Warming up ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jackal2513

by jackal2513

does anyone know why your performance is so much better once you get in the zone and have warmed up ? What exactly is this process of warming up ... I usually feel pretty under par and sometimes out of breath until I have done about 15 minutes and then I feel like a different person. Is there any websites that explain physiologically or chemically what is going on in the body ?

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Your body has to adapt to sending blood (and therefore oxygen) to your muscles, and not to other parts of your body, (stomach etc.). this si one reason why eating on a ride can be detremental to performance as blood is taken away from your muscles in order to digest the food.

It is also another reason why cold weather affects performance as organs and fingers & toes etc. require more blood to keep them warm.

Im sure there are other reasons that I dont know about aswell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peterpen

by peterpen

evenfasterson wrote:...this si one reason why eating on a ride can be detremental to performance as blood is taken away from your muscles in order to digest the food.

Erm, what are you eating? An entire leg of lamb? :wink:
Eating (or drinking) carbs on a ride is virtually always beneficial to performance as it maintains readily available energy in the bloodstream. (obvious exception - very short TT-type effort.) The other main exception would be if one is taking in so many carbs that it interferes with absorption of fluids, and therefore hydration. General recommendation - take in 1/3 as many calories as you burn (one bottle of mix and one gel per hour of moderate intensity.)

To the OP - a large part of warming up is psychological, getting the mind used to the body working. Light stretching before exercise may help this process (although a recent study indicated no reduction in injury due to pre-exercise stretching.) FWIW, I do 15 minutes of yoga and light stretches before every ride and don't plan any serious efforts until after 20-30 minutes of riding easy.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

peterpen wrote:
evenfasterson wrote:...this si one reason why eating on a ride can be detremental to performance as blood is taken away from your muscles in order to digest the food.

Erm, what are you eating? An entire leg of lamb? :wink:
Eating (or drinking) carbs on a ride is virtually always beneficial to performance as it maintains readily available energy in the bloodstream. (obvious exception - very short TT-type effort.) The other main exception would be if one is taking in so many carbs that it interferes with absorption of fluids, and therefore hydration. General recommendation - take in 1/3 as many calories as you burn (one bottle of mix and one gel per hour of moderate intensity.)

To the OP - a large part of warming up is psychological, getting the mind used to the body working. Light stretching before exercise may help this process (although a recent study indicated no reduction in injury due to pre-exercise stretching.) FWIW, I do 15 minutes of yoga and light stretches before every ride and don't plan any serious efforts until after 20-30 minutes of riding easy.

I meant on a very short term basis while your riding. When i first eat on a ride I feel a little less in my legs for a few minutes.