Check out my position on the bike

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Here's my position on bike. I'm 6'1" 167lbs
Alot have commented that my back is so arched. I never noticed till I took these pics. Looks like my lower hips and back have zero movement and my upper back is doing all the bending. I have never been able to touch my toes or even sit at 90 degrees up against a wall on floor without lots of tension.
Let me know what you think
Here's me with slight knee bend bending from waist with a flat back as much as I can. Looks like I might need hamstring extensions. My wife can get to 45• below horizontal with flat back

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I had similar issues to you before I started working on it. I think the main issue here is posture and flexibility. You aren't rolling your hips forward, which is what allows a straight back. You are sitting flat down which then means you have to bend your back over.

I'd talk to a proper physio to find out which stretches would be best but you definitely need to do some back stretches, as well as quad and hamstring; if these muscles are tight they pull on your back, reducing flexibility. Improving your core strength would also be wise because you would be able to hold yourself you better with out using your arms as much.

Fell free to call bullshit to this though. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have no medical qualifications at all. But I'm not surprised that you are getting comments. Just wow.

Just for interest, could you post your saddle height, saddle nose to bar centre, and bar drop measurements?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Bantamben

by Bantamben

My saddle height is 82cm
My setback is 9cm
My saddle tip to center of bars is 58.5cm
Drop is currently at 8cm but If I slam it can be at 11cm.
Here is a pic where I am acting like I'm going into the drops you can see that my lower back or hips can't rotate any more as my hamstrings are so taught so my upper back does all the stretching. Just looking at it makes me realize why when I do rides over an hour my shoulders and neck hurt so much.

If you compare there's not much difference between lower back in both photos. People always assume I'd be flexible because I've always been skinny.

fitty4

by fitty4

To the first pics. :How long is the stem and how long is the top tube of your frame? To me it looks like if you want to be more streched out you could put a longer stem on your bike and maybe raise the bar a little if your fork isn't cut to short it's hard to see on the pic.

To the pic. standing with arched back, have you had a medical check on your back? have you pain in your back? I'm no expert but it seems like you could have: Scheuermann's disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheuermann's_disease.

I have this issue myself and sometimes it bothers me alot but taking my precautions what not to do, I can live with this just fine.

As you see the discs wedged shaped typical in the lower back and more or less the middle

The best thing I think would be a proper bike-fit with someone who also have physician knowledge.

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't sweat it. Everyone is different. What is important is being comfortable so you can enjoy the sport, not having the 'perfect' position based upon some idealized 'standard'.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm the same height as OP with all the measurements virtually identical, except I run 11cm drop normally. My back is pretty flat. From the photo's it looks like the bike is scrunching you up, except that the measurements look like they should be OK for you. I think fitty may be on to something.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Thanks my stem is 120mm and my top tube is 58.5
Bike is a size 60cm pegoretti
Last edited by Bantamben on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Thanks, I think I met get an appointment and go see kaiser. My back is almost always sore I just kinda got used to it figured being an electrician its just from hard work. My hips and lower back are usually the really tight part especially in the morning.
Maybe I can get some physical therapy worse case and get some flexibility.i

fitty4

by fitty4

If you have this scheuermann's disease, maybe you should think more of you working positions. My back is not nearly as arched as yours but even when i cut my toe nails I have to take 2-3 pauses putting my back upright otherwise I'll start to have pain. Even putting socks on in the morning is a bit harder than in the afternoon. Like you I'm not flexible in the hip or the lower back, at least not bending forward. When I tell the doctors or physiotherapists that I have this condition they feel with their fingers on my spine and they always find the "spot" in my upper back that is caussing some issues.

One of worst things for me is not being active, after 4 days of not going to the gym or not cycling I start to have more pain than usually.

I don't know if you can relate to any of this, I hope you figure out your way to ride your bike with legs burning instead of a bach aching, it's so much more fun

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Sounds like I have the same issues I do. Yeah putting on socks seems like a chore. Mornings im really tight, then start to loosen up a little but being on feet alot and standing my back gets really sore tired. especially when standing in line with kids at disneyland. Did you just ask the doctor to check your back, or did you bring it up to him about the disease. Is it genetic as that word sounds German and both my grandparents are from Germany. My grandma has a noticeable hump on her back although she seems to be fine and still washes her own car at 83.

fitty4

by fitty4

I found out 21 years ago when I was 19. I was doing my draft/conscription as a fireman (not sure if this is the correct way to say it) and I had so much backpain like never before, just wearing the fireproof underwear,uniform and then the working uniform on top of that, a toolbelt with a waterbottle in one side. I didn't want to be there not like that, so I heard about some other guys getting out because they had back issues, and I told the officers at the place that I had serious back pain and they sent me to the hospital to do x-ray.

However I was told at the time that you had to have 3 wedged shaped discs on top of each other before you can call it scheuermanns disease and I had 2x2 wedgeshaped discs so I had to stay. I was not taking part in training since the doctors orders were not to lift and whenever there where practice in putting out fires, first aid (lifting people) =) I managed to get physiotherapy, 19 times if I remeber correctly during the 6 months. After 4½ months they siad if I wanted to I could get out......but I stayed 1½ month that was left, not doing the hard work thoug.

And yeah standing in line is a bugger, carrying groceries in 1 hand also so I always try to have equal amount of weight in both hands

s4life

by s4life

You need to do flexibility exercises (yoga would help) and some general leg strengthening. Your hamstrings are pretty weak.

mdusink

by mdusink

I had the same position as you on my bike, until I got a powermeter and started experimenting. I ended up lowering my saddle and putting it back as far as I could. As a result, my back is more straight and I use my glutes a lot more (back of the leg and bum). Especially on climbs I am generating 20 more watts. It will feel like your way to low on your bike, but give it a try for 20 minutes. The feeling will pass. Also, It might help you with your back problems, because your position will differ greatly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

He already runs with 90mm of setback, which is on the high end of what many pros run:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110418

How much setback do you run?
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268