HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:52 am 

I also thought, SRM data of a pro would be interesting for some people (no, we don´t sell SRM stuff....)

Wese gave us a file which was recorded on an interval training session.

Interval Training

Now if you think that this is fake - ride the same training session as Wese and compare to your own data. :lol:

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:52 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:20 am 
Administrator

This would fit better over here. But thanks anyway!

This came from the Anyone get the Lightweight Obermayer wheelset yet? topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:50 pm 

I've been looking at my files, and I indeed could maintain that power for 12 mins...but during those sessions my ergomo had an incorrect offset, so I guess they weren't real...
I'll keep the graphic for comparation during this season....that'l motivate me :-)
He's 72 kg more or less the same as me, so I can compare quite fairly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:50 pm 

Thanks CS - that's really helpful.

rico

Post subject: Re: Wese
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:43 pm 

That is unreal. I have been using the SRM Pro system for 4 or 5 years now. Twelve-minute, 380 watt average repeats are insane! I guess that's why he won de Ronde...

This is what Wese had to say about the hardest part of the job while training in Phoenix this winter:

"Hmmm…. Hard to say… Right now, the days are too short. You go out at 8:00AM, train 6-7 hours, you then you have a short nap, and then it’s dark. That’s the hard thing. For 3 weeks it’s okay, but then you think ‘okay it’s enough’. Staying motivated in the winter is some of the hardest part of the job.

If you training you want to see the results, but at this time it’s just base training so you don’t see the results, and you haven’t any check point to say ‘I’m better’ or to test. On the 8th of January, when we go to Majorca, we’ll do a test ad then we’ll know if it worked or not…

I’m a professional and I want to see the results. When I’m racing, we see every week if I’m good or not, good, I can feel it...but now it’s just base training."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:01 pm 

Geoff wrote:
That is unreal. I have been using the SRM Pro system for 4 or 5 years now. Twelve-minute, 380 watt average repeats are insane! I guess that's why he won de Ronde...

This is what Wese had to say about the hardest part of the job while training in Phoenix this winter:

"Hmmm…. Hard to say… Right now, the days are too short. You go out at 8:00AM, train 6-7 hours, you then you have a short nap, and then it’s dark. That’s the hard thing. For 3 weeks it’s okay, but then you think ‘okay it’s enough’. Staying motivated in the winter is some of the hardest part of the job.

If you training you want to see the results, but at this time it’s just base training so you don’t see the results, and you haven’t any check point to say ‘I’m better’ or to test. On the 8th of January, when we go to Majorca, we’ll do a test ad then we’ll know if it worked or not…

I’m a professional and I want to see the results. When I’m racing, we see every week if I’m good or not, good, I can feel it...but now it’s just base training."

Ever heard of reverse periodization?
Until now I spent january and february on LSD (long slow distance), those sessions where really boring. This year Im gonna try reverse periodization, january will be a preparation month, then on february I will do mostly VO2max intervals, and then I will gradually increase the time on the bike until two weeks before the race, this way I will be able to do LSD when the weather is warmer and days are longer.

Post subject: Re: Wese's Training
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:16 pm 

Yes. My coach has had me do that for the past two seasons. Very effective. I am awaiting my first series of MAP interval workouts from him now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:11 am 

I due to receive a power unit this week. Will be interesting to compare. Thanks CS.

Post subject: Re: Wese's SRM File
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:40 pm 

If you are an SRM user and really want to see the difference between a guy that wins de Ronde and the rest of us, PM me an I will e-mail you the raw SRM data from that interval set!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:41 pm 

Geoff wrote:
That is unreal. I have been using the SRM Pro system for 4 or 5 years now. Twelve-minute, 380 watt average repeats are insane!

Hi Geoff,

I've read an older German Cycling magazin "Tour" wherein was a report about the last years TdF - SRM Data from Jens Voigt on a mountain etappe.

The data was so amazing, they say it was a higher load as in the classic races in the Benelux. I try to take a photo of it an post it here.

Question:
What do you mean with MAP interval?
Ore what will be VO2max interval?

Thanks
Taaboo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:31 pm 

VO2 max intervals are focused to raise your maximum volume of oxygen consumption, if we spoke about cars it would be the cubic centimeters of the engine.

Post subject: Re: SRM, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:51 pm 

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the MAP Interval is what we call the shorter (4-minute) interval repeats to differentiate them from 12-minute, 20-minute and 30-minute interval sessions.

The term 'MAP' is an acronym for 'Maximum Aerobic Potential' and is based upon a theory that the MAP of an athlete (measured in watts) can be effectively and repeatably measured over that period of time and that, combined with a 12-minute and 20-minute test (also measured in watts), a reasonable prediction of performance in watts in a variety of race conditions can be extrapolated by way of a graph. Additionally, performance gains (losses?) over known time intervals can be plotted and compared against each other and against like periods in previous years in order to determine the fitness of riders at a given time and establish optimal training strategies for individual athletes.

Interestingly, individuals in Canada have created automatic Interval Detection software with which to analyse the raw SRM data. The software saves the hassle of grouping the intervals to analyse them either individually or as a set. I haven't purchased it yet, but I intend to do so as I move into the next phase of training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:24 pm 
WWotY 2007

CarbonSports wrote:
I also thought, SRM data of a pro would be interesting for some people (no, we don´t sell SRM stuff....)

Wese gave us a file which was recorded on an interval training session.

Interval Training

Now if you think that this is fake - ride the same training session as Wese and compare to your own data. :lol:

Well he devellops 380Watt for only 35Km/h ? There should have had a very strong wind! Or perhaps he did his interval training in a mountain?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:57 pm 

Just eyeballing the raw data, I would say that it is very unlikely that it is a road file. If you have ever compared your road files to your indoor files, you would immediately see that there is a dramatic difference in the 'look' of the files. The road files will be all over the place with speed, cadence and power, which would vary with the terrain, while the indoor files will look...well like Wese's file.

If I had to guess, I would say that the file was created on an SRM Ergometer (as opposed to a road bike on a trainer of some sort) and that the Ergometer was set to the 'Isokenetic' mode. In that mode, Wese would need to keep a constant cadence (which you can clearly see on the raw data version of the file he does with amazing regularity) and the SRM Ergometer automatically 'selects' the appropriate maximal load to apply, via the eddy current brake, in order to allow him to maintain his optimal cadence. This would also explain the constancy of the 'speed', as it would be related to the consistency of his cadence, not the variable load applied by the SRM Ergometer.

This has been a facinating post, by the way. Thanks to CarbonSports for sharing it...

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:06 pm 

Thank you Geoff
I've start a new posting regardind the intervals. Because it is interesting and I don't want to entrap Geoff to hijack this posting...:-) her ist the link

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36533#36533

Cheers
Taaboo

Go to page 1, 2  Next