cant sustain hard workouts...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattyc

by mattyc

hi guys... i'm a mtb xc/enduro racer in a heavy build phase

i'm unable to sustain race efforts for more than about 15 mins, h/rate slightly suppressed.

usually do 50 mins 175-185 - its hard but i can sustain the effort - but not managing it for the last week or so.... warm up ok - launch into workout, h/rate ok-ish, then after 15 mins run out of energy and unable to sustain effort to raise h/rate to usual levels....

can go all day at 150-160ish - just not hard race type pace...

we have just had our first child ten days ago, so not getting much sleep, hence probably not getting much recovery....

i've backed off for 4-5 days to see if overtraining, but feel ok other than unable to sustain hard efforts or raise h/r... dont feel like a cold is in the pipeline either...

whaddya reckon?
I was standing in the park, wondering why frisbees get larger as they fly towards you. Then it hit me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Could be that your not recovered, what with the new baby and no sleep. Congrats by the way :D . If you are unable to raise your heart rate to a certin level at the same power output/PRE then it sounds like you have accute fatigue. Not uncommon at the end of a heavy build phase. I also have trouble getting mine up after 4 weeks of intense building. The best thing I ever did was through that damn heart rate moniter away and get a power meter. Even at the end of a build phase, when your tired but feel good (which is what it sounds like in your case), watts are watts. 300 watts is 300 watts, even when your heart is refusing to cooperate. If you don't have a power meter do the end builds with an eye/ear towards PRE, not heart rate. Get a power meter, for a mountain bike I would imagine the new Ergomo would work the best. Sealed up nice and tight and you can run what ever wheels and cranks you want.

Also , get some extra rest. Take a day off *gasp* and take a nap, with the new kido'. You'll feel much better.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

Clarkster

by Clarkster

Are you self coached, or are you getting advice?

You are either getting into peak build - where fatigue will be accumulating - and have an easy week on the horizon, or you're trying to do too much.
Bike + Clarky = :)

I love Krank

JK

by JK

Congratulations. By now, it probably dawned on you there is more to life than cycling :wink:

There is just one major rule: A hard workout only makes sense if you are well rested.

brf

by brf

Sounds like over training - probably induced by not being able to recover properly. 15 mins is too short for it to be a fueling problem.

I'd take a week off and start again once you've gained some sleep.

NB Do you take your resting pulse every morning - if not it's a good way to see how well you have recovered ie the higher your pulse is above normal resting, the less recovered you are. No point in doing a zone 4/5 effort unless you are recovered for it.

TheBigBlueGiant

by TheBigBlueGiant

mattyc wrote:
we have just had our first child ten days ago, so not getting much sleep, hence probably not getting much recovery....

Not only are you missing out on sleep and recovery, but when you *are* awake you're under an incredible amount of 'stress'. This emotional stimulus depletes your energy/taxes your body as much as riding your bike. I've experienced the same thing (dad of twins!!!) and found the best thing to do is build back up using say 10 minute intervals at your target intensity.

You will adapt to having less sleep very quickly. I use to ride 5 days a week but now only ride 3 (occassionally 4) days at a higher intensity (level 3 or 4 based on Andrew Coggan's power zones) and I'm still making progress.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com