chainring size

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TAY72

by TAY72

Hi all, i have been getting a pain in my hip on right leg only after riding for an hour or so.

I usualy ride a mountain bike with triple chainring but have been using the road bike more lately with a double which is narrower by 1/12 or so, could this be the problem and has anyone else experienced any trouble swaping from mtn to road bike or using different chainrings ect?

I have taken a week or so off training now so im not sure whether to leave the road bike until i get a wider chainring..

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

More than the chainrings...

Do you have the same pedals on both bikes (are you wearing the same pair of shoes)? Cleat position has a lot to do with knee issues.

Also- is the seat in a similar position? make sure they are at the ame height and position over the BB.
This board would be MUCH nicer if everybody would just chill out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TAY72

by TAY72

I have the seat at same hight and position and have done for a while.

Cleats seem ok and foot position feels comfetable too, is there any way to check if your cleats are set up ok? i use shimanos which have plenty of float and the cleats seem to sit nicely in the centre so i think they are ok..

It seems to occured since riding more base training rides on the road but i still use the mtn bike for this in crap weather! :(

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Are you referring to Q-factor? As in the width between your pedals/shoes changing?

I didn't quite get the original question but it sounds like this might be what you're talking about. If so, yes, Q-factor will usually change when going from a triple to a double.

TAY72

by TAY72

Yes sorry i didnt know it was called Q factor, that is what i mean.

So are injury problems common when rideing a bikes with different Q factors, like swapping from road bike to mtn bike?