Saddle Sore

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bill F

by Bill F

I have one heck of a Saddle sore that really acted up on a long training ride last weekend. Was a long out and back ride in Plus 41 degrees C. Hurts like "H" and I haven't ridden since. It just flaired up over a few days as I've done little riding prior to last weekend for a few weeks due to work related travel. I have a major race in a weeks time (Canadian Long-Course Triathlon Championships). Any ideas for quick relief will be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

How long have you been riding that saddle?

I always get an extreme saddle sore at the end of the season. They say it comes from your body getting used to the saddle. What i do is put a real soft (selle look in) saddle on. I do this for les than a week. After that it is over.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ivan

by Ivan

What exactly is the problem ? Does the skin in that "area" turn red, do you get from those tiny inflammations (or how do you call that ??).

Bill F

by Bill F

I have had the saddle since last fall and to be honest I've never been that happy with it. Last winter on my rollers it was uncomfortable and I had problems with occassional saddle sores. My intention is to change it out this weekend. The area is quite inflammed (red). During the ride last weekend the discomfort started near the turn around point so I had little option but to continue to ride with the discomfort (no short cuts back as I was riding on Mountain roads). I suspect the heat caused the problem to be accentuated.

Ivan

by Ivan

Well what can I say ? I guess there is only one option ... get rid off the saddle. However if youre forced to ride another few weeks on the saddle I recomand you to threat the area with lactic acid. Best way is to use a soap called "LACTACYD" for more information:
http://www.gsk.com/products/consumerhealthcare.jsp
(Trademark: Lactacyd, category: dermatological)

Another possibility is to use yoghourt, i know it sounds silly but believe me ... it helps !

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

another way is to put Neosporin (or something similar) on it at least twice daily. I had one show up due to my leg length discrepancy, and with the added milage I was doing it got real nasty. My coach made me not lance it (as I planned), but the neosporin made it "open" and then it healed quickly. gross regardless...

If this saddle has always given you problems, get rid of it!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

There are chamios creams you can buy.

I use an anti-bacterial Tea Tree Oil gel (which is effective for my skin * thinks back to his days of pimples*).

Try changing your saddle position. I regularly use a saddle that's not 100% comfortable cause I can't afford a comfortable one (not that I've found one).

I hope it gets better

Brian

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

Saddle sores.....the bane of any cyclist who has had them. I find that if I pop them they heal faster (I know they say not to) but this helps in my case.

cheers

Ralph
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com