Any Racers? and Distance Per Year

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Who here races every year? Any Pro's in the forum? How far do you train per year? What is your strength and weakness? What has been the one thing that has helped you improve the most in the last year or two?

me: I have been a Cat 2 in the states but took a couple of years off and just got relicensed as a 3. I train upwards of 16,000 k's a yr with my full time job holding me back a bit. Hope to reach that 16,000 k point this year. My strength is endurance and I used to be a decent climber. Now, I am too big but I am working on that too. :roll:

The best training device I have used in the last year or so has been Powercranks. My power while seated increased dramatically. Adding a Ciclopsport HAC 4 has helped too...I just got to use it for what its intended a little more.

Thats it for me. Now, discuss amongst yourselves and post your replies, :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I have been an amateur, road racing for about 20 years! I usually get in about 12,000 kms/yr of training and racing. I feel my strengths are, good time trailing ability and I am tactically sound. My weaknesses are sustaining high wattage for a long period of time (climbing), I get my butt handed to me at mountainous races like Green Mountain SR :shock:

I am in the midst of trying to change this problem, I am lowering my racing weight by approximately 10 lbs. Its tough training at modest intensity on calorie restricted diet :!: I have a light bike and lite wheels which has helped my accelerations and climbing, but money didn't solve the problem.

My riding better (winning the occasional race, and feeling stronger) coincided with my diet change to vegetarianism about 6 years ago. I also increased the amount of omega 3 fatty acids in my diet. Hope this info is of some use.
More than 10 years a Weenie!

spoke n words

by spoke n words

thats interesting since I am about 98% vegetarian myself (I eat some tuna and thats about it). I know there have been many successful pro vegetarians and one fully veggie team. They didnt last too long because Paul McCartney isnt as cool as his wife was. :wink:

hottessa

by hottessa

I'm a Pro with a Continental UCI Team. Basically if you work full time, you need 2-3hrs a day for hard training.
I suggest 2 hrs minimum per day at a "brisk rate" and on a long day i.e. a wednesday try to fit in 1.5hrs before work and 2 hrs after work.
Day before race day 1 hr 30 mins easy pace. Thats basically it! Midweek racing helps alot.
Remember you never train as hard as you do in a race!
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Hey Spoken, Did you race before becoming Veg? If so, did you notice a power increase after becoming veg? (I did). Tuna is high in omega 3's, also walnuts and flax seeds are good (vegatable source of omegas).
More than 10 years a Weenie!

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Been racing as an amateur for, what, 8 years now? I've had seasons ruined by injury and illnesses (and car accidents) the last 3 years. Hell, I don't even remember how much I used to ride. Between work, getting married, buying a house, helping my wife get her company rolling, racing has almsot fallen off my radar.

I do know there's one guy on this board who just competed at the World CX Champs. Haven't seen him post in ages though.

BTW, I know a lot of the guys on a developmental team I've worked with tend to ride 25-30 hours a week. I'll be jealous in summer, but not when they're out there doing it in 30F and snow here in Colorado - or having to ride up and downhill without legwarmers during their photoshoot at 6000' elevation...heh.

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Craigagogo wrote:Hey Spoken, Did you race before becoming Veg? If so, did you notice a power increase after becoming veg? (I did). Tuna is high in omega 3's, also walnuts and flax seeds are good (vegatable source of omegas).

I wish I could compare a before and after but Ive been a vegetarian most of my life. I think its great that you have had a positive experiance with becoming veg. I find that to be true most of time with the exceptions being those that dont eat all that healthy afterwards (lets not forget that most ice cream is vegetarian :D ) And Omegas are very important esp for athletes.

As far as training with a full time job I must say that I too followed the 2 to 3 hours a day rule with mixed intensity and one day off or easy. I find with the right course it works well. But you can forget about that right now. So far I have lived in Indiana and Connecticut and that means "the winter blues."

Nor-Cal Master

by Nor-Cal Master

I'm new here but have been racing since 1987 here in California.

I race as a Cat 2 master and excel in hard RR's and Time Trials.....love the crits though way to much fun :)

I ride about 700 hours a year now, closer to 1000 10 years ago......but now with work and a family 700 fits the bill just fine.

I found that training with a good HR based plan has worked well for me with the reduced training time in the last few years.....that and losing some weight I gained when I went into my dad is sitting on the couch phase a few years back.

Just be consistant with your trianing and you will improve.

MS

Tippster

by Tippster

I have been getting 6k to 8k miles a year in. I'm currently building a base for my first century. This will mean stepping up to 10k to 12k miles a year.

I work full time, but we have a shower here at work and the security is very good with CCTV everywhere and security gates, as I work at a power station. I commute to work and back. Its faster than by car and with the shower at work, I get a work-out that costs me NO TIME!

Nice in the Summer, but cold in the winter, I ride 12 months a year in the UK. In april, I will have been doing it for 2 years.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Mumi

by Mumi

i am a racer at U-23 category[20yr].MTBiking.Turkey.i am pedalling since i was 5yrs old and racing for 2 years.

i raced,no no, i tried to race at 2 races with my own. Because,at my first race my left pedal broken[2003-UCi Urgup Race ].At Second race,my saddle broken.[2004-UCi Alanya Race]
And Yes,i was unlucky at these two races.At 2003-2004 i did 19.000+km.
i still don't have a sponsor.i am trying to find one for joining the races..

Strength...? mmm..i think,i love climbing more than descents..

Weakness..? in 25 Feb 2004[last year] i had a left knee problem.it's permanent but not serious..[What dosent kills me makes me stronger!]

From 13 Feb 2005,i did about 640KM [only 70km asphalt]

i love everykind of cycling..From Road to DH,DH to Tours..

May the God Bless all the Racers! ;)

Not an advertising but,i also have a little site for cycling media.

Let's hope for the best and ride like the wind..

Only immortals leave their wheel marks to the places,where mortals wont be able to walk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com