Garmin Edge 305 w/ WKO+

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'm trying to find a GPS training software that I like, so I thought I'd try out WKO+. Has anyone been able to sync to this software with the Garmin Edge 205/305? They claim compatibility with the Device Agent, but there simply is not a drop down option for those devices. Am I just wasting my time with WKO+ without a power meter though? It seems that most of their analysis tools seem to be focused on power.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

offthepace

by offthepace

Open Garmin training center and right click on workout. 'Export' workout and select a location. Open WKO+ then drag and drop the saved file into WKO.

mvogt46

by mvogt46

I have a 305 and had been using the supplied Garmin training centre software over the last year and a half which I found ok. What are you looking at in terms of functionality that you can't get out of Garmin TC?

I was looking for a little more data analysis and just recently downloaded SportTracks which provides similar data to the Garmin TC, however you can also download a plug in that will calculate training load in a similar way to WKO+, it does this using time spent in heart rate zones, basically the TRIMP method. The SportTracks software and plug in is free to download. I find this a pretty good program with probably the best level of data analysis you can get for HR based training.

Software: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Plug in: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... php?id=103

EDIT: sorry forgot to mention, I'm fairly certain that WKO+ without power does not have the funcionality to calculate training load. Although someone may correct me here as I'm not 100% certain.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Offthepace, I am aware of the export feature for GTC to WKO+, but frankly if I have to go through a 3 step process just to look at the data for every ride, I'm just not going to bother.

mvogt46, the Garmin software is sufficient, but there are just so many little details that are annoying to me. For example, the inability to zoom in on a certain span of a ride without also zooming in the vertical dimension is incredibly annoying. Also, the inability to compare two laps of a data track is also annoying. Near where I live, there is an 8 mile loop with an 8% sustained climb in the middle of it. I'd like to be able to compare multiple runs of the same loop and compare visually how each lap stacks up. I realize I can record them as completely separate trips, but I feel like kind of defeats the purpose of the lap feature. I've yet to find a software that will let you visually compare data from two runs easily. I don't know if WKO+ will do this, but looking at the sheer number of graphs available, I figured maybe there'd be a chance.

I tried sportstracks too, but frankly, for the life of me I couldn't find out how to get any sort of graph out of an individual ride. It seems like people seem to use these softwares more to keep track of total numeric metrics like calories, feet climbed, and total miles than for viewing individual ride data.

I'm almost at the point of writing a script to export data into a more standard format so that I can use labview, excel, or spotfire to view the data the way I want to.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I e-mailed trainingpeaks and they gave me some support. I had to completely uninstall and reinstall the device agent software. Now it seems to recognize the device. Whether or not the software is useful to me remains to be seen, but at least I can sync now.

motorthings

by motorthings

i've been using wko+ with my 705, first with a powertap wheel, and then without it, and it definitely helps me.

it helped a lot more when i hadthe power data, but even without it I can plug in my workouts, estimate the tss points, and keep good track of my fatigue and form as well as i need to.

the software is very powerful, and I was able to make almost all the custom graphs and charts I wanted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Now that I've gotten it to work, it indeed seems to be quite powerful. I am able to do the overlapping run analysis that I was unable to do with the garmin tool. However, this seems to only work if the X-axis is time, which seems to be good enough, but it would be easier if I could align the left and right edges of each run to make a better comparison. I'm guessing it has something to do with their internal data format being stored in time rather than distance, and they'd have to do some sort of delta distance conversion.