Adjusting fit to relieve ITB syndrome

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tommyb

by tommyb

Stripping the tendon worked for me, bloody painful but cleared it up fast.
http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/201 ... drome.html

Body

by Body

tommyb wrote:Stripping the tendon worked for me, bloody painful but cleared it up fast.
http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/201 ... drome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cant find it how to strip the tendon on the webiste what you mention.
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Body

by Body

I found also very good information of Alex Reisner.
Have a look here http://alexreisner.com/itband
Albert Einstein

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I had bad recurring pain before. Not sure what worked, but my fitter did quite a few them and within a week the problem was solved. Here's what he did:

Moved my cleats medially
Raising my seat up 2cm (I was at 140 degrees at 6'oclock before)
Moving my saddle forward 1.5cm (I was using the plumb bob technique before
Gave me insoles to protect my overpronation

Also, one of my PT friends claimed my IT band was very tight. So I have been massaging it weekly to help keep it loose, but the problem had already dissipated at that point.

Body

by Body

phourgenres wrote:I had bad recurring pain before. Not sure what worked, but my fitter did quite a few them and within a week the problem was solved. Here's what he did:

Moved my cleats medially
Raising my seat up 2cm (I was at 140 degrees at 6'oclock before)
Moving my saddle forward 1.5cm (I was using the plumb bob technique before
Gave me insoles to protect my overpronation

Also, one of my PT friends claimed my IT band was very tight. So I have been massaging it weekly to help keep it loose, but the problem had already dissipated at that point.

@phourgenres

Thank you for this advise.
What do you mean with "medially the cleats"?

Good to hear that raising up your seat 2cm worked for you. How many degrees is it now?
So your knee is over the the plumb bob technique?
last question, Which insoles do you use?

Thank you
Albert Einstein

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Moved my cleats in toward the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Premium ... 49&sr=8-10

something similar to that. Same brand, don't know if it is the inner arch support model

...I was just saying typically new riders use the plumb bob techique to line their knee joint up with their pedal - but is not a outdated model (this is what I was using before the fit). During the fit (by video analysis) he put me further up than what I had placed myself.

Body

by Body

Any new expierencse in related with ITB?
Albert Einstein

Courant

by Courant

Body wrote:Any new expierencse in related with ITB?

I'm amazed there is so little mention of hip function in all this, because this is the key to many ITB issues!!! Two steps to sorting this problem out

1. Sort out the symptoms. (Massage, foam roller, stretch, rest).
2. Sort out the root cause. (Hip flexor stretches, single leg deadlifts, single leg squats).

If your glutes aren't firing properly (glute med in particular), your itb gets hammered. Fix your glutes, fix your itb.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

As for the symptoms, +1 foam roller and stretching for hip flexor tightness and ITB issues. Root cause? I think it's from sitting on the soft sofa every evening!

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

My ITB gave up the ghost (again) after the 80k TT of a 2.80.20 tri. Couldn't even raise a run, so DNF. Four months training down the drain.
Traced the root cause back to two things - poor bike fit on the TT bike, and insufficient flexibility in my lower back. Flexibility is easy enough to work on, but I'm not going to be able to get this bike to fit me - so it's going to have to go. New bike shopping is good, but not when it's paid for by three weeks of limping around like Quasimodo.

Anyhoo, some flexibility work has eased it off (over the past three weeks) and I'll be back at full steam by this coming weekend. I do sympathise with anyone suffering this though. A$$ of a thing to deal with.
2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am a big believer in conservative therapy for all these over-use type soft tissue injuries. However with IT Band syndrome I am of the opinion that if you have had it, got rid of it but only to have it come back again than you are a chronic case. I tried everything after multiple bouts in both legs. In the end I have resorted to surgery.

Current techniques are very effective. My left knee was done August 1 with very good results and I will have the right done next week. No pain and full range of motion of at two weeks post op, gentle riding at 4 weeks. At 8 weeks following the surgery while there was still some very minor post operative discomfort, there was absolutely no IT band pain. At 12 weeks I could go 100%.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Body

by Body

Has anyone tried to put his cleats back wards, like Steve Hugg recommands on his block
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... t-position
Albert Einstein