What is everyone weighing in at?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

majklnajt

by majklnajt

HUMP DIESEL wrote:Started the training at the first of November, plus went all plant based meals-160 starting lbs.. Weighed in last Saturday at 149, and still feeling great. Weight is coming off, strength is still there. Feeling really good, should be another great season. 5'-8 1/2" tall.

You are on plant based - vegan diet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

HUMP, can you please stop quoting the post above. It's not required

Yes, plant based-vegan. No meat, milk or dairy.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Cool! Are you having any vegan protein shakes too?

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

majklnajt wrote:Cool! Are you having any vegan protein shakes too?

Nope. Usually when I get back in from training, I make me some sort of Pita/wrap with beans, lots of veggies, hummus, then maybe a bowl of fruit with soy yogurt. Then I snack the rest of the day on mostly fruit. Works for me. Have not missed meat yet. I did however just kick the dairy habit in the coffee, but have not missed that either.

HUMP

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Hi, I have been active since I was a teenager, mostly biking for a few months but mainly waters ports. Some periods of weight lifting.

Im on my eighth month of my most serious cycling phase and have lost weight.

I've stayed around 180 since high school. But kow I'm 158. I'm rrying to eat a lot but it's har to consume enough calories. Some rides I burn well over 1000 calories.

I'm 6 ft, 34 years old. I suppose I have a high metabolism.

The problem is is that the only food that has xalories is fattening foods, otherwise you have to eat rediculous amounts and I'm not that hungry.

I've tried eating a lot but I'm only maintaining, and my weekly miles atelier going up?

Could there be something wrong like hypothyroidism(also a hypochondriac :) )

What can I eat that is healthy to gain weight? Or do I have to just start earing empty calories and thats ok because I eat enough healthy foods and itamins tht I am getting enough nutrients.

CLG

by CLG

Holy cow. I gotta cut out food.
184cm
89.19kg
About 9% bf (I raced a lot of BMX, did lots of heavy explosive Olympic lifting)

KWalker

by KWalker

I'd love to see DEXA scans of before and after the plant-based diet. At the rate you're losing, which is roughly 2 lbs per week you're assuredly losing muscle. Any power data thus far?

With 11lbs of weightloss and assuming you had say a 320w threshold when you started, your power could have declined to 300w and you'd still have the same power to weight ratio and not notice. This happened to a friend of mine last year and he was convinced his power was equal until he did the same 40km tt from the year before on the same equipment and put up a much worse time and power output.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CLG

by CLG

Northoceanbeach wrote:Hi, I have been active since I was a teenager, mostly biking for a few months but mainly waters ports. Some periods of weight lifting.

Im on my eighth month of my most serious cycling phase and have lost weight.

I've stayed around 180 since high school. But kow I'm 158. I'm rrying to eat a lot but it's har to consume enough calories. Some rides I burn well over 1000 calories.

I'm 6 ft, 34 years old. I suppose I have a high metabolism.

The problem is is that the only food that has xalories is fattening foods, otherwise you have to eat rediculous amounts and I'm not that hungry.

I've tried eating a lot but I'm only maintaining, and my weekly miles atelier going up?

Could there be something wrong like hypothyroidism(also a hypochondriac :) )

What can I eat that is healthy to gain weight? Or do I have to just start earing empty calories and thats ok because I eat enough healthy foods and itamins tht I am getting enough nutrients.

You can be going way over 1000kcal/ride.

What are you eating/drinking during and for recovery?
What's the daily protein intake?

I doubt your hyperthyroid (would cause too fast metabolism) or Hypo (would cause slowing of metabolism). Hypo can be checked primitively by looking for flimsy fingernails, low body temp, cold sensitivity and lethargy. If so check with a doc.

Sounds like your not eating enough at the right times.

KWalker

by KWalker

1000 is noting, my average 2 hr ride with threshold intervals is like 1350-1500kj at around 168lbs at the moment. Some bigger base rides rack up upwards of 3500kj
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

devinci

by devinci

my typical 65-75min trainer session with FTP intervals is 1000kj @ 68kg

burning 1000 cal isnt real ahrd especially if you can ride outdoors for some decent time

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

KWalker wrote:I'd love to see DEXA scans of before and after the plant-based diet. At the rate you're losing, which is roughly 2 lbs per week you're assuredly losing muscle. Any power data thus far?

With 11lbs of weightloss and assuming you had say a 320w threshold when you started, your power could have declined to 300w and you'd still have the same power to weight ratio and not notice. This happened to a friend of mine last year and he was convinced his power was equal until he did the same 40km tt from the year before on the same equipment and put up a much worse time and power output.

Power is still good at this point. Have not gotten into any interval work other than muscle tension. I have been in the gym though and feel stronger all around, sqauts, leg presses and leg curls. Feel strong there.

HUMP

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Northoceanbeach wrote:The problem is is that the only food that has xalories is fattening foods, otherwise you have to eat rediculous amounts and I'm not that hungry.

What kind of things are you eating? It's mostly the industrially manufactured/processed foods that have lots of hidden calories, and little nutritional value in comparison. If you find places that are cooking freshly, or occasionally prepare something yourself, you can take lots of calories in, in a healthy way.

Anyway, I have a similar "problem", I don't really put on weight (not that I wanted to). Even in periods of less training, due to family/work.

paulclay

by paulclay

5' 8" and a svelte 123lb. (actually I just ate a box of See's candy and drank a bottle of wine..now I'm 126). Need to lose some weight now.

grid256

by grid256

I've been a vegan just shy of 20 years and it's a piece of cake to gain weight. Just eat cake:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MDH

by MDH

Age - 39
Height 6'5"
Claimed weight 12.5st
Actual weight 13.3st
Lost 3st last year through cycling.

I'd like to get down to 12.7st for the summer.