Saddle height/tilt, leg/achilles strain question...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LukeVelo

by LukeVelo

So I finally got my Toupe saddle leveled perfectly -- I tilted it back a bit. Now I feel a bit of strain in my left hamstring, but a little in my right achilles. With the current tilting back of the saddle, it feels like I raised my seat height a bit.

All I know is that my right foot never feels right. I'm always playing around with my cleat and float on the DA pedals. I've order the Specialized Pro Carbons and going to get properly fitted as far as camber and all that. But untill I get my new shoes, what should I do?

Oh, I can't lower my saddle because I have an ISP I got second hand from a guy who is slightly taller than me. I might get a CM chopped off the ISP when I get my fitting, but what would cause me to have hamstring in the left and achilles in the right? Could it mean that my right leg is a bit shorter, my stroke is off? BTW, my right foot is smaller by a half size and even with an extra insole, there is a bit of slop. This was also after a ride that was pretty much staight up a mountain for an hour and a half. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LukeVelo on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm heading southeast on Bakalakadaka Street.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Since you've just changed the saddle, I'd recomend sitting tight for at least a few days to make sure its not just your body taking its time to adapt to the new position. If not, get a proper bike fit, as you can still get the ISP chopped down a bit, but if its a decent fitter doing the job, it'll be down to a position that you wont need to ever change (which is good when your on an ISP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ash

by ash

I recently went through a few months of getting very bad achilles tendon pain on my left leg. I tried all sorts of things to try and fix it, but to no avail. It ended up being that my cleats were very worn, as were the little plastic platforms that were stuck into the spd-sl pedals.

Not saying that this will be your problem, but a) it could be worth a look, and b) someone with body mechanics experience as well as bike fit experience might be able to see something not quite right.

Ash

slowrider

by slowrider

Most people are little assymmetrical on bike, i feel terribly assymmetrical, my left leg is is more muscular and foot is bigger, i wish i will someday feel
like a bike rider :(

Hyde

by Hyde

In effort to get myself best setup for my new ride I took advantage of a computer setup of of my shoes to my pedals last week. You might check around but one of our local shops has a machine that has a plate glass with measurements for each foot. As you stand on this glass with your foot properly positioned it scans the bottom of your feet into the computer where the operator takes his measurements. From this he places your shoes into a jig & places your cleats exactly where they need to be. Results? So far so good. I am still playing with my saddle (toupe also :wink: ) to get it perfect but everything else feels great!....Oh, & the shoe setup cast me $20. Not bad for perfection!!!