Help deciding on next training tool purchase

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

footwerx

by footwerx

So my birthday's coming up and i've got some cash to spend. Obviously it's going to be on cycling-related stuff, but this year i've decided to get something that has a realistic impact on my performance for a change.

My first thought was to get a powermeter so that i could train with power. I need something that is really plug and play because i don't want to spend more time dealing with servicing and caliberating issues than actually training my ass off. The PT SL seemed quite promising (can't afford the 2.4 version and the early version seems quite bug-infested anyway) but it appears from my search results that there seem to be a lot of issues requiring constant battery changes and returns to Saris for servicing/tuning etc. The Ergomo is also within my budget but that seems quite finicky. Like i said i don't want to spend more time repairing the product than actually using it.

I am also looking at possibly getting something like the E-Motion rollers.

See: http://www.insideride.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=36

I'm a medical student, and my hours can be quite crazy at times. Even in the summer, up to 60% of my bike miles are done exclusively on the indoor trainer late at night, so something like E-motion rollers could really help me to bump up my mileage indoors.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

marko

by marko

I picked up a used SL on Ebay and have been pleased at it has been plug and play. I can even ride indoors using it. I like the fact that they hold value well and resale seems good. From what I've read Saris is top notch for repairs. I wish I had this years ago when it mattered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

What about a used SRM - should be roughly simmilar to an ergomo

frd

by frd

I say go with the powertap SL.
I'm using one for one year and it has been absolutely plug and play. The only maintenance I did was changing the battery, which is really easy.

Make sure it gets built by a good wheelbuilder and lace it in a wheel that is good enough to race: once you get used you will want to use it in races too (I have mine in an open pro/32 cx ray 3x and it's fine).
It's also an excellent tool for indoor training! (2x20'...)

Add to the price of the powertap the cost of WKO+ (cyclingpeaks software) and the book "training and racing with a powermeter", those are a must if you follow the powermeter route.

Lardy

by Lardy

Can't agree enough with frenk. He advised this to me about 6 months ago and it has totally revolutionised my training. I am actually getting legs that look like cyclists', and i no longer look like a darts player!
Totally plug and play using wko+, and the book is an easy and hugely informative read.
I got my sl on ebay too for $850. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Lardy wrote:...I am actually getting legs that look like cyclists', and i no longer look like a darts player!...

:lol: I have trouble imagining that! Dude, you have to come here for a weekend.