returning to form after a crash

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rustychain

by rustychain

Its been 4 weeks of down time, well I did do some light spinning but no hills or hard workouts. Hoping to return to form as best and as soon I can. Should I go back to work on my base or would intervels be better? I am still strong but not as I was before. Any advise?

hottessa

by hottessa

Depends if you are a rider that normally needs lots of miles to get back into shape. Some riders need relatively few miles. I would suggest 2 weeks base miles then think about intervals.
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mumi

by Mumi

Changes from person to person..

Restart a Good Base,than if you feel ok,or if you feel like the "old days",return your normal training..

That's what i did...Many times... :)
Only immortals leave their wheel marks to the places,where mortals wont be able to walk

jalapeno

by jalapeno

I'd go with a week of 'tempo', it takes more than 4 weeks to really lose a solid base and then build on some intensity again. For me personally I find it harder to get my head back into shape after a crash, especially if it was a nasty one - the fear of crashing again in a race can have more effect on your performance than physical fitness - depends on yopur mental make-up I guess.

big fellow

by big fellow

echo what previous poster said - make sure you get a good base first

don't be too eager to get back into it, the quicker you build up the quicker you lose it

good luck....

Tippster

by Tippster

jalapeno wrote:I'd go with a week of 'tempo', it takes more than 4 weeks to really lose a solid base and then build on some intensity again. For me personally I find it harder to get my head back into shape after a crash, especially if it was a nasty one - the fear of crashing again in a race can have more effect on your performance than physical fitness - depends on yopur mental make-up I guess.

:exactly:

I'd recommend low intensity rides (zones 2 and 3 if you have a Heart Rate Monitor) whilst at the same time concentrating on improving your technique on the bike. Are you pedelling in circles? Is your pedal stroke even? Are you keeping a good even cadence?

Focusing on the above will help in getting your head back into cycling and off the negative thoughts of the crash!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com