achilles tendon

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

evilgeek

by evilgeek

one of mine is swollen and sore. when i move my foot i can feel resistance on the tendon as it slides (it feels like it should be accompanied by a squeaking sound). anything i should do other than ice and immobilize it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

i like to freeze a paper cup full of water then rip the cup away, so you can give yourself a massage with the chunk of ice. although, my high school cross country coach put me in the mindset that the more it hurts, the better its working.

amos

by amos

Your best bet is to get to a physiotherapist!! There's not a lot of blood flow to that area so healing can take a long time and if not treated properly it can be a problem that lasts for years (6 years on mine still acts up on me in cold weather).

To help ease mine I had to lower the saddle and shift it forward a little to take some of the pressure off.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

mgordon wrote:i like to freeze a paper cup full of water then rip the cup away, so you can give yourself a massage with the chunk of ice. although, my high school cross country coach put me in the mindset that the more it hurts, the better its working.

Your high school coach is a complete moron.

Watch out for achiles tendonitis, it can become permanent. There are some very specific therapy protocols - see a sports medicine doctor. Also investigate eccentric training but be cautious. The sticking feeling in the tendon is the tendon adhering to the sheath in which it resides. Don't know the name for this problem - see the Doc.