Knee problems please help me.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lardy

by Lardy

How do you determine this? Local tenderness, pain in certain movements, loads? Just curious.

Just, so, with a few fancy little tests thrown in. Biomech presenation to assessment is also very valuable

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Just to clear up any confusion. The pain wasn't behind the knee cap. It was above and to the interior of the knee. It then moved lower.

Lardy (or Dave, as I now know him) spent last saturday with me giving me a full biomechanical assessment. He watched me on both of my bikes and we made changes to set ups, cleats, and the insoles I use. He also suggested core strength exercises and yoga is something that I have been told to persue elsewhere. All in all following the history and full inpection of my knees, feet, posture and balance, I was there for 5 hours. All of this he did for a bag of sweets!

All of us here agree on one thing. Knees are very complicated and diagnosis cannot be done online. That wasn't my intention in starting this thread. I really appreciate the time that everyone has taken. I still intend to catch up with Lawrence (Mr.Gib) and talk to him about his experiences (both knee and Swedish nanny related).

I will also update you all on my progress through this thread. At the moment, I still feel like a fraud in my biking kit, as it has been so long since I had a decent ride.

Lardy

by Lardy

What did you do that for Rich?
I was going to charge him to show him some secrets. I think he's after my job. (foolish man)
I'm skint you know, because of this site!!!
Got a nice bike though.
Your riding will come back, I'm sure, but remember to come for a review.(jelly babies that time)

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Lardy wrote:..... remember to come for a review.(jelly babies that time)

For review read thrash around the mountains!

Lardy

by Lardy

You gonna bend ya bike with power output.
And some of our local trails :D
That Klein will take some punishment I'm sure. (My mrs loves the colour of your bike too)
Don't make me cry though, you're half my weight.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well Rich,

This sounds good that you don't have a serious biomechanic issue. This problem sounds like it is in the inflamation family. Can be stubborn. Great that Lardy tweaked your setup and all for some sweets.

A couple things: in my limited research it seems that the medical establishment is not too sure exactly how your problem should be treated. Most documents seem to point to chemical intervention (NSAID's, cortisone injection, etc.) I didn't see any specified physiotherapy exercises although physiotherapy was mentioned. What is your plan for beating this condition?

Also if that first doctor did identify a muscle imbalance you need to be on the lookout for PFS regardless. Maybe there is a connection. If that first assessment is correct in that the lateral quads are doing more then their share of the work, then maybe the Pes Anserinis Bursitis is your knee's response. Just a thought.

jadapak

by jadapak

Lately -for the last week- I have quite some clicking too in the knee (but no pain) and it feels like it doesn't move as smoothly as usual. I had almost two weeks off in between after which all problems which started the week before that went away. I should note that I fell before that but did not notice any spêcific pain on my knee even though I had some roadrash around the knee and partly landed on it. This was almost a month ago
I saw my gp this week who checked my knee and he could not find anything whatsoever.
I also changed my cleat position a bit and the feeling moved to the other right outisde of the knee from the front center... :noidea:
Any suggestions if I should see someone?
Thanks,
Jadapak

ger

by ger

Hi Richard, I have not gone through the list of replies, so this may have been suggested before: Glucosamine/Chrondoitine tablets.
I had knee problems as well, which I located as being behind my kneecap. After 3 weeks of taking Gluco, the problems completely disappeared. After that I took a lower maintenance dose, which was enough for the problems not reoccurring. The gluosamine acts as a lubricant in the joints and accellerates repair of damaged cartilage. It is also produced by the human body as well but in some cases that may not be sufficient. After I year of use I stopped taking it, thinking I could do without it and after a couple of months the problems came back. I tried the Gluco again and I worked again for me in about 3 weeks.
Good luck!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

For both Jadapak and ger,

If you have anterior knee pain (pain in, around, under the knee cap) it is a sign of a biomechanical problem that can only be truly fixed with good physiotherapy. The suppliments may buy you some time but if the biomechanics remain faulty, chances are that you will run into more serious problems. These problems will usually show up when you increase your distances or intensity.

As for clicking in the knee, this is a classic sign of a patella tracking problem. Could be many other things but the right thing to do is to see a sports medicine doctor who deals with elite athletes and get is sorted out. Also take a look here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=11620

jadapak

by jadapak

Mr Gib,
Thank you very much for your advice.
For the moment I am not experiencing any pain but I am looking for a doctor indeed.
Thanks,
Jadapak

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jadapak wrote:Mr Gib,
Thank you very much for your advice.
For the moment I am not experiencing any pain but I am looking for a doctor indeed.
Thanks,
Jadapak

In 1984 while on a hard training ride I noticed a click in my left knee. I ignored it and the next day had severe pain on the medial side of my knee. At the time physiotherapy was not as advanced as it is today so I was never properly cured. I am still limited to 80% effort.

Some clicks are benign (do no harm). But if you are aware of the click while you are riding you should be concerned. The good news is that in most cases problems like this can be cured with the right physio program.

Good luck.

jadapak

by jadapak

Well, I don't experience any click when I am actually riding. Just when I am off the bike. I do feel my (right) knee somewhat but it does not acutally hurt, meaning it just feels different. Today I did a long ride with quite some climbing in the north of France and I am waiting to see how it feels over the next two or three days. If there is any deterioration, I am heading to the first scanning machine in my area for a serious check up. If not, maybe too... :?
I really appreciate your advice and do not hesitate in setting me straight as I am not posting this queston in order to ignore good advice!
Jadapak

drjones96

by drjones96

Just asking but if you have a more forward position on the saddle does it put more stress on your knees?

jadapak

by jadapak

No Dr Jones,
When on the bike I do not experience any pain or cliclking whatsoever, it only sometimes feels like my knee is a bit thicker, a feeling that changes if I point my knee a bit more outward...so no more stress in a forward position, at least not that I can feel it.

P.s. If anyone happens to know (or is) a sports doctor in Paris, France ,do not hesitate to send me his adress!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Dr. Patrick Nédelec ......

But I think he got suspended after his doping related problems at the GAN team :lol:
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.