HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 pm 

Are recovery weeks essential during a conventional base period? This is my first training year where I'm planning a conventional training program following a typical endurance training model, I'm a 44yo with several years of stuctured training under my belt, mainly mtb focused but now I want to concentrate more on road, previously I’ve always adopted a sort or reverse periodization type program consisting of a lot of indoor SST during base due to time limitations and weather etc. This year with a winter bike, more time, good lights and clothing I plan on riding outside for all but a few interval based workouts (snow and ice allowing). I’ve started my base early and plan to continue through til Jan-Feb, due to a complete lack of motivation for any sort of structured training or riding for the most of this year, I have been riding on and off but only when I wanted to and just rode, sometimes not for weeks. Anyhow I’ve got my mojo back, weight is coming off and training is going good so far I want to ensure I have a good aerobic base. For the past six weeks I’ve been riding 10-14hrs a week almost exclusively in zone 2 (about 75-80%of my total time per week) increasing volume and TSS slightly each week, 2hrs Tue & Thur, 3-4hrs Sat and 4-5hrs Sun so apart from the weekends I get good bit of recovery during the week. Is it still necessary to include easy weeks with a reduced volume during a low intensity base period?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 pm