muscle cramps: how to avoid them?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobalou

by bobalou

Just an addendum to my earlier comments .. I was using buffered salt tablets. They were working, but they had their limits. I found that cutting out any soda and drinking water instead helped allot. I was drinking way too much soad (mostly diet drinks) through the day and it just doesn't do your system much good, I think it effects electrolyte levels maybe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willwest

by willwest

Myself i'm using magnesium and potassium and of course drink,drink.
That helps for me.

Still i can wake up at night with cramp inone of my legs, never had that when i was into swimming or running. :roll:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

are you flexible?

It doesn't sounds like the substitutes are working.

willwest

by willwest

are you flexible?

Yes i'd say i'm. I've allways spent some time with stretching after a training session, it's a part of my routine.
I still think the substitutes help me during races, i hardly get any cramps during races any more.

I'm on a diet with more minerals theese days and i check if that helps for my "nigthcramps".
Still bike seasson is comming to and end here i the north, skiing seasson is next and xc-skiing will ease up my legs.

bobalou

by bobalou

willwest wrote:
are you flexible?

Yes i'd say i'm. I've allways spent some time with stretching after a training session, it's a part of my routine.
I still think the substitutes help me during races, i hardly get any cramps during races any more.

I'm on a diet with more minerals theese days and i check if that helps for my "nigthcramps".
Still bike seasson is comming to and end here i the north, skiing seasson is next and xc-skiing will ease up my legs.

Quinine, which can be found in tonic water, will stop the "night cramps". I use it for after a hard ride .. when someone first told me about it I must admit I doubted it. But after I tried it I can say quinine works.

Do a google search on it .. or here's a link for example:

http://www.vitaminproshop.com/hyllegcramwq.html

ihcnaib

by ihcnaib

9 times out of 10 its actually a lack of early season form.
I did a race last weekend, which I was not prepared for, sure enuff, the cramps turned up on lap 3, despite me taking magnesium the night and morning before, took some during the race... then on the last lap, the legs went awol, but no cramp. A sign of how out of shape I was!
Grovelled home, so sick I couldnt eat or drink at all.

The only answer. Train more and make sure you race fully hydrated.
Crampstop magnesium pills may help. It helps to be prepared.

Jeff

bobalou wrote:I cramped up on an early season hard ride a couple weeks ago. It
was near the end of the club ride which was a typical sand-bag fest
with the sandbaggers pushing the pace. I guess about the 45 mile
mark. I had to ease off and remembered I should have been
drinking more even though I wasn't thirsty.

Anyway, I've got some of my own ideas on avoiding cramps.. the
obvious is drink, drink. But once you get them any ideas on what
works to get rid of them? I've heard "biting your upper lip" and
eating an antacid tablet! .. but haven't tried anything yet. Anyone
ever had problems with them and if so, what did you do that helped?

OLver

by OLver

Bruiser wrote:I heard Magnesium and Potasium work together in the muscle and that a lack of either would create cramping.

Brian

it's magnesium and calcium.

potassium works principally with sodium

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I heard that Potassium and Magnesium are required in the muscle for each contraction. Didn't mean they work together but both are required.

I'm guessing calcium deficencies would be unusual.

smallfish101

by smallfish101

Calcium deficiencies are unusual. If you are deficient it is more likely to be magnesium or potassium. Just be careful with potassium - it is required in small amounts and a large dose can make you sick. The most important is hydration. Drink, drink and drink more. And not Bud Light :lol:
GO HARD OR GO HOME

bobalou

by bobalou

ihcnaib wrote:9 times out of 10 its actually a lack of early season form.
I did a race last weekend, which I was not prepared for, sure enuff, the cramps turned up on lap 3, despite me taking magnesium the night and morning before, took some during the race... then on the last lap, the legs went awol, but no cramp. A sign of how out of shape I was!
Grovelled home, so sick I couldnt eat or drink at all.

The only answer. Train more and make sure you race fully hydrated.
Crampstop magnesium pills may help. It helps to be prepared.

Jeff

I'm going to guess that you're in the southern hemisphere of the world if you just started racing! The season is ending where I am. I agree that cramps are more likely early in the season, but disagree that it's 9 times out of 10. Maybe if it's early season, it's more likely that training will compensate, but my experience is it's more then just training. Even the best trained atheletes can cramp late into the season.

big fellow

by big fellow

dear list

this could take a while, so please read through....will try keep it short and sweet :D

* the actual cause of muscle cramp is not completely known, it's still debated in sports science

* the main culprits are dehydration, and as has been mentioned, electrolyte imbalances, including sodium, potassium and magnesium

* has little to do with lactic acid

* fatigue also plays a significant role, both muscular and neuromuscular

* muscular - fatigue of the actual fibres

* neuromuscular - junction where your nerve meets your muscle, and neuromtrasmitters are released to facilitate muscular contraction. This undergoes fatigue as well, greatly affecting contraction

* remember that cramps do not necessarily occur due to exerecise - eg women get stomach cramps when they menstruate

Hope that helps, short of going on and on and on.... :wink:

bikingenigma

by bikingenigma

Before I was referred to 'E-caps' endurolytes, NOTHING prevented my cramps. I tried bananas, energy drinks, riding slow, riding fast, water, salt, you name it, I tried it, with very limited results. Research revealed it was an electrolyte problem, enhanced by diet/weather/riding intensity factors. All I know for sure it when I use this stuff, I can ride without fear of cramps. I'm not sponsered by these guys or benefit from mentioning their name. I simply found this stuff works for me. Cheers!