Getting back on after 1 year

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spytech

by spytech

What would be the best advice to getting back on the bike after 1 year of off the bike. gained some weight at 185lbs now 6 feet tall, when i was on the bike i was 165 - 170lbs. i am almost done and will be getting on the bike very soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

:welcome: back Spytech :wink:

I think the best thing to do is just get out there and ride! Have fun on the bike and slowly build up the time you spend in the saddle!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Spytech,

ride a lot, without a computer, and without measuring distance if you can stand it. It will allow you to ride 'how you feel' rather than trying to up your average etc to what it once was.

Also, ride new routes. Don't ride where you used to ride, and climb climbs that you know you used to do in X gear. This will discourage you.

Finally just enjoy it. You should also ride every now and then with you brother, just to push you a bit! :D

Rich

drjones96

by drjones96

Ride lots but start out easy. I too, took some time off a couple of years ago and the road back wasn't very smooth. Don't beat yourself to a pulp initially.....wait until you've got yourself back to form before you do that.

spytech

by spytech

Thanks, guys. riding and having fun is what its all about for me. i usually dont ride with a computer, i was thinking about getting one, i guess your right i will hold off on that and just get a feel for it. i dont expect to get back in the same form overnight. some of the team guys have been telling me im going to suffer on their wheels, heh. i will ride at my pace and push myself a little more everyweek.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

You may also wish to visit an osteo and/or chiro to make sure you're aligned. If you get back on a bike set up for 12 months ago you may not be supple enough or you may have clicked something out of shape?

KB

by KB

Marlboro Man wrote:You may also wish to visit an osteo and/or chiro to make sure you're aligned. If you get back on a bike set up for 12 months ago you may not be supple enough or you may have clicked something out of shape?
Good post. I think that's what my problem is at the moment. I've recently upped the amount of time on the bike and the last couple of weeks I've been having problems with pain in my back, shoulders and arms. I think I've misaligned something.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Ideal scenario would be to get realigned by an osteo/chiro then do some gym work with light riding then get on with riding again.

diamantegeezer

by diamantegeezer

Glad you're getting back into it mate !

I just started a comeback after a 3 year break (Uni) and made the mistake of trying to 'pick up where I left off' :shock: but as we all know, you very quickly lose fitness, and it takes a lot longer to gain it !! :cry:

But, muscles do have a 'memory' and quickly adapt when you start pushing them again, I would suggest that on one of your first rides you find a decent hill and time yourself up it... when you get home make out a training diary entry and record not just the time taken, but how it felt and even the number of foot downs you had to make !!

Be honest in your account, and then 3 months down the line, ride the same hill and again make an entry, and compare the two ! this should give you some fantastic motivation to carry on :D

No two ways about it, when you start out again it bl***y hurts - a lot !

but keep a diary and make achievable short and long term goals and you'll get there.

Best of luck :wink:

ericm

by ericm

I got back to riding after 8 years off the bike, at age 40. Being slow and 30 lbs overweight was very frustrating, because I could remember how fast I'd been "back in the day". I'd been active for some of the 8 years riding motorcycle trials, but not so much the last couple, so I was pretty out of shape.

Since much of the reason I'd quit had been burn-out from too structured a training regimen and not enough rest, I made sure to avoid those. So no bike computer (I mapped out rides ahead of time so I would not try to do too much), no HRM, no structure Just ride, not too many days a week. I also worked out in the gym to build core and leg strength. It wasn't too long before I was enjoying my rides, then looking for challenges.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com