Training Programs

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I've just purchased the Lance Armstrong Performance Program, I'm wondering what success other riders have had with training programs?

I purchased the book for a few new ideas to avoid plateuing. it looks good so far.

Brian

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

It's my personal opinion that any structured plan will make you improve. I like to train knowing that Im not wasting my time. If you use a power meter you can also see if you are improving or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I've read the book, And have to say that i like the physiological explaination more. I can't find anything about that in the book. Although i think it can be very helpfull to start with. It gives you some advice, sadly not the advice i was looking for.
Try to find books that give you a real insight in hrm training. I like that over powertraining. Hrm training is also easier to start with if your new to training.
Oh, and i didn't quite read the part about the cycling gear that Lance is using, I just "flew" over it with my eyes.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

'the cyclist training bible' by Joel Friel is a fantastic book

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Spaniard - did you look into training bible?? What's you thoughts? I love it.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I've read almost all the book and have based my training program on it, but translating HR levels to power levels. I think it's a all in one book, it gives you ideas of macro/microcycles and how to schedule your weekly training on each phase. IMO if you don't want to pay for a coach, and you want to be your own coach, this is the best book you can buy.

andyrr

by andyrr

I'm wondering if I'd be better served by a coach or by going down the route of self training : up to now I've hrdly had any coaching advice at all and just tend to trian as and when I feel like it, longish rides in the winter leading into shorter more intense rides towards spring time and hten racing / varied rides through the summer etc.
As I work a relatively unhelpful pattern (12hr shifts, 16 day rota with 4 days on, 2 days off, 4 nights, 6 off) I find it difficult to decide in advance an exact training regime as some days I am too tired to do anything and some days I feel better than I might have thought I would have.
Also having a 1 yr old daughter tends to interrupt training schedules !

Generally try to ride RRs of 40 - 70 miles wilth the occasional 10, 25mile or hilly TT thrown in,
Any thoughts gratefully received.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I've done both now. For years I was self-trained and did it based off books available (and my years being a competitive runner). Last year I had a coach. this year I went back to being self-coached.

The big thing for me was that I could not devote enough time to my training to justify having a coach. BUT I was able to bounce questions off of him all year, and really pick his brain, and now I use all that info to handle my training plan for this year. I did learn a couple really important things, so in the long run it WAS worth it for me.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Do you think most of those questions could be answered via a web forum such as Peak Performance?

I agree collecting the info is most important, following that you can create your own program.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Bruiser wrote:Do you think most of those questions could be answered via a web forum such as Peak Performance?

don't know anything about it. Is it an actual FORUM or is it an online coaching site?

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Go and have a look.

Cycling Articles http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/cycling.htm
Forum http://www.pponline.co.uk/community/

I find most training questons are general biomechanic or nutrition which I find PP do rather well, or tactical can be answered amongst other cyclists.

It would save you money for your bike :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com