Curious question when sprinting, need advice

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

raptor03

by raptor03

Hi guys, just like to ask - When you accelerate from someone elses wheel and kick to start a sprint, do you guys feel like you're pulling too hard and lifting the front wheel off the ground a little? I feel it when I kick and it makes me feel very unstable. Anyone else feel like this or is this normal?

Is it due to poor technique or a poor bike fit? I'd like to correct it as it makes my sprinting very poor.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

maybe too high front end? show us your bike setup please :_

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zirxo

by zirxo

Lean more over the bars and you should be all set.

Stoo

by Stoo

Never lifting the front end!

Rear skips sometimes but that's being too far forward..
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Even sprinters get it wrong:- https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4007/4282 ... 87e4f6.jpg

Practice!
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

hna

by hna

Isn't Awang doing that on purpose?

by 11.4

hna wrote:Isn't Awang doing that on purpose?

I'm not sure where that was taken, but doing a wheelie just as he's losing a sprint? I don't think so. At least not intentionally. He does have a tendency to move way back on his saddle and lose some control, and riders around him have often commented on it.

by 11.4

First, if you really move too far back, you basically are setting yourself up to do a wheelie. Some riders do that, but if you watch Pervis or any of the French, or Hoy, you'll see how you should be pulling your butt inwards. That may take care of the problem.

Second, if you jerk with your arms, you will lift the front wheel. Some people try to make up for lack of core strength by pulling harder with the bars, in effect trying to brace the torso. Again, it can lift the front wheel temporarily.

Third, where is this happening? On a straight or a banking? If you are pointed uphill at all, it's much easier to lift your front wheel slightly because your center of gravity is rotated backwards.

Mostly we need to see photos. It's hard to make much of that problem without seeing what might be causing it.

drchull

by drchull

I did this a lot when I was younger. I usually probably had my shoulders and head up way to high too. I find now I try a much more Cavendish like position with head and shoulders down low, more flexion at the elbows, more aerodynamic in the sprint. Try to make circles with the hands as opposed to pulling up hard.
Also the track guys will all tell you it easier to accelerate in a lower gear. Often popping up the front wheel indicates you are trying to accelerate in to large a gear and so are pulling too much with your hands to compensate. Again i probably did this a lot more when I was younger because I had down tube shifters and so would shift up more in anticipation of sprint than I do now.

mattr

by mattr

11.4 wrote:
hna wrote:Isn't Awang doing that on purpose?
and riders around him have often commented on it.
AFAIK he is doing it deliberately. And he's been dqed for it more than once

Dalai

by Dalai

They are both throwing for the line which is just out of frame. Aussie Ryan Bayley was know for his throws...

Footage of Ryan throwing for the line - http://youtu.be/E7T_6GtZAGo?t=3m26s

by 11.4

Ray was a long time ago, but he had huge upper body strength and almost always wheelied. I don't think I've ever seen a Frenchman wheelie. They really work that out in their positioning and training. Ray's coaches tried to work with him on it, but couldn't stop it without slowing him down so they simply let it be.

djconnel

by djconnel

Be silky smooth. Pull back not up. If you practice with a power meter you'll see this results in more power.

raptor03

by raptor03

I run a 90mm stem & am on about a total of 18.5cm's worth of headtube + spacers in front. Pretty tall and mostly legs hence my setup. I've also noticed that I tend to touch the handlebars w my knees when standing - is this normal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

raptor03 wrote:I run a 90mm stem & am on about a total of 18.5cm's worth of headtube + spacers in front. Pretty tall and mostly legs hence my setup. I've also noticed that I tend to touch the handlebars w my knees when standing - is this normal?

If you move too far forward while standing you can certainly touch the handlebars. But I'm wondering about your fit. An 18.5 cm head tube, plus spacers, and you're riding a 90 mm stem? Something's probably wrong. I'm thinking you may be on a frame that's way too big. That short a stem on that big a frame means you aren't getting your weight forward far enough to weight your front wheel properly. You really need to post photos if you want any better assessment of what's going on.