oatmeal in the mornings

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

airsoft510

by airsoft510

is oatmeal a good meal to eat before a race/ big ride? if so how do you guys make your oatmeal? i mix it with brown sugar, butter and a little milk, but im looking for something a little more tasty. and them i take a digestive pill

Tim

by Tim

it depends. I don't like to eat it oatmeal. I can't eat enough of it 'cause I'm always hungry an hour after i eat it or something like that, and I'm always eating 2½-3H before start.

I prefer to eat rice and fish or something in the morning before race. I can't stay satisfied 4-5H on regular breakfast food, the same in weekends with distance training early in morning before lunch.

pasta is otherwise good and easy to eat before race, if your stomach doesn't get worried, as mine does when I eat durum wheat (Triticum durum, durum wheat is perhaps wrong word?).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

airsoft510 wrote:is oatmeal a good meal to eat before a race/ big ride? if so how do you guys make your oatmeal? i mix it with brown sugar, butter and a little milk, but im looking for something a little more tasty. and them i take a digestive pill

It is good sweetened with honey and with raisins added to it. Both of these add nutrients to something which is already healthy.

12x23

by 12x23

oatmeal with cinammon apple sauce...all you need to know about oatmeal. :)

nikh

by nikh

1 cup Oatmeal, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon flax seed, 1 cup 2% milk and nuke for 2 minutes. I usually (try) to eat this 30 minutes before riding.

Not much of a better recipe than yours really :lol:

LukeVelo

by LukeVelo

Before I ride I keep it simple and stay away from dairy because I heard it does something to increase lactic acid production, but what do I know.

Saying that, I like it with some salt, banana, honey and mix in some granola that has dried fruit and nuts, a dash of milk, viola.
I'm heading southeast on Bakalakadaka Street.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

LukeVelo wrote:Saying that, I like it with some salt, banana, honey

hmmm... i never thought about that, a banana would taste good in it

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Heap of brown sugar. Never have it before a ride as I find it too heavy.

Sportlov

by Sportlov

Aaah the classic cross-country skiing breakfast. I prefer some jam and/or some suger on mine. 90% of the people here use milk on theirs too. I do eat it before some races, depends a little. Some people claim that it's not ideal due to some hyration issue or something. But I guess thats personal. My friend eat it too and he kick my ass on normal (sub 6h) races/events.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

I find most anything w/ a high fiber content to be bad news before a ride... but i suppose if you're having it 3+ hrs before the ride it shouldn't be too bad. I like mine w/ plenty of brown sugar.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

rohaimie

by rohaimie

Taking oats before a ride is very bad,had bad experienced before.I find myself becoming very restless and unable to push myself like i always do.So no no for me.. :(
italian bikes rules!

BikeMike

by BikeMike

I eat oatmeal/porridge every day.

But i dont just eat oatmeal. Before i eat oatmeal
i usaually eat bread with ham or cheese and two bananas. Then i eat the deliously oat meal with milk :) If you just eat oatmeal the oatmeal will go trough your body like superman and you will be feeling hungry after 1 hour.

I know that fibers have laxative impact on your body but I got no problems :)

Greetings from Scandinavia...

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Gotta be careful with oatmeal. It will swell up in your stomach, so let it stand in milk or water over night or 1h before you eat it. Its not "crunshy" anymore but it wont swell up in your stomach. But anyway taste good^^.

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

LukeVelo wrote:Before I ride I keep it simple and stay away from dairy because I heard it does something to increase lactic acid production, but what do I know.

There's some out there that don't recognize the difference between Lactic Acid (a byproduct of the anaerobic breakdown of glucose) and Lactose (a fatty sugar found in milk). One has absolutely nothing to do with the other, so I wouldn't worry about it. Milk is a 'ell of a lot better for you pre-race than a lot of other things in the world. Good for the bones, too. :wink:
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

i don't eat flake oatmeal because it has too high of a glycemic index,and quite frankly the texture is gluey if cooked.

i eat whole grains instead (mixture of barley, wheat, etc); these i cook in a slow cooker overnight with twice as much water by volume as grains, plus a bit of sea salt. i cook enough for the whole week at once, which is about 200ml of uncooked grains/day.

i eat the grains hot (microwave the pre-portioned leftovers), sprinkled with ground flax seed (for brain function), bee pollen (for immune function), and wheat germ, topped with crushed walnuts (brain function), yogurt (digestive maintenance), and raisins, sweetened with brown sugar, and loosened with soy milk (moderately lactose intolerant).

coffee with cream.

on race/high intensity/duration days i'll eat a couple eggs and a fruit in addition to the grain melange, 2.5-3 hours before riding. i top up with a muffin or light sandwich one hour before riding.

another good breakfast is fried rice and bananas: saute a sliced banana in butter, add a whack of brown sugar and a little water and make a syrup, add cooked rice (great for leftover rice from last nite's dinner, white, brown, coconut, whatever), and fry until rice is warmed through. keep stirring or it'll stick. sprinkle a little nutmeg or cinnamon on top. yum!

or blueberry pancakes!