recovery time

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KOGAN

by KOGAN

hi

as a junior i have had a quite hard season on the road starting in january. i have done 3 national events and over 3000 miles of racing and near to 10,000 miles riding. now as racing is stopping due to winter i think its time for a break. i want to do cyclo cross this winter as well as train hard for next road season as it will be my last season as a junior. how much rest should i have? and when should i have it? i dont feel particularly tired so i thought maybe 2 weeks?

how much rest are other people having? also are you doing anything in the rest period such as riding easily?

thanks

KOGAN

Koen

by Koen

the 'normal' restperiod is the whole month of October. ofcourse, this depends on your own fatigue, important here is the mental aspect, you have to recharge your batteries, physically but mentally as well!
usually, you don't have any physical activity during this period, but this is not a common thing. if you really want to ride your bike, you can ofcourse but the motto is: nothing is obligated, just do as you like

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peterpen

by peterpen

I'm taking two weeks super easy (one or two rides/ week, all rides active recovery pace, >2hr) and then a week with no bike at all followed by an easy week (2 -3 rides, easy pace, > 2hr.) Maybe an hour of hiking every day just so I don't go insane, plus yard work - have to try and tame the jungle that appears during race season. :lol:

My main goal is to be truly rested and really motivated when I start training again. Toward that end, I won't be doing cross - want to save my competitive drive up for the stuff I really care about (and need to maximize 'at home time' with family.)

KOGAN

by KOGAN

thanks guys, to be honest i really want to get back on my bike after just a week off so will probably get back on next wednesday and do a cross race on saturday but in between cross i will keep my mileage down and keep the intensity down as well.

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

I think you have to consider your level of burnout, too. I decided to carry over my fitness last year. In 2005 I had a late start on my training due to health and personal issues so I peaked late in the season and by October/November, I just wanted to stay on the bike. The result was peaking too early (May/June), and then becoming very burned out by August. I've bounced back some for my upcoming 24 hour race, but I know mentally I'm cooked, so I'll be taking three weeks completely off with no training. Only after that break will I resume some cross training into early January when I'll return to the bike. My season doesn't start until later (first race is April, but most of the season for me is late Mar or early June-August).

In any case, keep your mental health and sanity in mind. There's not much worse than getting to the peak of the season and just dreading getting onto the bike. I won't make the same mistake again. From now on I'm taking both a total training break and a seasonal sport change.
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

hucklesby

by hucklesby

i am taking two weeks completely off then 5 weeks of gym work, cross training and casual cycling then start my base in november. im a second year junior and am moving up to adult catagories next year.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I usually take 6 weeks off, from oct to middle of Nov. I can't cycle in the winter here so I XC ski (Skate) in the winter. Do some races here and there, I'm not competitive though. The XC skiing really helps with the Aero and Anaerobic condition. Around March I pull out the winter gear and get to it. Nov through March or so is to cold and way to much snow.

When I was your age (as if I'm so much older) I wanted to be on the bike 24/7. I would suggest you take some time off and not even think about the bike; put it under a tarp and don't even look at it. By this time of year I'm praying for the weather to get bad so I can start waxing skis and packing up my riding stuff. Come spring, I can't wait to hop on the bike.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Dont know if an non professional racer needs a break like the pros. I doubt it. If you feel exhausted be it..if not..why should you stop training?

If you plan your training you have periodic recover weeks. So you shouldnt be exhausted after the season. Do what you like in the winter. In the season you are focused, your training needs to be this or that way cause of races. You cant do what you like you need to do the things or you fail in the competition. You are a kind of slave of your trainingplan.

Winter is off season have fun, if you feel like burning the asphalt ..do it..if you feel lazy..be it, just dont miss a minimum of training. Go to the gym train your hole body. Do some other sports if you can or like. Listen to your body and train what he wants.
Dont have any trainingplan at all in that time. Your arent a professional, biking should be fun.

Koen

by Koen

I disagree Haddafahn, i think the most of the riders (which are competitive and not 'tourists') are at the end of the season tired and should rest. this rest is necessary to let the body restore the balance. injuries, such as saddle-pains or musle-blockings can now heal, because during the season there was never time to do that.
this restperiod shouldn't last longer than 3weeks, because you lose too much of your form, so you would have to start all over again from 0.
if you want to achieve during the season, it's equally necessary to have a trainingschedule in winter as during the season.
it's normal you put on a little weight, but more than 3kgs is too much and will slow you down in your way back to your top-form.
there has to be a good trainingschedule, e.g. rest october, november swimming combined with running and fitness, december, training on the crossbike, fitness, januari crossbike and normal bike endurance, februari endurance and speed. this is very general, but the idea that in winter it's not neccesary to plan training and to be really involved in cycling is wrong i think

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Maybe you missunderstood me a little. I agree with all you said. What i dislike is to be a slave of common and general things people do or pros do. It is you who needs to decide whats good for you or not. like i said. What is what you want or what you need. I wouldnt take a break cause the pros have one in october. Is that a reason to have one too in your specific case?

If your mind and body screems for cycling in october...why say no? Makes no sense at all.

Koen

by Koen

this too is a reason to rest, in this case maybe not completely off the bike, you can perfectly keep on riding, but at recovery pace.
maybe you're feeling 100% in october and you just keep on going, resulting in fatigue in march or april...
i think it's necessary to cut back and take rest because otherwise you might be too exhausted during the season.
i agree on saying that everybody should do what he likes the most, cross, in the velodrome... whatever

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

STARNUT wrote:Around March I pull out the winter gear and get to it. Nov through March or so is to cold and way to much snow.

Starnut, I live in a cold climate as well (middle of Canada). Probably a lot colder than your local, and we ride ALL year. I cut back time and rides tend to be around 1 hour outside, but it can be done.

I am doing a couple of cross races just for fun and to hang out with the guys. But nothing too structured now til January. I just try recharge and stay active. I probably still ride 3-4 times a week now until the deep freeze starts, (but just riding, no set training rides). Then once it gets really cold, 1-3 times a week outside and I also switch over to nordic skiing 2 times a week. Maybe some running and also hockey once a week (it' the law in Canada, we have to play.)
blah, blah, blah

KOGAN

by KOGAN

i have had a week off but really felt i wanted to ride so ive been doing 2-4 hour rides with a group of mates. gonna keep the intensity low to medium and do 3 or four rides a week.

evilgeek

by evilgeek

i'm a big fan of taking my pulse upon waking each morning and writing in down in a journal. it can give you a hint as to whether you are burned out or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

KOGAN wrote:hi

as a junior i have had a quite hard season on the road starting in january. i have done 3 national events and over 3000 miles of racing and near to 10,000 miles riding. now as racing is stopping due to winter i think its time for a break. i want to do cyclo cross this winter as well as train hard for next road season as it will be my last season as a junior. how much rest should i have? and when should i have it? i dont feel particularly tired so i thought maybe 2 weeks?

how much rest are other people having? also are you doing anything in the rest period such as riding easily?

thanks

KOGAN

Get CyclingPeaksSoftware WKO+ (and a power meter).
John979