Powertap & HR Data Problems

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tmanley

by tmanley

I've borrowed a friend's Powertap SL and I'm experiencing problems with the computer unit capturing my heartrate. I'm using my own Polar chest strap that I use with my 720i.

If I hold the computer close to me and don't put it in the craddle the HR data gets picked up and displayed. But after attaching the computer to the bike and rolling down the road, the HR data goes blank.

I've replaced the computer battery and this hasn't helped. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

-Thanks, Todd

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Straps battery might be dead, that happened to me a bit recently. What happened more often though was that I just couldnt get a signal because the hard section of the strap couldnt get a good grip while racing, so, I'm upgrading to the wearlink in a week or so.

Is the polar strap coded or uncoded? Not sure if it'll make a difference or not, but still

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

This evening I hopped on the rollers and tried things out again. Same problem...

So back to the manual and I found this nugget, "PowerTap uses a non-coded chest strap." I pulled up my shirt and examined my Polar chest strap and it clearly states "T61-Coded".

I wonder if this is the problem?!?

What is a wearlink?

Lardy

by Lardy

The powertap computer only works with uncoded belts. The wearlink transmits coded and uncoded, but the t61 is coded only-Ithink.
Wouldn't it have been easier to take the strap off and check? The writing would be the right way up and everyfink

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Lardy wrote:The powertap computer only works with uncoded belts. The wearlink transmits coded and uncoded, but the t61 is coded only-Ithink.
Wouldn't it have been easier to take the strap off and check? The writing would be the right way up and everyfink

I'm pretty sure the polar strap only emits coded signals

IanB

by IanB

My wearlink doesn't work with my PT with any degree of reliability. It would work intermittently, and interestingly would read a wrong value if the PT CPU picked up anything at all. I noticed this when the CPU stopped picking up HR with the PT strap. As a temp measure I used my polar in conjunction with the PT before sending the PT cpu back for warrenty replacement.

tmanley

by tmanley

IanB wrote:As a temp measure I used my polar in conjunction with the PT before sending the PT cpu back for warrenty replacement.

Did the replacement PT cpu fix the problem?

Lardy

by Lardy

No, You're right. Wearlink is coded only. Sorry.

ric

by ric

It sounds as thought the chest strap is the problem, but I do know Power Tap has a known problem with heart rate not registering on the computor. They warranteed mine, no questions asked, beyound original unit warranty.

If you borrowed your friends power tap why not borrow the chest strap as well to verify the problem ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com