HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:58 pm 

I've entered this years SSMM (UK based 24 hour MTB event: http://www.ssmm.co.uk/) as a soloist, possibly against my better judgement.

I'm not sure how to structure my training to cope with such a prolonged period of effort. I am used to high distance MTB work, and participate in events in the 60-100mile bracket, and currently have a high degree of fitness for that distance. My training currently involves about 100-120 miles/ week, 50% of which is usually road work.

Can anyone let me have some info on training intensities and distances for this kind of event, and your experiences of participating in one?

thanks!

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:16 am 

IanB wrote:
I've entered this years SSMM (UK based 24 hour MTB event: http://www.ssmm.co.uk/) as a soloist, possibly against my better judgement.

I'm not sure how to structure my training to cope with such a prolonged period of effort. I am used to high distance MTB work, and participate in events in the 60-100mile bracket, and currently have a high degree of fitness for that distance. My training currently involves about 100-120 miles/ week, 50% of which is usually road work.

Can anyone let me have some info on training intensities and distances for this kind of event, and your experiences of participating in one?

thanks!

I'd like to know other's opinion on this also as I'm training to do Randonneur this season (have a 200k exactly one month from now). I've done almost 200k several times, but never with the climbing they have on these rides. This first ride has about 8k feet of climbing.

Anyway, I'm reading this book and recommend it: "The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling" by Edmund R. Burke and Ed Pavelka. I think it's not as much the miles as it is intensity of training, and I'm learning this from experience. Pushing it while riding, going long intervals at 90% effort, etc. Good rest as in more frequent days off (or very light days). Last year I rode almost every day I could. I should have taken off more time and rode with more intensity. An interesting point that stands out from the book, that most of it is mental. I don't think I've challenged myself enough yet to say that's true but I believe it must be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:51 pm 

One thing I was told by a cycling coach was that you could turn speed into endurance, but you can't turn endurance into speed. With that in mind, it might be best to ride longish intervals (3 to 10 minutes) rather than try to do one long base ride a week. Even when you do have good fitness, I think it is still important to ride at or close to your event ditance two or three times before your event. They don't need to be at your event intensity, but I think it's helpful just to get used to being on your bike for such a long time.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:12 pm 

I think it is important to do some very long rides, to train your efficiency and fat metabolism.....
(I'm a speedskater and do mostly short, intensive trainings. That makes me fast but after 3 hours I'm just empty....)