Riding With Asthma/Exercize Induced Asthma

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I have exercise induced asthma and take medication which is pretty much under control.

I am interested in hearing from those that have asthma/exercise induced asthma what your regimen is in order to ride/race. What medicine you take on a daily basis (including dosage), what medicine do you take before the ride (alburerol?how many puffs). If you take something before the ride, how long before the ride starts. Warm ups and anything that you do. Also if you take something before the ride if the ride is 5 or 6 hours do you take a 2nd dose sometime during the ride. Thanks
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Taniwha

by Taniwha

I have asthma, generally it presents as exercise induced, but can occaisonally arise through allergy. I manage it with a twice daily dose of Flixotide (125mcg). This is an extremely effective preventer for me and has largely removed the need for any other form of medication. Rarely, generally following colds or chest infection, I have a need to use Ventolin. This is taken immediately prior to starting exercise. For me this appears to negate the need for repeat dosage during the course of exercise. Additionally dry climate with low humidity negate the need.
I have found that the fitter I am the less chance of having to use ventolin. Additionally most milk based products, except cheese thankfully, trigger increased phlegm production and can trigger an attack. MSG and high levels of sulphides are definite nos, almost invariably leading to an attack.
Interestingly, I was a guinea pig for a study on the benefits of simulated altitude traing, and that had a very quantifiable benefit of improving my asthma.

S.
In what furnace was thy brain?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tazzy

by Tazzy

On a average day I take twice a day:

Ventolin 500
Flixotide 250

On bad days I add

Flixonase 50 (nosespray)
Xyzal (anti hystamine)

I have lung damage due to a cycling accedent years ago. I usually take some extra ventolin a minute or 10 before I go cycling. I tend to take slow(er...) the first couple of minutes to let my body adjust to the exercise.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

A couple of interesting, as my asthma relates to me, responses so far.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

Tazzy

by Tazzy

Minor correction, I forgot -> Flixotide was swaped by seretide 250

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

Tazzy wrote:Minor correction, I forgot -> Flixotide was swaped by seretide 250

I'm curious why your doctor swapped you to Seretide, otherwise known as Advair I guess known here in the US.

What is interesting to me so far as both of the people responding, although a small sample were taking Flixotide. These types of inhalers are used on a regular basis, a preventive to try to reduce inflammation in the lungs by use of corticosteroids. There are I guess about 3 or 4 different types out there that basically get similiar results. Flixotide uses Fluticasome as it's corticosteroid as does Seretide (Advair). I take Advair so Fluticasome is probably is recommended for athletes as we are 3 for 3 so far. Again a small sample.

Seretide (Advair) is a product that has two elements, an anti inflammatory and the addition of a beta agonist or bronchodilator. It works in a similar way to Ventolin (Albuterol) but is long lasting about 10-12 hours instead of 3 or 4.So in reality it keeps our lungs dialated 24/7. In addition to Advair 250 (fluticasone)/50 ( long lasting beta agonist) I take Albuterol (Ventolin) 2 puffs about 20 minutes before riding. I was taking another cortisteroid for number of years and all of a sudden needed Albuterol so that is why I guess my pulmonologist put me on Advair. His initial goal was for me to take just the Advair and not need the Albuterol before riding. Unfortunately my Exercise induced asthma is probably pretty bad and I still need the Albuterol. That is why I asked why your doctor put you on Seretide (Advair). Do you still take the Ventolin (Albuterol) before riding?

Part of the reason for posting here was my concern that my lungs need to be dialated all of the time as I don't want to be overmedicated. I was thinking I could take something like the Flixotide daily then maybe take a long lasting beta agonist like Foridil or Serevent ( long lasting bronchodilator) maybe an hour before riding then the Ventolin. So that way I would have a double dose of a bronchodilator while riding but not 24/4.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

I have exercise induced asthma too. It also comes up when I have really bad allergies. (Liver heat scorching the lungs is what kind this is in Chinese medicine)

I've been going to acupuncture once a week for the past 4 weeks and will continue to go for another 6-7 months. In addition to acupuncture I take Chinese herbs.

I find that this has helped me a lot. I used to use my inhaler before every ride, as i would start wheezing right away, but now i rarely use it. I would recommend acupuncture and Chinese herbs if you want/can afford it.

lincoln

by lincoln

I was using Flixotide, but was recently switched to Becotide (I think, I'll confirm tonight). Becotide has been OK... it does feel a bit different and not as effective as Flixotide though. The UK Doctor switched me as I think Flixotide costs a lot more than Becotide, so the Trust tries to keep costs down and she said it was just as effective. I'm half way through my inhaler at the moment.

Tazzy

by Tazzy

Becotide is an older "version" of the flixo/seratide's
At least that's what I used uses years back

The seratide was given to my to reduce the total medicine intake. At least I've started to take less since I've started taking seratide on a regular basis.
The rest is extra and I use it on the harder days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com