The W word... Lets share our ideas

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Both my dad and I use our powertaps in the rain regularly and have never had a single issue. They do their job, there is just the drawback with the wheels.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

devinci wrote:I'd really go toward wireless SRM cause i'd like to train with it on my road bike AND my TT bike... I dont think the wired one would allow this?

As Tapeworm has already suggested. Just buy a second wiring set and make sure both bikes are running the same BB. Couple minute job to swap between bikes.

I've gone second hand wired SRM twice and have had no issues - if you hunt around you can pick up some bargains. I recently bought a wired FSA SRM for my TT bike for AU$630! Had it checked after buying and getting it recalibrated with the new chainrings - even the batteries were still fine!

If you are still set on wireless, I'd go with the Quarq matched to a Garmin. They have been around long enough now to show reliability and accuracy.

devinci

by devinci

I thougth about qarq with garmin edge 500.

Can anyone tell me if the qarq system AND the garmin edge 500 are available right now or if I gotta wait for it?

thanks

KWalker

by KWalker

Yes, both are, but some crank options have a wait time and it will be pricier if you don't supply your own crank arms.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Chiva

by Chiva

Winter training. Well here in Chandler, AZ, its gets soooooo cold. In fact The 35-40 degree early mornings are so cold that I ride over lunch when its at least 65 degrees or in the evening after work when its 55. I usually have to at least use knee warmers and most times full leg warmers w/ long finger gloves. Life is so tough here. Well, not really, I'm just a total wuss. I can definately tolerate the heat though. I can race in 105-110 weather and do well.

Chiva

KWalker

by KWalker

You are a wuss. I used to live/ride/train in Tempe and I used warmers a half dozen times. Up here in Central NY I was using both off and on until last week and I didn't have a warmer free ride until April
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

http://www.philipdeignan.com/node/73 wrote:I have different training zones and the endurance rides are my zone two which is 250 watts on rolling terrain with two or three low cadence, high power sessions thrown in on some good drags or steep climbs.

From this week on I will be focusing more on my intensity training which all about riding for 1.5 hours or two hours at 300 watts. I will also start work on improving my climbing which involves riding a nice 20 minute climb just on my threshold.

I like this guy. :up:
Hell yeah!

devinci

by devinci

BTW, im might buy an SRM amateur, if you guys could give me insights on the reliability of the system, even though it is +/-5% accurate. I think if I always train with it, it can be fine, although not that accurate, somehow it might be fine for training? Do you really need to be that much accurate with power while training since you often train between ranges of power (zones)
thanks

Geoff

by Geoff

You AZ guys make me ill! :wink: I would give my eye teeth for 35-40 degrees. We get -35 to -40 degrees! If it is warmer than 10 degrees and not snowing, we ride out here (otherwise the cassettes ice-up).

Chiva

by Chiva

I am a wuss. I'm so used to the heat extreme that a little cool weather kills me. I do go up to southern UT in the late fall and ride a bit. About 25 degrees F when I leave the house and about 15 degrees at the summit (9,600 ft). That descent is a cold, brutal beast. Even if I ride up w/ jersey full unzipped, the sweat still gets the kit a bit damp which feels like ice water on the way down. I admire you cold weather guys. You dudes are true hard-men! I wear full leg warmers and long-fingered gloves more often than I would like to admit.

Chiva

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

You should try doing the Stelvio. 25 degrees when we started, 3 degrees and rain at the summit. That's turnes out to be one long and cold descent.
Hell yeah!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Wtf I don't even know how this got here. I didn't even have this tab open :noidea:
Last edited by Martin.F on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Well what do you want to win next year and when are those races? What will it take to be in for the kill when it matters? All these numbers are great but they are just a means to an end. For me, our 2014 race calendar won't be released till Jan~Feb next year so I focus on making my wife like me again right now so I can actually do the races I want next year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

devinci

by devinci

I see torque as fairly irrelevant here. What I understand is you want to increase your FTP. From a pure endurance cyling performance I see very little value and evidence yet in weight training. Same applies for low cadence intervals or whatever you want to do with cadence, torque and efforts.

Why not focus on higher intensity efforts above FTP? It has been shown efforts around 90% Vo2max are a strong stimulus for skeletal muscle adaptations, just as L3-L4 is supposed to be. With higher intensity efforts, you need a lower total work volume and you may even drain a bit less muscle glycogen, which would make recovery faster. Well trained athlete may not get the most out of continuous work as much as they would get out of high intensity intervals.

I think its worth a try, it would make your training more diversified if nothing else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Martin post is missing