HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:08 am 

How many miles you can go with "only water"?plus; "eating nothing before you ride!"

Without Bananas,without energy drinks...How many km's you can resist to your body and hunger...

Only Burning the fats on your body...

My Record is 91 KM Road.3:10:10.With 2"10 Road Tires.Used 2 waterbottles.

i start training,when i wake up everyday about 14:00 Afternoon.

Thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:01 am 

so, when you bonk you then eat something? Hmm.

My coach beat into me the need to prevent my blood-sugar from crashing. Hypoglycemia is a great way to suppress your immune system, and mine is notoriously flaky, I'm not taking any chances.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:16 am 

That really depends on how slow you go. Pedal at 15mph and you could probably go all day long without eating. What is the point of seeing how far you can go without bonking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:20 am 

personally, I have hit the wall at about 60K if I don't eat, that would be at a speed of 29 or 30 kph. done it a few times. it is tough getting home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:04 am 

I won't go riding with out eating before I leave I hate bonking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:56 am 

Mumi wrote:
How many miles you can go with "only water"?plus; "eating nothing before you ride!"

Without Bananas,without energy drinks...How many km's you can resist to your body and hunger...

Only Burning the fats on your body...

My Record is 91 KM Road.3:10:10.With 2"10 Road Tires.Used 2 waterbottles.

i start training,when i wake up everyday about 14:00 Afternoon.

Thanx.

I'll check the book I'm currently reading "Long Distance Cycling" - Ed Burke. From memory, I'm pretty sure that Ed Burke rode 500 miles with no food or water. I'll double check tonight and post the exact quote and details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:58 am 

Again from memory (and I will check and re-post) your muscles use an energy source called Glycogen. I'm pretty sure the body is able to store around 2,000 calories within the muscles alone.

I will check and re-post tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:51 am 

That's right. Your body stores glycogen in your muscle (most of it) and some in the blood and the liver.

Drinking water only does not make your body consume fat. That depends on intensity. Your body allways (if available) burns glycogen AND fat. At a higher intensity, a higher percentage of glycogen compared to fat is burned. At lower intensities more fat is burned than glycogen, but because total energy expenditure is less, the total amount of fat consumed is lower than at high intensity.

A well trained, well fed person has enough carbohydrates (glycogen) to last around 1,5-2 hrs of high intensity training or racing. At lower intensity, these will last a lot longer.

So: Your assumption "burning fat only" is completely false. Off topic: This kind of training is highly ineffective. Training without eating and/or drinking well prolongs your recovery time by a lot, effectively delaying the next quality training and making for less quality training in the same period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:02 am 

JK is right on the money - intensity is the number one key to what fuel you use

even with no food, the second you sprint your body will use glycogen as its fuel source - period. if your intensity drops then your body will be able to oxidise fat as its main fuel source

whether you eat a pizza, chocolate, or 100 bananas intensity will determine what fuel your body uses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm 

Danny Chew rode 170 miles with no food or drink a couple of months after winning the 1999 RAAM.

Also, a well training cyclist stores between 1,200 and 2,000 calories in their muscles as gylcogen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:41 pm 

Tippster wrote:
Danny Chew rode 170 miles with no food or drink a couple of months after winning the 1999 RAAM.

Also, a well training cyclist stores between 1,200 and 2,000 calories in their muscles as gylcogen.

As stated above, it's still not a smart thing. Your body can only replenish so much at a time (either food or water). About 6 years ago, my training went awry, and I stripped my glycogen stores from my blood, muscle, and liver. Walking down the hallway made me black out one day. It took days to get back to the point where I wasn't dizzy daily, and a few months before I could really train again.

Skipping water does not make sense, unless one is STRICTLY trying to acclimatize themselves to water deprivation (and even this has seen conflicting studies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:29 am 

in fact it's a stupid thing to do, you do a hell of a lot more damage to your body that way, it coudl take you some time to recover from it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:56 am 

Bonk training is one of those old-school methods that has fallen from favor, for good reason. I believe Chris Boardman even blames or partially blames bonk for some of the health issues he now faces.

As mentioned above, the energy sources are dictated by intensity in an additive fashion. Glycogen is the primary fuel for intensive aerobic efforts (like a time trial), but fats are used as well. How far would depend upon how fast. If you kept the intensity low enough you could go very, very far without eating, as even a very lean guy has a lot of fat calories to burn.

Personally, the longest I ever went was 80 miles. Took me 4:05, alone, with 7000 feet of climbing along the way. I just had enough to get over the big climb about 15 miles from the end, but it was tough to keep a hard effort after that. Not something I want to try again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:03 am 

I went for a ride a few days ago and forgot to fill my pockets with food.

I went hypoglycemic at 140km and had a Mars bar at 170k.

I then did another 70km feeling revitalised and stopped only cause the sun was setting.

Went to the shops afterwards and purchased heaps of food, got home had a nibble and realised I wasn't hungry :?

Can anyone make sense of why I wouldn't eat like a horse after the ride?

You don't get to eat much during races so I thought training without a substantial food intake would help prepare me for the strains of racing. Not sure it was the smartest thing to do.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:16 am 

Bruiser wrote:
Can anyone make sense of why I wouldn't eat like a horse after the ride?>

Distance is not as meaningful as kilojoules...

Go to page 1, 2  Next