, with 5 sprints on s small gear only to work on leg speed and technique, 10-15 sec sprints.

Races will start pretty soon, cant wait!

devinci

by devinci

So this week was my first TT race of the season, an occasion to see if my fitness was as good as I thougth. It was the third time I was starting this TT race. Its a U shaped course, 11.5 km long, pretty closed, not much wind, a pretty flat rolling course, sometimes ondulatin but nothing big.

I was chating with a guy before my start, he told me he was always aiming at 40 km/h + during a TT and he said he was sorta taking it easy on the descending parts. I kept that in mind during the race and tried to do it as he said.

Now it sucks bad. I cant believe that ultra fast time I posted. 1 min 40 sec better then last year, sure the course was less windy this year, plus I had a TT helmet, 10 speed VS 8 last year and a disc wheel this year, wich I didnt have last year.

I cant remember if I started my watch 15 sec before my start and I cant remember when I stoped it after the finish line.

Asking people about their time, I realised that some people had really fast time, so I went and ask for my official time. Surprise: 14 min 38 sec, 47km/h average speed. WTF, thats 1 min 40 sec better then last year.

Sure I was crusing a lot at 42-43-44 km/h and sometimes more (45 to 50 km/h). My speed only droped below 40km/h for a few hundred meters, maybe 1 km total.

I really thougth I had posted a 15 min 40 sec or so, according to my watch, this would have been about 44km/h average speed. But when I look at the results, 15 min 40 sec would have been really slow, far from guys who I normaly beat in a TT.

When I compare this time with other guys, I see I improved on last year, im closer to some guys, and I even beat some of them. For sure I kept my end of last season fitness, I even improved it a lot, according to this time.

I still cant believe it, it doesnt match my watch time, even though I dont remember when I stoped it and started it. Maybe I stoped it 1 min after the finish and it looked like 15 sec cause of the race adrenaline rush???

Do you guys think this is actually possible? I trained my threshold power a lot this winter, 2 x 20 and stuff, worked hard, but this is a huge improvement. The thing that bugs me is the watch time and the official time

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Good job. I'd only worry about what counts on the result sheets.

I did very well in a prologue TT earlier this season despite only having a roadbike. The 2x20s helped for that kind of stuff a good amount, but I still don't have the base and power to weight ratio I need on the explosive climbs for road races.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LouisN

by LouisN

devinci wrote:So this week was my first TT race of the season, an occasion to see if my fitness was as good as I thougth. It was the third time I was starting this TT race. Its a U shaped course, 11.5 km long, pretty closed, not much wind, a pretty flat rolling course, sometimes ondulatin but nothing big.

I was chating with a guy before my start, he told me he was always aiming at 40 km/h + during a TT and he said he was sorta taking it easy on the descending parts. I kept that in mind during the race and tried to do it as he said.

Now it sucks bad. I cant believe that ultra fast time I posted. 1 min 40 sec better then last year, sure the course was less windy this year, plus I had a TT helmet, 10 speed VS 8 last year and a disc wheel this year, wich I didnt have last year.

I cant remember if I started my watch 15 sec before my start and I cant remember when I stoped it after the finish line.

Asking people about their time, I realised that some people had really fast time, so I went and ask for my official time. Surprise: 14 min 38 sec, 47km/h average speed. WTF, thats 1 min 40 sec better then last year.

Sure I was crusing a lot at 42-43-44 km/h and sometimes more (45 to 50 km/h). My speed only droped below 40km/h for a few hundred meters, maybe 1 km total.

I really thougth I had posted a 15 min 40 sec or so, according to my watch, this would have been about 44km/h average speed. But when I look at the results, 15 min 40 sec would have been really slow, far from guys who I normaly beat in a TT.

When I compare this time with other guys, I see I improved on last year, im closer to some guys, and I even beat some of them. For sure I kept my end of last season fitness, I even improved it a lot, according to this time.

I still cant believe it, it doesnt match my watch time, even though I dont remember when I stoped it and started it. Maybe I stoped it 1 min after the finish and it looked like 15 sec cause of the race adrenaline rush???

Do you guys think this is actually possible? I trained my threshold power a lot this winter, 2 x 20 and stuff, worked hard, but this is a huge improvement. The thing that bugs me is the watch time and the official time

Soooo....?

What's the verdict ? Ranking (though that's not a real factor) ?

What's your real time then? What average speed? If you're too good , you'll have to upgrade to Cat.2 :lol: .

Anyways, congratulations on good "W" word preparation. :beerchug:
It should be time you start a new thread like: ITT aficionados thread 2010 or something...

Cheers,

Louis :)

devinci

by devinci

eheh Louis!

I think my real time is 15 min 38 sec, about 44km/h average speed.

If the official times are wrong for everyone, and constantly wrong, I am 11th out of 85 riders.

Cheers

Geoff

by Geoff

Ahhh, there is another good excuse for an SRM! You never need to worry about timing! Once you download your ITT file, you can create a separate Interval File for your ITT. The 'start of the 'interval' is when you put power down in the starthouse (that will be really obvious) and the 'end' will be when you power-down as you cross the line!

devinci

by devinci

yeah, if only SRM werent that expensive. Right now im looking for buying at caad9 bb30 framet set with an sisl crankset, but I wonder if I should go for a powermeter instead. For sure, for this sort of money, I cant have an srm, and I'd not want a PT.

Geoff

by Geoff

I would bet that you can score a used, wired, Si PowerMeter and PCV set-up for under $CND1,000...

devinci

by devinci

sure, but I dont want to buy a used PM, nor a wired one.

PT looks cheat, but I dont know about the reliability, under rain etc.

A cheap SRM with edge 500 would be the stuff, but its expensive huhuhu

LouisN

by LouisN

devinci wrote: about 44km/h average speed.

Cheers

With all those little things (helmet, disc wheel, IMPROVED TRAINING, etc...)

You're are getting some serious avg. speed !! :thumbup:

Congrats on getting close to your goals. With limited $$$$ !!!!

Louis :)

GZA

by GZA

I've got a few used SRM's they are very reliable - if you get the wired ones. Do not worry about that!

devinci

by devinci

whats teh cheapest way of getting a WIRELESS SRM with the cheapest head unit (garmin or whatever). I dont mind having the SRM cranks

Geoff

by Geoff

I am running a wireless DA 7900 Powermeter with a PCVII because I have to. If I had my druthers, I would be running the DA 7900 as a wired PowerMeter. Unfortunately, the new chassis does not allow the inclusion of the wired sending coil. Last season, the 7800 PowerMeter did allow that option, but it required the removal of one of the batteries. Team Columbia ran PowerMeters in that configuration.

If you are in-the-market for a powermeter and are on a budget, you really should give some thought to a used, wired SRM. They are extremely reliable and there is never any issue with the corruption of data (having said that, I have not personally experienced data loss with the PCVI or PCVII, although I know of cases to the contrary).

devinci

by devinci

I'd really go toward wireless SRM cause i'd like to train with it on my road bike AND my TT bike... I dont think the wired one would allow this?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

For a start Powertaps are quite accurate and very reliable (and cheap).

Wireless (PT or SRM) are easier to swap around, however it is easy enough to have a wired setup on both bikes. Just buy x2 wired pickups and bracket for the PT head unit or SRMPC and its a breeze to swap over.

Best thing for performance ever.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com