HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: knee replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:55 pm 

does anyone ride with there knee replaced i am faceing my right knee replaced and want to be able to ride.my surgeon says i may get full movement back but not guarenteed im still quite young(40)my left is going as well.the price i paid for motor bikes when younger any info greatly needed

Post subject: knee replacement
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:55 pm 

Bad knees here as well.
At some point, my right knee will need replacement. I asked an orthopedic surgeon a few years ago about knee replacement and cycling. He didn't mention range of motion problems but that with normal lifestyle (casual cycling occasionally) the new knee would last 7 to 15 years. With competitive cycling/training, that I would "blow through" the new knee in a year.
Not very good news to say the least. Hoping technology will improve this prediction for those of us facing knee replacement .
Has anyone heard or experienced a more hopeful outcome ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:19 am 

While I haven't had a knee reconstruction/replacement, so take this as a grain of salt, two years ago I was on a junior development camp where one of the riders it turned out had had a knee replacement after injuring it playing football and doing excessive leg press weights, and he seemed to have near normal mobility, and it didn't bug me at all. Shortly afterwards I found out my coach has had a titanium knee for about 8 years, as a result of to much rugby. He needs to make sure he stretches well, and has slightly limited torsional mobility in the knee, but can ride a bike fine without any problems - and he's a bloody decent sprinter, so its not like that knee gets a free ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:07 am 

That's more encouraging than the info this Doctor gave me. Would be great to hear from anyone else with knee replacement/cycling info or personal experience.

If I loose the extra 20 - 30 pounds that I carry around, this knee would be a lot better off also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:45 pm 

My father in law as had both his knees replaced. He had them done in his early 60's. He mentioned starting running. I told him to get a bike. He's never looked back. He is now 75, but does 25 miles on the bike nearly every day.

He was a Rugby League player and was very fast and played in a top team. However, he had 8 operations on his knees. This, in the end left him where his legs looked deformed and bent. He had the first one done. He then had to wait a year for the second one.

He got back full mobility and his legs are completely straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:06 pm 

That's great to hear KB. Thanks !
Makes me happy for your father in law, for my future and for all other cyclist who find themselves in potentially this situation. Very encouraging indeed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:48 am 

Some info I stumbled across. Interesting stuff. More out there if you care to poke around at the various links to research and artificial joint suppliers. I think for those of us possibly facing this procedure, we should do our research and educate ourselves as well as find the right doctor.

http://www.bonesmart.org/knee_replacement.php
http://www.bonesmart.org/exit/out.php?u ... remed.com/
http://www.gustafsonortho.com/whats_new.php
http://www.bonesmart.org/exit/out.php?u ... amtec.com/

Post subject: Re: knee replacement
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:14 pm 

Resurrecting this old thread as medicine has changed a lot of 4-5 years. At 57 I'm bone-on-bone in one knee, and a year ago my orthopedic surgeon said to anticipate knee replacement. I'm seeing him again next week as things have deteriorated; likely we'll try the hyaluronic acid injections first but replacement may be an option.

Who can share updates/stories/personal experience with cycling at higher levels (not twiddling along touring) post knee replacement?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:21 pm 

Had me knee replaced Aug 25 , 2011 after three ACL reconstructs and like you it was down to bone-on-bone and bone spurs. It got to the point that it was giving out when I would get out of the saddle to sprint or just absorb bumps. First time out on the bike was one month post op. Went for an hour out ride and pushed the leg to 300 watts to see what it could do. Took me three hours then get home. Just saw the doctors again today (4 mos post) and both told me I need to slow down my PT and give the recovery plenty of time. I expected to be back to full power within six months. I was mistaken. At 52 years of age, it may take up to a year to be comfortable pushing the bike. Haven't tried the TT bike/position yet. Stability is great, range is motion is pretty good. Soft tissue around the knee is still healing. The quad really shrunk, which is hard to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm 

Bleg, thanks for the insights into your recovery. You're on the bike, which is a goood thing; Hope you continue to make good progress!

Fortunately, looks like my flare-up isn't indicative of the need for surgery in the immediate future. Will likely start the hyaluronic acid injections in the next couple of weeks. Hope to see some good relief with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:31 pm 

This is weight-weenies, so I hope you're thinking about titanium prostheses - much lighter than cobalt-chrome :)

The links to info below look pretty good, and to get some more detailed information, take a look at pub-med (a peer-reviewed journal database); you can download the free full-text articles without journal subscriptions:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... 20outcomes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, and good luck with it

Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm 

OK.....now for the real question; who makes the lightest replacement knee..... :mrgreen: