Compression tights

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

magnus

by magnus

Whats the best compression tight out there to help aid with recovery?

Anyone got expierences?

CHeers mag

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Take a search - Skins are pretty good (I have a pair - christmas present), but other members have recomended prescription compression tights (Zakeen from memory). I'm happy with my Skins though, I've only used them 2-3 itmes, when I was first doing long, hard rides after a prolonged period of time off the bike, where I'd get home and my legs would be absolutely cactus. My perception was that with the skins on, the free phosphate, H+ ions and lactate acid (as well as just the DOMS) involved in rapid increases in my training load decreased at a faster rate than I was expecting. Should've really used them on the weekend though, my legs were still sore on Tuesday :?

allons-y

by allons-y

im interested as well

Lardy

by Lardy

I use linebreaker compression tights as a recovery aid. They do seem to make a difference to my recovery after hard sessions. There is evience that they are good for recovery use.
These things are nowhere near as tight as prescription compression tights, and rightly so. They are a different monster all together. I would rather prescribe skins/linebreakers...

johnnyha

by johnnyha

I've been using Skins for a couple of weeks and would recommend them very highly. For example at the moment I'm riding to a c.60km race, doing it, then riding home on a Saturday (about 110km all in) then going out for 4-5hrs of hills Sunday morning. Normally my legs feel terrible on the Sunday but for the last couple of w/e's they've been fine.

I think the most effective use is for a couple of hours immediately after getting in and showering, and possibly to sleep in though I find this can cause me issues when waking up. I'm sure you get the idea.

mises

by mises

When I have tried similar things (even panty hose back in the 80's) and they have helped. But for me the best use is on long plane trips they really help keep the dead leg feeling from getting too bad.

phil s

by phil s

Could the guys who've used these compression tights please answer me something?
Do you just wear them as normal under your clothing after a race/ hard training session? If so, does it get very hot?

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

phil s wrote:Could the guys who've used these compression tights please answer me something?
Do you just wear them as normal under your clothing after a race/ hard training session? If so, does it get very hot?

Skins have 'thermoregulation' - but basically, I've never noticed the heat with them

Lardy

by Lardy

Johnnyha, you must mean that the waist band is too low :D
They ain't too warm when you throw them on under your jeans for a couple of hours

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I use the Jobst ones in 15-20 mmHg. Easy to get online in the US & not expensive either. I have black ones & beige ones. The black ones can easily pass as leg warmers but the beige ones make it look like you have plastic legs. I just tell people at races that I was a burn victim & it keeps the ultra violet rays off my burn scars. :lol:

I have used them for both training & racing. When I have done a hard workout or a race (whether or not I used them during that ride) I will usually put them on for a few hours after that ride. Sometimes I will leave them on all day & sleep with them on at night.

ncjok

by ncjok

Everyone mentions wearing them post ride but pics on the skins webby shows them being used on the bike. Is that the point of them (increase endurance?), or are they merely for recovery?

Cheers

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Both, but it's more about speeding recovery though. I don't like to wear them too much while riding because I like my legs to get tan in the summer!

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

there is a segment in LA's War about compression hose and how the riders were using them in competition until they were banned (would have to check the UCI rulebook)...

but that they still use them post ride and during travel...

g

pritchet74

by pritchet74

That damn UCI - they ban all the good stuff! First the really cool TT bikes & not compression tights - I wonder what will be next........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com