High Metabolism Solutions?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BHobson

by BHobson

I am 6'2" 155lbs., and have a very quick metabolism. On medium distance rides(40 to 50mi. w/ 2500-3000ft. of climbing), I am usually starving(massive hunger pangs) and bonking hard at the last 10 or so miles. I dont know what to do in order to overcome this. I have tried bringing a banana and i burn through those pretty quick. Is there a trick or a some magic food that can help avoid such quick loss of fuel? For those who have high metabolism, what do you do in these situations or how did you overcome this problem? I drink plenty and eat well previous to the rides. I just hate suffering so severely on the last part of the ride, its really not enjoyable in the least. Anything will help!!! Thanks.

mouse

by mouse

have you tried gels during your ride? try half a packet every 1/2 hour or so. i like hammer gel, and i'll take some every 20 minutes or so during a ride, along with a power bar or cliff bar every 45 minutes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

I know where you're coming from, i am the bonk master. Have you tried loading up on carbs the night before?

BHobson

by BHobson

yes i have tried carb loading! I usually eat way more carbs than I maybe should, but I need it for the energy. Plus I love bread and pasta. It is mainly just burning off the fuel that i goive my body much too fast. i have not tried gels, but i did order some ind. packets from Hammer nutrition, to see if it works and which flavor i like, so i guess i will see after that! Right now im just frustrated with my performance, im just not sure if im doing something wrong when im out riding. I dont have a heart rate monitor, but i avarage 90-100 cadence as much as possible. Lots of climbing. maybe im just being a wimp. :D

JK

by JK

Have you done enough long, slow endurance training or does every training you do become an intense affair?

The body uses stored body fat and carbohydrates for fuel. At high intensities the amount of fat is low and the amount of carbs burned high. One of the functions of endurance training is to train the body to use less carbs for fuel and more fat. This efficiency pays off when riding at a higher intensity, because carb stores are spared a bit more, effectively delaying a 'bonk'.

-edit- Just read your post again: I thought your average distance was in kilometers... They turn out to be miles. I am guessing these rides take about 2,5-3 hrs? It is perfectly normal to empty your fuel tank with rides of this duration at medium to high intensity! That does not mean what I said above is not true: It is. But you will have to eat appr. 60 grams of carbs per hour (the body does not accept more) to avoid bonking.

kom

by kom

take some food with some healthy fats+protein

Ivan

by Ivan

BHobson, may i ask you a question, are you a guy that finds it hard to put on a bit weight ? i have a brother who can eat whatever he want wthout putting on ANY weight at all. When he does sport and eats carbs before the training he is bonking in about an hour. Now he has increased his fat intake to about 30 - 40 % and is experiencing much less problems. Maybe you should consider this also.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

BHobson

by BHobson

Ivan-
Yes, it is extremely difficult for me to gain weight. I have always been scrawny, but now this suits me, switching from a BMX to road cyclist. I can eat anything I want, and not see any detrimental effect on my physique. I will try eating more fatty foods, (McDonalds here i come!) Just kidding. Im guessing things like fatty fish, nuts, olive oil, etc, maybe even an oil supplement (flax, Udo's Blend) will help me comsume more of these healthy fats? It makes sense, and I hope it will work. Thank you for the valuable feedback. I really appreciate it. Keep it coming if you can guys!

Tippster

by Tippster

Could you not counter the high metabolism with low Glycimic Index (GI) foods. Oats for example give out the energy they supply over a short period, while sugar gives out the energy it supplies in a short burst.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Ivan

by Ivan

Yes, try to eat more healthy fats off course, you do not want to increase your cholesterol too much ! I am afraid this takes a bit of experimenting with food as no book will give you any advise about fat intake before sports ! Hope you find a solution anyway.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

Tippster

by Tippster

Ivan wrote:Yes, try to eat more healthy fats off course, you do not want to increase your cholesterol too much ! I am afraid this takes a bit of experimenting with food as no book will give you any advise about fat intake before sports ! Hope you find a solution anyway.

Sports Nutrition books will offer advise about fat intake before sports. From memory Burke et al suggest a diet of:
60 / 25 / 15
Carb / Protein / Fat

With the aim of supplying an endurance cyclist with energy for 6 days a week training between 15 miles and 50+ miles a day.

Other studies have varied only slightly from the split above.

Tippster

by Tippster

I think the Burke book has entitled Long Distance Cycling.

It also suggests grams of Carb intake based on your weight and levels of activity, tailered towards weight loss or steady state.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

A banana doesn't have that many calories.

I am about ten pounds heavier and the same height. You need a solid breakfast with lots of carbs and a little fat, and to have many more calories along with you for the ride.

For a 2-3 hour ride, for me, that would be eating about twice what I think feels like enough beforehand, and a granola/energy bar and one of the two waterbottles filled with a sports drink.

You're not in a position to worry about eating "too much." Eat whatever. As long as it's not greazy potato chips three meals a day (and on off days) you'll be in better condition.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I agree with Tipster about low GI food.

I start each day with at least 12 wheat biscuits, although occassionally I eat upto 24.

Taking food with you is important, and the general rule in TDF is eating during today's stage is the energy for tomorrow's stage.

Rice has a high GI, but most other starch based food have a low GI. Buy the GI book, it's really cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

the Repeater wrote:A banana doesn't have that many calories.

I am about ten pounds heavier and the same height. You need a solid breakfast with lots of carbs and a little fat, and to have many more calories along with you for the ride.

For a 2-3 hour ride, for me, that would be eating about twice what I think feels like enough beforehand, and a granola/energy bar and one of the two waterbottles filled with a sports drink.

You're not in a position to worry about eating "too much." Eat whatever. As long as it's not greazy potato chips three meals a day (and on off days) you'll be in better condition.

While what you say does make a lot of sence, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend "eat whatever". I'd pop to the shops and buy a cycling specific book on sports nutrition.

I'd go so far as to say that what you eat will have a noticible impact on your performance. Depending on your mileage (and the higher the mileage the more important), food moves away from being just "food" and becomes "fuel".

Take a petrol car and put diesel into it and see how far it goes...

An improved diet focused on your bodies needs will allow you to train longer and recover faster. A cycling specific book will also explain when top eat. The books I've read recommend to eat within 30 minutes of finishing a training ride, then again 2 hours later. Eating also at least 30 minutes or if possible at least 45 minutes before a training ride (more difficult to achieve in early morning rides).

As you read deeper into the subject you realise that processing your food requires energy from your body. Do you want your stomach to be struggling to digest breakfast while you are also asking tough questions of yourself on the bike?